1911Forum banner

The official gripmakers showcase thread

877K views 3K replies 532 participants last post by  1911adix 
#1 · (Edited)
Rules are now gone since some posters tended to ignore them anyway.

Go for it.. :)

#30 ·
Here's a set of CBOB grips done in what is billed as the "Worlds rarest wood" - Snakewood. Australia and a few other areas have their own Snakewood, but it's not the original. This tree (actually more of a tall shrub) grows only in Surinam, and harvesting is strictly controlled.This wood is sold by the ounce in high figure pieces as shown here. Very cool, but very pricey, Snakewood is definitely unique!
Hope you enjoy the pics,
Sarge

#31 ·
Soft vcds

Sarge, you have an excellent eye. All of the pictures depict "hard" polymer grips except the PINK. They are of a softer, more rubber like texture.

In testing and match shooting, I noticed no practical difference in their "purchase"or "grip" on the hand relative to my other offerings.

Clearly, they (the rubber) will texture well, The next step is to determine if they will take an ambi cut and can be "bobtailed". I will testing on a brown set to answer the ambi/bobtail questions.

david of vcdgrips.com

#308 ·
These grips are beautiful. I took a look on your website and couldn't find anything other than what you had sold. Can you make these for a Kimber full size? I have the Pro Carry HD II stainless.

#40 ·
More English walnut PC-style with a bevel bottom finished with 8 coats of tung oil.

Amboyna burl with the traditional cutout for the MSH pin and bevel bottom finished with 8 coats of tung oil. I originally wanted to use a high gloss urethane but the scales are from the sapwood so they didn't want to to take any of the urethane. I had to strip it off and use the tung oil. Not my preferred finish on this type of wood, but it's still nice.

#48 ·
Most things aren't really as hard as they appear. It's just a lot of trial and error and finding out what works best. There was a time when most of the stuff I made went into the wood stove. You just have to learn from your mistakes on the next one. I still goof every once in a while. The more times you do something, the more proficient you become.

#54 ·
Here's the newest set of fiddleback maple grips. This set is pretty much identical to a factory set. It has the msh pin cut-out and a bevel bottom. These grips really look good on a blued frame. The customer who bought the last set sent me pictures of the grips on his blued frame and it really brings out the contrast between the two. If I had a blued 1911, I'd make a set for myself.

#56 ·
Here is a special wood that I thought you guys would enjoy seeing. It's mineral stained (natural) spalted maple burl. I was pleasantly surprised when I cut into this block and saw the beauty inside. The "greyer" areas shown were quite punky, so it was a given to have the blanks professionally stabilized. It's almost all gone now, but I wanted you to see the beauty and be able to enjoy it with me.
Sarge