1911Forum banner

Larry Davidson's Monkeygrips Rock! ***PICS***

358K views 835 replies 294 participants last post by  bad2006z71 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings... I just wanted to share a recent experience regarding my purchase of a set of Larry Davidson's Monkeygrips. I can't say enough good things about this gentleman; great customer service, product, etc, etc. I had been unsuccessfully searching for a carry grip that is not too thick and not too thin. After trying various grips from several manufacturers, both standard thickness and slim styles, I still wanted something in between. After an e-mail or two with Larry Davidson, he informed me he offered an N'Between'R sized grip which ran about .200-.220" in thickness. Further, he could customize the grips for various textures. For example, the 4x4's that I was interested in could be in a smooth, semi-smooth, or not so smooth texture. Or, he could have 'smoothed out' the horned lizards... With all the different grip styles Larry offers the possibilities are endless! Larry's willingness to customize grips is simply not something I've experienced with other makers.

So, I decided on the perfect grip, ordered Wednesday and they were at my door Friday. Just unbelievable. He also followed up with some e-mails on how they fit. I ended up shaving about 1 millemeter off the stock bushings to cinch them down... but now they're just perfect!

Long story short, Larry is an AWESOME guy to deal with and I just wanted to give him a 'shout out'.

http://davidsonknives.com/grips/grips.htm

See less See more
#657 ·
It ain't so...from an email

Howdy Jim...I am in the process of moving into a new shop building and I'm not taking new orders at this time. I've got a lot of equipment to
take down so it may be several weeks before I'm back up and running. If you'd like I'll keep your email in my notification folder and give you a shout when I have completed the move and shop setup at the new location. I apologize for the inconvenience and I appreciate your interest and inquiry.

Thanks and all the best...larryd

Tue 6/17/2014 8:59 AM

#658 ·
Howdy Jim...I am in the process of moving into a new shop building and I'm not taking new orders at this time. I've got a lot of equipment to
take down so it may be several weeks before I'm back up and running. If you'd like I'll keep your email in my notification folder and give you a shout when I have completed the move and shop setup at the new location. I apologize for the inconvenience and I appreciate your interest and inquiry.

Thanks and all the best...larryd

Tue 6/17/2014 8:59 AM
If you look up-thread at Taz's e-mail exchange, as of the 30th he had said he wasn't doing any more, period.

#661 ·
I should say, as a means of description, the idea behind reverse airfoil, when I first asked him to do it, is to take the widest part of the grip and put it at the front and have the grip taper towards the rear, as illustrated above.

I asked him for this after playing with his airfoil design.

The reason I asked for this is because, in my hand, with traditional oval shapes, the gun doesn't always line up with my arm correctly, requiring me to adjust my grip.

With the reverse airfoil shape, the gun's alignment is straight along my arm, and the wedge shape of the grip spreads more of the recoil into the hand in a much more straight fashion, making grip easier (the taper also allows the grip texture to dig into the hand which naturally forms a wedge shape when holding an elongated object like the grip of a 1911).

If you'd like, Dave, I've got a couple of pairs of Reverse Airfoil grips laying around I could send you to play with.

#662 ·
Chaos is the patters in the grip texture (Love it, feels very much like a 30 LPI checkering where it is very grippy, but not sharp and abrading on you), Reverse Airfoil is fat at the front, slim at the back. These are the slim version. DK has some pics from the bottom of the grips a few pages back I believe.

Larry had mentioned to me about moving and not doing them for a bit, but his last emails to me makes it seem like he isn't doing them anymore period :(

#666 ·
I exchanged emails with LD yesterday...and it is true. No more grips from him... truly a sad day. He truly innovated and made some very practical and useful grips. The reverse airfoil design is to me, far and away the best grip profile to be had. At least in my hand.

Hopefully, someone else now will step up to the plate and carry on Larry D's work.

#713 · (Edited)
LW,
I found this post made by you a while back. As a long time admirer of Larry's superb design and creative skills I took your suggestion and decided to attempt to make contact with Larry Davidson. I had never met Larry at that time but have never heard anything but great comments about Larry.
It took only a couple of days until we were talking. We learned that our machining histories matched up almost identically so our communications have gone well.
I am making this post to let you know, as well as the 1911 Forum Members know that Larry and I are collaborating on building Larry Davidson Monkey Grips using Larry's Original Designs to manufacture Larry Davidson Monkey Grips once again.
Over the next several days I will be posting images of Larry's Best known grips such as Chaos, Horned Lizard, Starburst, Reverse Starburst, Half Burst, Expandoz, Grenade grips, the Shredder as well as the XS Shredder, Barbd'Wire, BarNone, Big Chex, Fine Chex, Larry's Punishers, and some new textures as well.
Here is an image of a Colt XSE Bobtail with a set of Ed Brown style Barbd'Wire grips that were made a few weeks ago.

fwiw, The first 500 customers will receive one of these glossy black cards with Larry's signature printed on it.
**A portion of every sale of Larry Davidson grips will go directly to Larry.
Michael

#674 ·
Except VZ doesn't do custom designs, patterns, or shapes. They'll do anything you want, so long as it's within the scope of their product line.

Want a custom shape? Need a grip larger than standard? You're out of luck.

I know, I asked them if they could.

#678 ·
Well crap. I just got a Guncrafter withe the airfoil shredders. Unfortunately they are the ones that are fatter in the back and don't fit my grip/large hands very well. Was hoping to get a set of the reverse airfoil shredders. Looks like I'll be pursuing a set of standard grips from VZ. Missed the boat...

#684 ·
This is sad! I guess I was lucky enough to get a set from Larry earlier this year. Someone else had asked about his grips in a different forum and I linked them to his website but it was taken down. I then sent him an email but haven't heard back but now I know why. Thanks for the grips and thanks for being a great person, Larry!

#686 ·
Some associates and I are looking at getting into the grip business. It's very early days and we're still yet to make a lot of decisions about designs and materials but with the outpouring of love for Larry's grips we'd be foolish not to look at them and ask ourselves what made them great.

#687 ·
What made them great was a few things.
1. Larry was awesome to work with, willing to do custom designs, fit to a Les Baer frame vs other 1911's, etc.
2. Patterns. He had some normal stock patterns or could create pretty much any pattern the customer wanted. He could also do various thicknesses (normal, thick, thin, even thinner, in between, Airfoil (thin in front and fat in the back) or reverse Airfoil (thick in front, thin in the back), etc. Pretty much whatever you wanted, he could do.
3. Excellent fit and finish, no scratches on the gun when you installed the grips, etc.
4. Chaos pattern, my all time favorite!!! It really locks the hand onto the grip, but does so without feeling sharp points all over your hand. It reminded me of 30LPI checkering, it's fine enough that the points aren't painful and really sticks to your hand.

#688 ·
Sorry to hear that Larry will no longer be making his awesome grips. I had him make me a pair of Starburst Cocobolo grips for my Dan Wesson Valor & Larry was a pleasure to deal with..

Does anyone know if there's another grip maker that does the Shredders or was it just Larry?

#691 · (Edited)
Gentlemen, like most of you I have enjoyed Larry's grips for years..you also know you just cant have on set...in my frustration of not having Monkey grips at my beck and call I did a little research and found a company in Idaho..they are a new company (family owned) and GREAT people..Don like all of us is a 1911 enthusiast..He owns a promanant CNC business in Idaho..I have ordered 2 sets from them and very pleased with the designs and the quality of the work..I have talked to them about different designs and textures and they are respetive to the idea..I have recieved several drawings and they are doing exactly what I want,,they have asked for a little time to set thier machines up..I think this company may be a answer for all of us "I JUST CANT HAVE ONE SET" people..the web address is Derwood mfg.com..They work with G10-Aluminum & exotic wood..REMEMBER they are in the process of getting the website up and fully stocked..I am writing this from work, when I get home, I will take some pics of the grips I have already recieved and post them back here..
LARRY FROM ONE TEXAN TO ANOTHER..YOU WILL BE MISSED..I HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT AND YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS..
RWD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.