1911Forum banner

Larry Davidson's Monkeygrips Rock! ***PICS***

358K views 835 replies 294 participants last post by  bad2006z71 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings... I just wanted to share a recent experience regarding my purchase of a set of Larry Davidson's Monkeygrips. I can't say enough good things about this gentleman; great customer service, product, etc, etc. I had been unsuccessfully searching for a carry grip that is not too thick and not too thin. After trying various grips from several manufacturers, both standard thickness and slim styles, I still wanted something in between. After an e-mail or two with Larry Davidson, he informed me he offered an N'Between'R sized grip which ran about .200-.220" in thickness. Further, he could customize the grips for various textures. For example, the 4x4's that I was interested in could be in a smooth, semi-smooth, or not so smooth texture. Or, he could have 'smoothed out' the horned lizards... With all the different grip styles Larry offers the possibilities are endless! Larry's willingness to customize grips is simply not something I've experienced with other makers.

So, I decided on the perfect grip, ordered Wednesday and they were at my door Friday. Just unbelievable. He also followed up with some e-mails on how they fit. I ended up shaving about 1 millemeter off the stock bushings to cinch them down... but now they're just perfect!

Long story short, Larry is an AWESOME guy to deal with and I just wanted to give him a 'shout out'.

http://davidsonknives.com/grips/grips.htm

See less See more
#3 ·
Best guy I have dealt with and his product is incredible. I have some Carbon Creation grips that I thought were flawless but my horned lizards are much cleaner and perfect.

If you dont have a set from him yet you should get some. I am not all into the wood grips since I dont see how a smooth grip will offer much in terms of grip so I was looking for a unique cool looking grip. The horned lizards are sweet looking but now I want some more and have to decide on what to get next.

#8 ·
Where would that be?

PS I read a lot about Hilton Yam being the one to seek when considering what is best for combat purposes etc. His site says that he only uses gripy grips since smooth ones make no sense even for a carry gun.

I am not able to CCW just yet but that sure makes sense to me and I want a nice hold on my gun. The Carbon Creations are cool looking but the double diamond is a very slick resin and its slippery to hold on to. Not bad for a range gun to show it off but the Horned Lizards are much better.

#10 ·
I have several sets from Larry. The BEST looking grips on the market IMO.
I recently had him make me 3 sets in SLIM to replace all the traditional one's I had.

Larry is amazing. Easy to work with, lightening fast delivery. The quality is second to none!!:rock::rock::rock:

BTW, those shredders look nice too!

#11 ·
Dang I could have got them on ebay for a bit cheaper, lol.

Thanks for that link, I will continue to check them out on ebay. Seems like he has more choices on ebay as well which is nice. I got them squared bottom and no MSH notch. I also didnt get that thumb cut out for the mag release because I have never needed it and dont care for the look.

PS those shredders look nasty but I may try something like the worm next time.

#13 ·
I will have to work out all those kinks when I get my permit. As far as grip I would much prefer them but I can see your point about them snagging clothing. I plan to wear an under shirt and a untucked dress shirt because that is how I dress now. I cant imagine it would give me any trouble but I will have to work out those bugs later.

#16 ·
Volta Machining is my son Matt's company actually..we have two shops. Matt runs the production operations and we'll be turning the business over to Matt this year. My shop is next door where I keep my custom knife setup and work station. I work on new designs, programing, training, and some custom knife work when I can. I also do some design and CAD/CAM work for designers.
Matt can hook you up or you can contact me directly...hope that helps...larryd

#197 · (Edited)
These are my Bar None grip pattern/texture on my lil Lightning.
I was sold at the first sight of these on page one!
Even though my Ruger MKII is just a plain black gun these will for sure dress it up.
Shooting inside it gets a little hot at times, so my hands will love them plus the added looks wow
I also had to get some for 1911
Larry D. sure is easy to deal with.
I have the feeling this old thread will live on for quite awhile:biglaugh:

#26 ·
Sometimes emails get caught in my SPAM filters and I don't get em...I'm sorry that I never received your email...I personally answer every email I receive answer every question...if you can't reach me via email dial this number 830-214-5144.
What's your ip and email address I'll check my SPAM filters and make sure that never happens to you again....thanks...larryd
There grips look AWSOME but, I dont have much to say good about Monkey Grips... I emailed there company 3 times with no reply. I was trying to contact them about there black 4x4 grips for my TRP. I think it is such bad buisness when you dont reply to a hopefull customer. Even if you are swamped or just understaff you should still make an attempt to contact the individsual back. Same goes for Choate machine. Nerving when you are waiting to spend some money and CANT because you dont get a reply:) Alumagrips got my business.. they took care of me and my needs as well as taking care of an Active Duty Service Member price wise.

#29 ·
I emailed twice if I had to but Larry always got back to me. I really wanted the product and so if he didnt get me the first time due to spam filters I tried again and all went well.

Glad I bought from him because my grips are perfection. They are even cut better then my Carbon Creations grips which I didnt think was possible. I am OCD and can find a flaw in anything and honestly there is nothing I can "knit-pick" on these grips. I feel let down.:(

#32 ·
I won't defend Larry here but I can go by my own experience. Larry has been great in replying or answering questions about his grips. I was very particular in what I wanted and he came through everytime. Keep up the good work.:rock: Hey Larry, I have another design in mind, hopefully you can make it come to life soon. I'll be in touch.

Best regards,
Joseph

G
#33 ·
My customer experience with Larry was excellent. He encountered email problems a couple of weeks ago (spam filter), but he promptly called me back and spent 15 minutes on the phone with me and emailed me photos of what we discussed. He customized a pair of Horned Lizard grips to fit my Series 1 Kimber Eclipse with the old style ambidextrous grip. Monkey Grips are the finest grips I have owned, of many. The photos do not do them justice. I will buy more. :)

#34 · (Edited)
Grips Taken Care Of

Well Larry read over my statement and stated that it apparently was a SPAM filter on his e-mail. He PMed me and then we spoke over the phone and as you all have stated he took care of me. I learned allot from him in the 20 mins we talked and now will soon be a happy owner of a set of 4x4 in black:) Larry is very proffesional and like I knew before we talked offered a great product! I just couldnt get in touch initially to get my hands on a set of his grips:) Well I am sure to be a happy customer and after talking to him today look forward to doing buisness with him again soon!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.