1911Forum banner

The official gripmakers showcase thread

877K views 3K replies 532 participants last post by  1911adix 
#1 · (Edited)
Rules are now gone since some posters tended to ignore them anyway.

Go for it.. :)

#61 ·
Trying something different in the design part. I wanted to try something new around the MSH pin area. I'm calling this the double-bevel cut. It will not work for bobtail frames though. The angle of the cut is different than bobtail frames. We'll see if this new design catches on. If not, the wood is just so pretty that I'll end up putting the grips on my own gun!

#62 ·
Wow, Sarge!!! Those are some the nicest looking grips I think I've ever seen. The snakewood is especially nice. Although the maple burl is amazing too.

#65 ·
I've got something WAY unique for you guys to check out - Sea Cow bone. Sea Cows were hunted by sailors into extinction in the mid 1700's. They were slow moving and easy to hunt and eat, so they took full advantage until all of the Sea Cows were gone. The bone is still around, but it's rare and expensive. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a few pieces.
Hope you enjoy it!
Sarge

#72 ·
"Curmudgeon", I like that word. :biglaugh: Thanks for reopening the thread. :rock:
As a celebration, here's a wood that has recently make it's way into the shop - Asian Walnut. Beautiful in it's curly form (it can get wild as you see below) and it's burl form, it's a hard and dense and BEEEEAUTIFUL wood. If ya'll get the chance to work with it, take it! Good stuff!
Enjoy the pics!
Sarge

#74 ·
VCD Rubber Bobtails

I have been experimenting with texturing a rubber grip. "Cratering" works well. My "rice kernal" and "pin prick" texture have not faired as well on the rubber.
Fortunately, the rubber will take a bobtail cut as displayed in black below.

As I have stated before, I am a craftsman on my best day, you wood guys are true artists!!!

#200 ·
I love snake wood it feels so nice from its natural oils that it does not need finish but just polishing. I have only tried to turn pens from it but I can't keep it fro cracking days/weeks later. I would think the thick wood used in grips would not have as many issues as pens that are so thin.

#80 ·
Sarge, what can i say ? You are truely the "Master":rock::rock:
What i wouldnt give to be able to sneek around in your wood bin:biglaugh::biglaugh:
One of these days my quality will reach your level, oh give me say a year or two....hahaha.....Keep up the amazing work my friend.....The Rock