1911Forum banner

The official gripmakers showcase thread

877K views 3K replies 532 participants last post by  1911adix 
#1 · (Edited)
Rules are now gone since some posters tended to ignore them anyway.

Go for it.. :)

#3 ·
Well, somebody has to get the thread rolling, so here we go.......
This set was done in streaked water buffalo horn placed over 1/16" of paper micarta. I added the micarta for two reasons.
1) To add an extra little bit of rigidity and stability to the horn
2) The only horn blanks I could find in the US were too narrow to fit the frame the way I like it, and this was a good way to add some width for a good fit
The horn makes for a beautiful set of grips in the end. I hope you enjoy seeing them.
Now that the "seal is broken" on this thread, let's see work from others. I know you're out there, so come on in and share the beauty!
Sarge

#2,175 ·
You do beautiful work Sarge. I checked out your store, very nice.

#8 ·
Come on! There has to be makers out there wanting to post their stuff! Let's see em. I never get enough of the eye candy.
Here's a set done for a Railroad Police officer. Ivory Paper Micarta with medallions inset and covered with resin for a smooth surface. Satin finish.
Sarge

#1,211 ·
Sarge did these for me a couple years ago and they've now aged to a beautiful golden patina. They are now on my new Remington, 1911 R1 and look great. Unfortunately, my digital camera died or I'd post a new photo of the grips. Thanks Sarge for sharing the picture.

#13 ·
It's about enjoying the fabrication process and seeing the beauty in the woods that we use. It's a great hobby is it not? Really keeps me on an even keel.
There's not too much better than finding that block of wood that doesn't look like much on the outside, but you see indicators of beauty, and then cutting into it to see that you were right and soaking up all that natural uniqueness. It's great!
Sarge

#2,754 ·
It's about enjoying the fabrication process and seeing the beauty in the woods that we use. It's a great hobby is it not? Really keeps me on an even keel.
There's not too much better than finding that block of wood that doesn't look like much on the outside, but you see indicators of beauty, and then cutting into it to see that you were right and soaking up all that natural uniqueness. It's great!
Sarge
It is really a joy to make something beautiful out of something quite plain. Great work! Wish I had the patience

#14 ·
Here's a set just finished for a customer who will put them on the pistol that he will hand down to his son when the time comes. To have a part in such a legacy is a true honor for me. I hope in the future they will help the son to remember his Dad and his service to out country.
Madrone Burl with inset medallions.
Sarge

#1,219 ·
beautiful

couldn't agree more. beautiful indeed. love those colors and haven't ever seen any like them. VERY unique

#69 · (Edited)
Here are some of my grips:

Red Mallee Burl

Teak Burl
Magna, those Teak Burl, and Red Mallee Burl grips are beautiful. I work with wood myself, a lot of turning, and can really appreciate good use of beautiful burls. Have you ever worked with Camphor burl, or Chittam burl? Both are beautifully tight grained burls, and a little different; especially the Camphor, it's probably the most figured burl wood I have ever seen, look it up if you are unfamiliar with it.

Hats off to all the craftsmen in this thread, you all do great work; keep 'em coming.