1911Forum banner

Extra power firing pin spring in Series 80?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jason D 
#1 ·
Any reason not to use an extra power firing pin spring in a Series 80?

#3 ·
Just be sure to use at least a mid-power mainspring and avoid one of those super-lightweight competition hammers.

There is also such a thing as a double-extra power FP spring (it's part of my 1911 manufacturer's normal build) and for this, a fairly stout mainspring is advisable for reliable ignition.

Although seeing no harm, I'm not sure that I see the benefit of adding a stronger FP spring to a Series 80 design, with its existing "safety" design; but perhaps there is a benefit? Would like to know, just for general knowledge, if there is a benefit.

#5 ·
With an S80 gun, it's kind of moot. You already have the firing pin block.

It's that some companies use them to make a S70 type gun drop safe for commie markets like Kali. Springfield is a good example. They are a S70 type gun with a light titanium 9mm/38 firing pin and a super powered firing pin spring. They have had to up their mainspring to 28 pounds to generate enough force to ignite the ammo. Even then, it has lead to some guns that suffer light primer strikes.

The M1911 served for decades before some dink came up with the idea of light weight ignition parts and heavy duty springs. I's imagine you'd be good with a standard spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.