1911Forum banner

Kimber FTE - Possible Wilson Combat mag issue

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Gamecockgangsta 
#1 ·
Recently I purchased a new Kimber TLE RL II TFS 9mm to reignite my love for the 1911 platform. While waiting for the paperwork for the accessory that makes her go "pop" in the night, I decided to purchase some additional magazines. After reading countless threads on various forums, I decided to go after the Wilson Combat 10rd magazine. After my first trip to the range this weekend, I have come to doubt my decision.

1st Range trip
-Rounds fired in Kimber mag - No failures
-Rotated through the 3 additional WC mags and 1-2 FTE per mag
-Total 100rds fired

2nd Range trip
-Rounds fired in Kimber mag - No failures
-Rotated through the 3 additional WC mags and 1-2 FTE per mag
-Total 50rds fired

Range ammo
LAXAMMO 9mm reloads with no prior issues in any of my other pistols.

Are there any further steps that I would need to take to determine what is causing this failure?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Mr. Wiggins,

I will assume that you are following all of the Kimber break-in instructions (e.g., ammo, lubrication, recoil spring weight, etc.).

Since you can 'toggle' the issue by switching magazines, I will focus on the Wilson magazines.

Wilson 9mm ETM magazines use strong springs "to ensure proper round position and last round lock back". This means that the magazines need to be 'broken-in' before use. To do this, "load and unload your magazines a few times prior to first use and keep them loaded for a few days".

If you do not 'set' the magazine spring, it can "exert undue pressure on the slide when cycling" (i.e., potentially slow the slide down, and prevent it from moving rearward enough to eject properly).

Source: post #85 at http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=439340&page=4

#5 ·
I had just the opposite experience - my Kimber magazines had many FTF problems and switching to Wilson solved it. That said I think that what has been said about breaking in the magazines and pistol will solve the problem. I have found Wilson magazines to be top notch across several 1911 makers.

#12 ·
Thank you for all of the valuable feedback!!

I have a few follow up points since my last post. I was able to make it to the range for a few minutes after performing the following from suggestions and following the Kimber instructions.

- Loaded/unloaded the magazines several times and left loaded for a couple days prior to visiting the range.
- Cleaned and lubricated the pistol per the Kimber instructions after the 150rd count.
- Cleaned the magazines

The outcome was that the failures were reduced to 2 failures for 8 magazines ran. The Kimber mag still performed flawlessly. Used the same ammo for this visit.

I plan to change factory ammo and to also test the WC mags in another Kimber to validate functionality.

I have included a couple pictures that show the WC mags loaded/unloaded.

Attachments

#14 ·
You need to take the slide off and test the extractor tension. It should hold an empty case firmly (completely perpendicular to the breechface). A loaded cartridge should be angled downward VERY slightly (in 9mm still just about perpendicular to breechface).

I would also load one round, eject the mag, and fire with no magazine at least 5 times. If it fails or ejects erratically in 5 tries, it's the gun causing the failure. If it slings them to 4 or 5 o'clock every time it's the mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.