1911Forum banner

Larry Davidson's Monkeygrips Rock! ***PICS***

358K views 835 replies 294 participants last post by  bad2006z71 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings... I just wanted to share a recent experience regarding my purchase of a set of Larry Davidson's Monkeygrips. I can't say enough good things about this gentleman; great customer service, product, etc, etc. I had been unsuccessfully searching for a carry grip that is not too thick and not too thin. After trying various grips from several manufacturers, both standard thickness and slim styles, I still wanted something in between. After an e-mail or two with Larry Davidson, he informed me he offered an N'Between'R sized grip which ran about .200-.220" in thickness. Further, he could customize the grips for various textures. For example, the 4x4's that I was interested in could be in a smooth, semi-smooth, or not so smooth texture. Or, he could have 'smoothed out' the horned lizards... With all the different grip styles Larry offers the possibilities are endless! Larry's willingness to customize grips is simply not something I've experienced with other makers.

So, I decided on the perfect grip, ordered Wednesday and they were at my door Friday. Just unbelievable. He also followed up with some e-mails on how they fit. I ended up shaving about 1 millemeter off the stock bushings to cinch them down... but now they're just perfect!

Long story short, Larry is an AWESOME guy to deal with and I just wanted to give him a 'shout out'.

http://davidsonknives.com/grips/grips.htm

See less See more
#37 ·
Back on track.

Are the 4x4's pretty grippy or abrasive? What I'm fishing for is whether they'd be good for carry where they may at times be directly up against skin if your not wearing an undershirt. But I wonder about sweat affecting them or them irritating skin etc.

I'll have a new Kimber Combat Carry next week that I'm planning on making my primary carry and like the 4x4's.

#39 ·
They are perfect, fine texture over all on the grip itself for good holding, the 4 slats give for a awsome grip. The feel good and solid on the gun and in hand. Great for you also that you found the number. :)

#45 ·
Honestly Larry how do you make these grips so darn good?

Do you guys invest in some crazy expensive CNC machines to turn them out this way?

What ever you do its the best work I have seen for non wood grips and I love my Horned Lizards. I am not a fan of wood grips so your were a perfect pick for me and I love them.

#46 ·
Larry speant 30 mins talking to me about his grips/knives and yeah he pretty much has an art for using a CNC machine. Larry is awsome. I hope the tradition of pistol smithing and craftsmenship carrys on through the years so when I get 50 or 60 I can still find quality custom parts for my 1911's.. I see allot of the Custom/smiths/craftsmen for 191's are older guys....

#51 ·
Hunting Grips?

Had this piece of Orange G10 laying around...I don't know if I hate em or love em...Pumkins?? Guess if you had two pistols and one was a trainer they'd sure be easy to identify...maybe I'll love em more tomorrow...it's been a long day in the shop today...thanks for letting me play.

#55 ·
Horned Lizard - Quite Possibly the Best Ever!

My Bob Rodgers-perfected Les Baer SRP wears a set of Lazza's grips, and they're the best I've ever found (in addition to being something of a holster 'ho, I've also been known to play around with a lot of different grips, too).

One of these days (months, years - doesn't matter), a Rodgers custom Colt stainless Series 70 is going to appear on these pages fresh from creation in Mountain Home, Arkansas, and it will have two sets of grips: some gorgeous cocobolo courtesy of Bob Selva at Fusion, and a set of Davidson black and gray Horned Lizards, softened ever-so-slightly for daily concealed carry under business clothes (suit coats, sport coats). The cocobolo grips are like a tuxedo - very dressy, brought out only for special occasions. The Lizards are more like jeans or 5.11 pants - much greater utility than smooth wood. Come to think of it, I find them very nice to look at in their own right!

The fact that Larry Davidson is one of the nicest men I've ever done business with is a great bonus!

#56 ·
My Bob Rodgers-perfected Les Baer SRP wears a set of Lazza's grips, and they're the best I've ever found (in addition to being something of a holster 'ho, I've also been known to play around with a lot of different grips, too).

One of these days (months, years - doesn't matter), a Rodgers custom Colt stainless Series 70 is going to appear on these pages fresh from creation in Mountain Home, Arkansas, and it will have two sets of grips: some gorgeous cocobolo courtesy of Bob Selva at Fusion, and a set of Davidson black and gray Horned Lizards, softened ever-so-slightly for daily concealed carry under business clothes (suit coats, sport coats). The cocobolo grips are like a tuxedo - very dressy, brought out only for special occasions. The Lizards are more like jeans or 5.11 pants - much greater utility than smooth wood. Come to think of it, I find them very nice to look at in their own right!

The fact that Larry Davidson is one of the nicest men I've ever done business with is a great bonus!

Beautiful work of art...

#57 ·
Just got my new grips

Larry Davidson's an awesome guy to work with and does excellent work. I got my grips in today, slapped 'em on the Operator, and was amazed both at the workmanship as well as the fit and feel of the grips. I love 'em.

#58 ·
YEP!!! Larry Davidson's beautiful grips plus great customer service plus super fast turnaround times - Well, that's pretty hard to beat!

Larry, if you're reading this, be expecting another call from me. Just got the Kimber SIS and the grips are nice but too thick so I need to make that phone call soon!

#59 ·
Looking to get some more!

I've got a set of Black-Grey Horned Lizard on the way for the DW CBOB. If I like them, and I suspect I really will, I've got three other 1911s that need shoes!

I'm tellin' ya, when you're ready to remove CocoBola wood grips to make room for Larry's stuff, that's a testament!

Can't wait to trick out my CBOB.

#64 ·
I've got a set of Black-Grey Horned Lizard on the way for the DW CBOB. If I like them, and I suspect I really will, I've got three other 1911s that need shoes!

I'm tellin' ya, when you're ready to remove CocoBola wood grips to make room for Larry's stuff, that's a testament!

Can't wait to trick out my CBOB.

dont forget to get a mag that doesn't have bumper pads so you can utilize the full effects of a bobtail....bumper pads negate the whole reason for a bobtail.

#69 ·
Like to add to the appreciation of Larry and his products.

He made two sets of grips for my two 1911's. His patterns aid shooting and the material is more durable than wood.

I'm tempted to get one of his FL1 knives with handles that match those grips.

#70 ·
For those of you that have the 4x4's, I'm curious about something. Even better if you also have experience with Alumagrips.

I'm looking to replace the grips on my new-to-me Kimber Combat Carry as it's now my primary carry. What I need is a grip, that grips, but doesn't grip my side/back when I carrying "casual" without an undershirt. The stock checkered rubber grips can grab pretty good making it necessary to readjust, not to mention it's uncomfortable when the rubber grabs you.

I'm considering tactical Alumagrips or the 4x4's. I'm sure the Alumagrips will feel great and not grab.

How do the 4x4's carry against skin and what texture?

#71 ·
the tactical alumagrips are 100% perfect for the scenerio you just laid out...grippy on the hand (just perfect) but in no way grabs your cover garments or pinches your sides. I have a feeling the micarta/g10 will naturally be more grippy on those things due to its material properties.

I love the half checkered alumagrips for said reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.