1911Forum banner

Suppliers of ivory 1911 stocks or grips

162K views 96 replies 71 participants last post by  DE.Frank 
#1 · (Edited)
Nutmeg Sports www.nutmegsports.com
Boone Trading Co. www.boonetrading.com
Elen Hunting & Importing Inc. www.elenhunting.com

If you know of others offering real elephant and/or mammoth ivory stocks or grips, feel free to add the name of the company and a link to their web page.

Don't use this thread to ask questions about grip designs and where to find them. The thread is to be used to list makers of ivory grips. Thank you.

#27 ·
I also make exotic grips for 1911's & SAA's. I use all exotic woods and stabilize where possible. I also use Wooly Mammouth ivory and teeth, petrified dinosaur bone, jade, pet wood, and about anything else you can think of. I make each grip by hand so thin/thick/palm swell/mag well types, inletting etc is no problem. For great ivory color in natural material, camel and giraffe bone are great and save money.

#40 ·
I have to give a plug at to Jim at Nutmeg Sports. He helped out with the recent Bob
Rodgers pistol that is shown under gunsmithing section on this forum.

Jim is an old Colt guy and he came through with flying colors after another ivory grip provider scewed the pooch. Jim's accessibility and service during the process was over the top. And as you can see from Rodger's pics his ivory grips are impressive.

If you get the chance, take a look at his website gallery sometime. Its worth it.

#46 ·
Thought I'd bring this thread back to the top. I found Dan Chinnock via some web searches and was fortunate enough to snag a nice set that he posted up earlier today. Www.danchinnock.com He called to confirm my specific needs (confirm which model, Ambi safety, etc.) and we had a terrific conversation. Grips due to arrive on Tuesday! The following pictures are his, hope he doesn't mind.

#47 · (Edited)
Mammoth Ivory Grips

I have spent the last couple of months setting up to make exceptional grips from mammoth tooth. I have a superior method for stabilizing the tooth that adds both strength and beauty. The attention to detail for which I have become known for wood grips is equally applied to my mammoth tooth sets. Until I can prove that these grips will hold up to use on a working gun, they are being sold for exhibition only.

The image is large to show the detail; the closer you look, the better they look.
Contact me via PM or email for more information. 1911grips@challis.com

#56 ·
Ivory News

I just received this from Nutmeg Sports.

IVORY NEWS

There has been a lot of talk over the last few months regarding the proposed ivory legislation that the current Administration is trying to put forth. We have been paying close attention to all information, to make sure that we continue to abide by the current laws. There has now been legislation introduced in both the House & the Senate to stop the U.S Fish and Wildlife from from seriously harming millions of Americans by unnecessarily restricting interstate commerce of legal ivory and products containing legal ivory. These bills are named
H.R. 5052 and S. 2587.

CALL or EMAIL your Representative and Senators TODAY and ask them to Co-Sponsor H.R. 5052 and S. 2587

Find out your Senators' and Representative's contact information at http://www.opencongress.org/people/zipcodelookup

At this time all of our voices count. We need to join together to make sure they are all heard.

#58 · (Edited)
Ivory dealing is now illegal. [...]
Please excuse me, but I am confused by this statement and require clarification.

See post #56. Like 'Ecrevisse', I believe elephant ivory legislation is being considered, but that it has not yet been 'finalized/implemented'.

Your post implies that the proposed ban on interstate commerce has already been 'finalized/implemented'. Did I miss something?

#60 ·
Brian,

Thanks for the link. :)

If I read your source correctly, there is a legislative proposal that would prohibit interstate sales of elephant ivory. This proposal, however, has not been 'finalized/implemented'. In fact, this proposal could change. See post #56 (i.e., H.R. 5052 and S. 2587).

Bottom Line - Unless I missed something, it is inaccurate to say that "vory dealing is now illegal".

#61 ·
You are correct.

However, some new restrictions became effective in May and June of this year and the pending regulations will substantially eliminate both interstate and intrastate commercial ivory trade. This is my personal interpretation.

Because of the proposed regulations, I quit taking orders for ivory grips some time ago. There is certainly debate as to whether the proposed regulations will reduce poaching. I am not familiar enough with this very complex issue to have an opinion either way. That said, I am all in favor of any regulations that reduce poaching and assuming that the US Fish and Wildlife Service is better informed than I am, I will not contest their proposals unless I can be convinced that they will be counterproductive.

#62 ·
Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I truly appreciate an 'insider' perspective. :)

For the record, I was not trying to:
* forecast what the final regulation will be with respect to 'interstate/intrastate' commerce;
* criticize you, or any other grip maker, that has exited this market;
* start a debate about the impact of the proposed regulation on poaching.

I was simply pointing out that post #57, to the best of my knowledge, was inaccurate (i.e., elephant ivory sales are still legal, at least for now).

#65 ·
I am not an expert. However, as I understand the issue:
> the current administration wants to significantly restrict the domestic (re)sale of elephant ivory.
Reference: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...y-combating-wildlife-trafficking-commercial-b
> to achieve this goal, the administration has begun a series of executive orders aimed at restricting the sale of elephant ivory. For example, "any item containing ivory cannot be sold within the United States unless the seller is able to prove that the item was imported prior to 1990."
Reference: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/f...ory-and-importation-of-elephant-trophies.aspx
> the ultimate goal, prohibition of interstate commerce in elephant ivory, has been proposed, but not yet achieved.
Reference: http://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html
> there is some push-back against total prohibition. Specifically, bills have been introduced that would "protect firearms owners and sportsmen from a federal ban on the sale and trade of objects containing lawfully-imported elephant ivory" (i.e., H.R. 5052 and S. 2587).
Reference: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/f...ory-and-importation-of-elephant-trophies.aspx

I do not pretend to know how this will end up. However, as of right now, it appears that "ivory dealing" is still legal (as long as the seller can prove importation prior to 1990). Case in point, 'Nutmeg Sports' is still "dealing"(i.e., http://www.nutmegsports.com).