1911Forum banner

New BLACK Dan Wesson .45's

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  diesel79 
#1 ·
I recently ordered a Stainless DW Valor from Dave Severns, and asked him to give it the Hard Hat treatment before shipping it to my FFL. At the same time I shipped him my Stainless '09 CBOB to Hard Hat at the same time. Without pictures it didn't happen... so here is what they look like. I find it exceedingly difficult to photograph black guns but this is the best I could do:

It took about 5 weeks to get them back to me; just enough time for me to make a couple of pairs of grips out of some really dark Desert Ironwood that I thought would compliment the black guns.

CBOB before Hard Hat treatment, dirty from shooting 200 rounds.

Both guns with Hard Hat treatment and new grips.

The other side...

A closer look at the CBOB. Hard Hat treatment is a matte finish pure black.

A closer look at the Valor. Hard Hat treatment is "grippy" not slick, and holds oil.

A final look at the business end of the Valor showing how smooth and black this finish is.

I was on the fence about the look of the Hard Hat treatment never having seen one in person, but I can tell you that I'm very pleased with it, and will soon be sending another Stainless DW off to be done. I only have a couple of hundred rounds thru each of these pistols so I can't give you a long-term wear report, but so far it appears to be holding up very well indeed.

See less See more
#4 ·
what did it cost for the hard hat finish.i just received a new ss valor with a terrible splotchy bead blast finish.cant get anyone to call me back from dw after leaving several messages.only choice i have now is to sell it at a loss or have it coated.really dont care for the coatings i have seen but the hard hat finish might look better than what i have now.

#7 ·
Looks great, he must have guns stacked to ceiling he has one of mine too.

#8 ·
HARD HAT TREATMENT HOW TO:
Step 1: Send away your silver gun to Nevada.
Step 2: Include a small bag of Gold.
Step 3: Wait a few weeks for it to return.
Step 4: Smile!
It wouldn't be proper to talk about cost here. For info go to 'smith Dave's website at severnscustom.com. Don't forget to factor in shipping costs both ways (which are considerable). Still worth it!

No relationship to Dave Severns, but I am a very satisfied customer.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.