1911Forum banner

Larry Davidson's Monkeygrips Rock! ***PICS***

358K views 835 replies 294 participants last post by  bad2006z71 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings... I just wanted to share a recent experience regarding my purchase of a set of Larry Davidson's Monkeygrips. I can't say enough good things about this gentleman; great customer service, product, etc, etc. I had been unsuccessfully searching for a carry grip that is not too thick and not too thin. After trying various grips from several manufacturers, both standard thickness and slim styles, I still wanted something in between. After an e-mail or two with Larry Davidson, he informed me he offered an N'Between'R sized grip which ran about .200-.220" in thickness. Further, he could customize the grips for various textures. For example, the 4x4's that I was interested in could be in a smooth, semi-smooth, or not so smooth texture. Or, he could have 'smoothed out' the horned lizards... With all the different grip styles Larry offers the possibilities are endless! Larry's willingness to customize grips is simply not something I've experienced with other makers.

So, I decided on the perfect grip, ordered Wednesday and they were at my door Friday. Just unbelievable. He also followed up with some e-mails on how they fit. I ended up shaving about 1 millemeter off the stock bushings to cinch them down... but now they're just perfect!

Long story short, Larry is an AWESOME guy to deal with and I just wanted to give him a 'shout out'.

http://davidsonknives.com/grips/grips.htm

See less See more
#75 · (Edited)
yes, standard depth checkering. stockers. they are a perfect grip. also remember that most of your gripping power comes from the front and back strap..so checkering is critical there. the cbob I pictured above comes with a smooth msh from EB...I ordered up and hand fit a checkered bob housing and its night and day difference.

#74 ·
Thanks TwinCarry, that's perfect.

I'm looking at tactical in the Alumagrips so going with aggressive checkering depth should have an extra benefit to carry comfort.

With my "grip" history, I may end up with both! :biglaugh:

#76 ·
Here it is!

Just posted somthin bout this in the Kimber area.

Larry I really like the looks of your grips. Got anything in blue micarta? Wantin to get some grips for the Kimber Pro Carry II thats commin soon.

#77 ·
#89 ·
My son just ordered me a set of Horned Lizards Black/Gray for my new Colt Commander. I learned in this thread that Volta Machining on Ebay is Larry Davidson's son Matt. I have looked at several synthetic grips and have decided I love the looks of the Horned Lizards. Now the waiting!!! :)

#91 · (Edited)
Finally got some pics of mine

well after way too long of a delay i finally got some pics of my grips. I ordered a pair of the starburst grips which are great but I don't really like them against my bare love handles so I ordered a pair of fandangos and couldn't be happier. And as for Larry, he may be the best person I've ever dealt with. I ordered my grips on Fri and had them on Mon. How could you ask for more than that? And they weren't pre-made grips, I ordered them to my specs. Larry D rocks big time in my book. Keep on rockin that strat Larry!!!

(i really hope i did this right :)

P.S. sorry it took me so long to put them up Larry. I finally got it figured out and even though my pics suck I'm gonna put them up all over various boards like I said I would. Everyone else should think about it too if they're members of different boards since he doesn't have any advertising and is one of the nicest people you'll ever work with. He will bend over backwards to make you a pair of grips and get them in your hands in mere days. Thanks again Larry!!!

Attachments

#93 ·
Springer 9mm EMP - Horned Lizard scales

I've ordered a set of the Horned Lizard grip panels for my 9mm EMP. Over the years (54-years) I've delt with a lot of gun people and most of them have been really nice and there have been a few stinkers. Larry Davidson is in the 'really nice' category. Every email has been answered promptly, and our phone discussion a real pleasure. I received email notification that my order would be arriving shortly via USPS.

It's hard to find fault with that kind of customer service and follow through.

Thanks Larry.

Scooter

#96 ·
I've ordered a set of the Horned Lizard grip panels for my 9mm EMP. Over the years (54-years) I've delt with a lot of gun people and most of them have been really nice and there have been a few stinkers. Larry Davidson is in the 'really nice' category. Every email has been answered promptly, and our phone discussion a real pleasure. I received email notification that my order would be arriving shortly via USPS.

It's hard to find fault with that kind of customer service and follow through.

Thanks Larry.

Scooter
Did you get your grips yet? If so post a pic or 2.

#99 ·
Wanted to add mine to the list-- just got 'em

These are going on my New Agent as soon as it gets back from Meloniting at Coal Creek Armory!

-straight bottoms with slight radius
-half-hog with a carry smoothing job
-plungers and msh pin covered
-thin grips -similar to factory

Tbird

#103 ·
hey guys..anyone have an idea of whether i should grab some davidson g-10 (horned lizards probably) or mil-tac g-10s with a diagonal pattern? i love the davidsons but the mil-tacs seem easier to order and i know larry had a part in designing those or something along those lines. anyways, im looking for something with the horned lizard look, and if the diagonal mil-tacs are it, maybe theyre the ones. if not, ill have to get in touch with larry i guess! also, my 1911 has an ambi safety, does mil-tac have an option for that?

#107 ·
+2 I just ordered my second set of Horned Lizard's a couple of days ago for my EB Special Forces and Larry makes it extremely hassle free and a pleasure to do business with him. His grips are second to none, I have a set on my Kobra Carry and absolutely love them! Thanks Larry!

#110 ·
+, err...whatever! Larry gets my vote for retailer Customer Service Award of the 2008. I got a set of Horned Lizards for my Springer 9mm EMP and just love them! The Grips arrived with no hitch and fit like a glove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.