1911Forum banner

New 1911 .22 had some issues

6K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  korny351 
#1 ·
Hello.

Just picked up a Colt 1911 .22 rail gun. Took it to the range for the first time today.

First 20 or so rounds went just fine. Then it began having extraction issues and a few feed issues. I think the extraction issues caused the feed issues. So by the time we were through 60 rounds very few of the rounds were extracted. Had to manually extract and on several occasions the spent round didn't extract.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. I can call Colt and send it in but if it's something I can "fix" without doing that, I'd rather not be without it for that long.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input,

Jax

#31 ·
I used CCI 22LR Lead-Free Hollow Point - 21 grain.
Taken directly from CCI's website

Accurate to 50 yards. Maximum range 3/4 mile. Use in ANSI sporting chambers only - Do Not Use in match chambers. May not function in all semi-automatic firearms. Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions.
1260 fps in handguns

The issue here is the light bullet. Not enough recoil impulse to properly cycle the slide, especially on a new tight weapon. Might work on a few, but as soon as the pistol gets a little dirty there's just not enough umph to operate correctly. Move up to a heavier grain bullet and all should be good. Once the pistol is "broken in" you might try them again. Even then they might not have enough power for proper operation.

#28 ·
+ another 1 for Mini-Mags. .22LR autos tend to be a little picky about what they'll cycle properly with. Might be that the stuff you're using isn't hot enough.

#10 ·
I just got the same gun brand new as OP and ran 100 40gr mini mags through it first with absolutely zero malfunctions. Then for hoots I grabbed my box of winchester bulk and to my surprise, 25 rounds with zero failure. I can't even get through 10rds with my 10/22 with that stuff and the 1911 gobbled it up no prob. I ran it pretty wet with SLIP2000.

Definitely try the mini mags, non hollow point and oil it well. Let it break in and then try a few boxes of various ammo to see what i likes.

#12 ·
It is a blast to shoot. Here is a nasty trick i like to do go guys at the range. I see couple at the range. If i see a couple and the guy has the wife/girl freind shooting something too big for them or they are just new and timid. I hand it to him with a few mags and tell him have her try this. Shorlty there after I here OH i like that much better than your gun, and then I interject yeah an they are only about 300 bucks.. :rofl::rofl: some guys are pretty happy because the women is happy other guys are like gee thanks now i gotta buy her one. And looks at me like Im a rep for GSG.

#15 ·
I just bought the GSG as well. I have only had issues with the Federal 40 grain solids (1240 fps). Winchester 36 gr (1280 fps), Fed Auto Match 40 grain solid (1200 fps) and Blazeer 40 grain solids all worked fine. Maybe the Federals will start working as gun gets broke in.

#16 ·
For those people that are having FTF, FTE issues, what procedures did you use from when you purchased the handgun until you posted? I have spoken with numerous 1911 .22 owners that went through a ritual cleaning, oiling, and racking hundreds of times before even chambering their first round.

#17 ·
Deep cleaning out of the box. Clean and oil after each range visit. But the racking the slide prior to use is a new one one me.

I have two clips for the GSG so I don't know if it is a clip issue or a load issue. Maybe I should mark the clips to see if one fails over the other.

#18 ·
'Shot my GSG & Umarex Gold Cup "As they Come.."
out of the box, and even used allot of Sub-Sonic's..
The only thing neither likes is plain lead nosed bullets..
Copper or brass jacketed = No problemo..

Oh, I did clean them after about 500 rnds each..

#20 ·
I have the conversion for my Kimber PCII with lots of issues with FTE. Did a lot of polish and was able to get good results with Blazer, then got the new spring pack from Wolff and now have almost zero failures with bulk Blazer lead nose, maybe a dozen in over 1000. Also clean well after every trip to the range.

#22 ·
Have 2850 rounds through my GSG 1911 and worked my way through most of the intro problems. Tried all kinds of ammo. All the higher 36-40g loads with high velocities work well with the exception of any Winchester. Can not figure out why that ammo won't work. Tip of load seems a bit wider than other ammo. True! GSG seems to run better - when wetter. My only disappointment is that the slide finish is almost gone! Especially around the ejector port. Still working on the sights for elevation and learned that the slide material is so soft that one has to be cautious tightening the screw that holds the sights. The screw leaves an indentation on the slide material. Even light tightening lifts the sights. Otherwise it feels good and is fun to shoot.

#23 ·
Comments on GSG/SIG 1911 22

I've had the Sig version for several weeks, purchased new. Am going to spend some money for one of the after-market barrel bushing/guide rod/guide spring packages soon. There is about 1/32 of play in the barrel bushing, so I think changing the bushing will improve consistency. Doesn't seem like much until you see how much you can wiggle the barrel around in the bushing wth that amount of slop.

Also, the barrel screw tension seems to pull the point of impact to one side, and it loosens itself during the course of a range session. Once I have the upgrade installed, I plan to remove the barrel screw. The barrel does appear to be firmly planted at the breech end, so I think I can remove the barrel screw without any negative effects.

The sights are hard to see and are crooked, so Dawson sights will probably be next.

I like the gun a lot, but it really seems to need modifications to be as good as it should have been out of the box. Despite that, making changes seems to be a better move than spending the money to move to a different 22 that I don't like as well. This may be the gun that entices me to move from Glock to 1911 form-factor, even with its flaws.

#25 ·
My Colt rail gun has about 800 rounds w/ only 3 or 4 failures, ftb's all w/ Remington Golden bullet. It has been flawless w/ CCI Blazer, Wldcat, and Federal ammo. In their defense the Golden Bullets were stored in a very damp envirorment for a couple of years and this certaintly isn't helping.

#27 ·
Some are. For instance, the Sig 1911-22 and the GSG 1911-22 are basically the same gun. They take the same magazines. Not sure about any of the others though. I'm not the best shot, but here is a sample target I shot with my Sig 1911-22 @ 15yd using CCI Blazer 40gr solids:

I'm not sure how this compares to others that are better shots, but the gun can do at least this well with me behind the trigger. I like to shoot at least 10-shot groups to get a true feel for accuracy.

#30 ·
I have the sig 1911 22 as well. Even with the crap plastic sights, it shoots better than my Ruger 22/45. Just watch the guide rod assembly. My original one is somewhere out in the desert. Somebody here posted some sites where you can get a good metal replacement.
Mine doesn't like the exposed lead rounds, but everything else shoots just fine. Happy plinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.