1911Forum banner

Grip Making How-To....Pics

257K views 246 replies 161 participants last post by  John Blazy 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright I finally got around to taking pictures to write up a how-to.

Materials:
Denim, canvas, or any other kinda of cloth material
Scissors
Ruler
Measuring Cup
Old vegetable can
Stir Stick
Fiberglass Resin (I use Elmer's)
Two Flat boards about a foot in length
Saran Wrap
Gloves
Sand Paper (I use 100, 220, 320, and sometimes 600)
Polyurethane Finish
Cheap paint brush

Equipment:
Face mask
Prick punch
Three C-Clamps
Drill Press
Bits (15/64ths and 9/32nds)
Saw (I just use a chop saw, although a band saw would probably be the safest)
Belt Sander (could be done all by hand, but that would take a while)
Sanding Blocks
3/16ths Chainsaw file
Dremel Tool (not necessary, but again can speed things up)

First you need to select your materials. For this particular set I am using denim and yellow canvas. You will then cut the fabric into strips at least two inches wide and 10 inches long. Longer is always better, you can't add length after is finished.

At this point you also need to get whatever container you're going to use to mix the resin in. I have found that about a 1/2 of a cup is just about the right amount for making a set of grips. Measure a half a cup of water in a measuring cup and then pour it into your container. Then get a sharpie and mark a line where the water comes up to.

This picture kind of shows the line I have drawn in my can.

Once you have all of the strips cut, put them in the order that you want them. I alternated one for one for this set. Then make sure you have all of your materials assembled and at hand before you start anything with the fiberglass. This is very important because once you put the hardener in the resin you have a limited amount of time before it starts to set up.

The following picture shows all that you will need at this step. When you select the boards to use try and use at least one of them that is very flat and straight, the best way to ensure it is flat would be by running them through a jointer first. While this step is not necessary it does save a lot of time sanding the flat side that is the underside of the grip. The flatter the board the less sanding you must do. Once you have your boards ready lay a piece of saran wrap over one board where you will be applying the resin, make sure there is enough to completely wrap up your blanks when your finished.

The next step is to pour the resin and mix it with the hardener. Put your disposable gloves on now. A tip here, if you buy the resin in the quart size it is a bit more expensive that a full gallon, but a whole lot easier to pour. If you only plan or making a few grips a quart will be more than enough. After you pour the resin in make sure it is close to the line, and then double check to make sure you have all the supplies you need at this point (resin won't start to set up until the hardener is put in).

The next step is to add hardener. The resin I use calls for 14 drops of resin per ounce. A 1/2 cup is four ounces so I count out 56 drops of hardener and then mix it all in. Any sort of stir stick will work, I just use old strip of wood that is fairly sturdy and has a flat side on it.

Then wipe on a layer of resin straight to the saran wrap on top of the board. I tried pouring it the first time, but its too hard to control how much comes out, so I just use to stick to dip it out of the can. Then use your gloved fingers to spread it out.

Then start laying out your layers, again move quickly so it doesn't set up before you finish. You need resin in between all the layers. Don't be too shy with the resin, and make sure you spread it to cover the entire strip.

Once you have all of your strips down put another coat on the top of the last strip. I believe I used 15 layers for this set, denim is fairly thick so if you use something thinner it will need more strips. You then wrap the whole blank in saran, that way it won't stick to your boards. Also make sure the part of your grip that will be the underside is on the flattest board. You then sandwich the blank between your two boards and clamp in down with you C-clamps. Try and make sure that the pressure is even the entire way around so that you don't end up with a side that is thinner than another. Also don't clamp it too tight, you don't want to squeeze of the resin out. You're looking for the blank to be at least 1/4 inch here. Also be prepared for for resin to "ooze" out. I then let it set over night before I start working with it, although the directions say if can be sanded after two hours, the typical application of the resin isn't used this thick so I allow a little longer drying time.

Now its time to start turning the blanks into grips. Once the resin has set up, here is what you should be left with:

See less See more
#141 ·
has anyone used any BDU's for the material? I have a MC operator, and was thinking that the tigerstripe vietnam era BDU material could look really cool as grips on it. Any thoughts????
I hadn't thought about that but I bet it would look awesome. And I just threw away a few old sets of BDUs this weekend. . .I might have to see if I can find another old set and get me some resin. . .hmmm, rainy day weekend project coming up, I think!!

#139 ·
Couple questions please:

What are most of the guys who are making grips use to cut the wood with ? I tried a hacksaw & then i had to really use a sander to take all my nicks out.

I understand the proper drill bits are called Brad Points. Whats the particular size please.

Lastly is there an "original thickness" recommended to the wood blanks before you start ?

Thanks for your courtesy & advise.

Carl

#142 ·
I got my resin, and Im going to use and old pair of khakis that my fatness ripped up. (A sign I need to hit the treadmill:biglaugh:) I hope it will give a cool desert feel to them.

I was thinking about paper once but not sure what kind to use. Anyone have an idea?

#145 ·
Ok guys this is awesome! Just decided tonight to do some grips since i have nothing better to do this summer since i cant shoot or ride my db ( fractured my right elbow and broke my left humeris bone in 2 spots) i have some mobility and use of my arms and cant be idle. I would like to thank all of you for this thread and i will be heading out tomorrow to get some supplies:rock: i cant wait!

#150 ·
Ok it might be a stupid question but are you mixing water in the resin and hardner? Also if you are is that to extend work time. You where not kidding when you said work fast I used 3m resin and holy cow I ruined one blank and decided to reduce my hardner resin mix and barely got one blank done in time.

Might make a set of thin grips does anyone know the diamiter of thhe thin bushings and screws so I can figure out how thin to go? Thanks guys for keeping me busy!

#156 ·
So I just bought some bloodwood and will be attempting to build some grips for my Para P13. It is nowhere near as easy as you single stackers have it so I might have a few mess ups. I already have all the wood working gear as I build Hurleys as a side business. I will post pics as I have them. Keep up the good work guys these look amazing.

#159 ·
I fumbled across this thread and this it's brilliant! I love DIY projects like this, and think this would be a fun Fall project to try. So I stopped by my local fabric store and stocked up on fabrics with interesting colors. I just hope, now, that I have the skill and patience to complete it. :dope:

Anyway, is there any advice from you guys who have made their own grips that you'd like to share? The instructional post is phenomenal, but I know there are always "quirks" and "tips" that can only be found by trial, error, and experience. Anything to look out for (Besides a hyper-fast curing resin)?

Any tips are appreciated! I hope that if I can become proficient enough, I'll make many pairs of grips. If not, I'll have 100 yards of fabric and nothing to do with it! :biglaugh:

#162 ·
My first try at making grips!!

OK, I really appreciated the information on making grips and had to try!!
I enjoyed the process and sure learned a lot. I made these for my Colt Defender as part of "make-over" that I'll post on antoher thread. I will forever have a world of respect for custom grip makers. It's not easy the first time around. For me, the hardest part was getting the holes lined up. To be honest, I messed up the first set!!
The other thing I learned was that if you use thin material you better add a few extra layers. I hope the pics are OK. Thank you for the great instructions!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.