1911Forum banner

Colt Commander 1911 Short Side questions??

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dakota1911 
#1 · (Edited)
I am trying to locate a Colt Commander Top end for a 70 series Colt Commander silver in color. This has proven very difficult to say the least and I am not picky I simply want to breath life back into this project and get a functioning top end.

My Questions for the forum

Do any of you have input on where to find original Colt used product like a slide? From a Brick and mortar shop, other web sights or forums? This is a product that is no longer being produced so I need to find it used?

Do you see any potential pitfalls to make sure I check prior to buying, like does the barrel and slide fit the ramp, or is staying with the same colors slide and the frame an issue or 70 series vs 80 series. Can I use an 80 series on this?

When searching the web what are some other key words besides "commander" that I can use to search for the 4.25" colt slide and barrel?

What aftermarket manufacturers could be a good solution?

Is there any obvious solution I am missing. I will entertain aftermarket or something more easily available like a standard length slide. I simply want a slide and barrel to send a bullet down just to say the build is complete for sentimental reasons. This gun will be shot once a year at family events to remember my father. If it can stay all colt is optimal but at this time I just want to get it together?

I realize the standard slide is to long and I have been told it is because the dust cover is to short? What Exactly is a dust cover? And can I throw an easily accessible standard slide on? I know on here they talk about a gap and a spring being accessible is their a modification I can make to get this to work?

Any advise will be a great help. My primary focus if locating the parts from there I can get the balance figured out.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Colt Commander slide

Several companies offer after market Commander length slides in various calibers. I am assuming you are looking for a .45 slide, since you failed to mention the caliber needed. You can use a series 80 slide on a Series 70 frame, but you won't be able to use the firing pin block feature.

I like Caspian slides, and you can order them with machined front and rear sight cuts for the type of sights you wish to use. I like to use a dovetail F/O front sight and a Bo-Mar style rear.

There are cheaper and more expensive slides, but I like Caspian slides for gun projects.

Colt made Combat Commanders in .45, 9mm, and .38 super. I built and use a .38 super Commander as my everyday concealed carry gun.

#5 ·
I think American Classic, Armscor/RIA and ATI sell their 4.25 inch slides. Esarco.com has some 4.25 Para Ordnance slides as well but you have to be pretty knowledgeable to know which one will work for you. You ought to stick with the .45 because several modifications are involved in installing a 9mm slide on a pistol built to .45 specs.

#11 ·
Go on Gunbroker and do a search for what you want. It wont take long for what ever you are looking for to surface.
If you don't have experience with guns, you might try to find a slide with the parts to go with it. Or you will end up having to pay someone to fit a lot of parts.

#13 ·
As Mark pointed out , the Commander and Gov't model frames are different and it's more than just the length of the recoil spring dust cover.

I see quite a few slides and complete tops ends on Ebay every day.

#14 ·
Thanks for all of the input I found my slide Nd have got the gun back
Together. Admit turned out better than I could have ever expected. In the process I met some amazing people who went above and wound helping and I have gained a ton of knowledge thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.