1911Forum banner

Suppliers of ivory 1911 stocks or grips

162K views 96 replies 71 participants last post by  DE.Frank 
#1 · (Edited)
Nutmeg Sports www.nutmegsports.com
Boone Trading Co. www.boonetrading.com
Elen Hunting & Importing Inc. www.elenhunting.com

If you know of others offering real elephant and/or mammoth ivory stocks or grips, feel free to add the name of the company and a link to their web page.

Don't use this thread to ask questions about grip designs and where to find them. The thread is to be used to list makers of ivory grips. Thank you.

#71 ·
Ditto for a set of ivories. And he put in Wilson Combat medallions and cut them as "slim grips" (.2"). And I had them in a week - that was a freak accident of timing.

Sarge (Ryan) also did a nice set of ivories for me, delivered exactly in the time frame promised when I ordered.

#77 · (Edited)
He's not a maker of grips but he always has some "purdy" ones...

Terry Peters - http://www.pt-partners.com/index.html
Working24-7 - on GunBroker

He's got a couple pairs of bark ivory ones listed on GB right now that are to die for. :cool:

While I haven't bought any stocks from him I have bought 3 or 4 high end custom 45's - Terry is a stand up guy!

Reading thru the list - here's someone in Texas - www.lonestarcustomgrips.com

#82 ·
I was under the impression that real ivory anything is off limits here in the US. At least new import stuff. Mammoth and other fossil ivory I had heard is OK, but has to have paperwork confirming it's source. I think mammoth ivory would be massive cool for grips, knife handles etc. Talk about character.

#86 · (Edited)
African Elephant Ivory became regulated Years ago and was tightened with interstate commerce confusion in more recent years. There are some exceptions which have to do with small amounts, volume, weight, etc. That information has to do with the Feds. A handful of states passed their own laws. CT made ALL ivory sales a violation which put Nutmeg out of the ivory business completely. WA put David Boone out completely. So what we have now is some (mostly gun friendly) states left to do business as usual as long as you don't get out of line in the coloring book. In Texas I could sell my grips my side of the line. Some states included all ivory, some African, some with age, documentation and other confusing wording. Some added bone because they admitted their authorities weren't smart enough to tell the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if some included fake ivory.
If you have any grasp on the many differences in gun, knife or consumer laws.....well add ivory to the list. I quit keeping up with the variations but the list of states is relatively small. My memory says CA, WA, CT, NY but I'm sure there are a few more by now. The list does or will contain the usual list of kingdoms over regulated, taxed and broke. I'd like to express how I really think of them but it would surely offend someone...."frankly dear, I don't give a damn".

#88 ·
It is my understanding that the previously mentioned regulations banning sales of elephant ivory did in fact pass and one can no longer sell ivory grips across state lines. I am in Virginia and can no longer buy ivory grips from Charles Spresser in Tennessee. He has grips on Gunbroker, which state "Tennessee sales only". This is why you now see lots of ads for mammoth grips. Apparently, someone explained to the politicians that the wooly mammoth is already extinct.

#91 ·
Time passes

I recently was looking to buy a set of aged ivory grips for a cherished and well worn Nighthawk Enforcer II and noted that the art of the ivory has lost a couple of dynamic and skilled artisans...Paul Persinger and Roy Fishpaw....and other old timers I'm sure.....wanted a set from one of them for years...drooled over sold ones.....then what I thought about was
John Wayne's comment on his retirement from post in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon......."Lest we forget....Lest we forget..."yes I'm late....but....Lest We Forget!!!