1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there a reason to buy a fullsize 1911?

20K views 167 replies 62 participants last post by  LW McVay 
#1 ·
I carry a LWT Commander (several LWT Commanders) but I have been looking at buying a full size 1911 and just have trouble justifying the purchase.
Ideas ?

#4 ·
Let me ask you this?

Can you think of any reason not to?:dope:

#6 ·
Only reason I could think of was possible lack of use. I carry and use my lwt commanders all the time.
I enjoy the look and feel of a full size, but I know it will not be a ccw pistol due to its size and weight. (two separate deployment injuries). I carry ccw with a great iwb holster by TT Gunleather with my lwt commanders.
But I really like the traditional looks of the full size.

Can you think of any reason not to?:dope:

#10 ·
Well I just bought one and I just need a one thing, someones number my wife can call when I tell her its not my fault its the forums, lol.

It should be here sometime this week. I purchased a Smith and Wesson 1911 E Series, full size, Stainless/Crimson Trace.

:D

#70 · (Edited)
Get another TTGunleather for it too, you won't know the difference when you're wearing it. I have TTGunleathers for my 3, 4 and 5" 1911s and they all carry comfortably, no printing. I'm wearing one all day, everyday. You're going to love the S&W.

#11 · (Edited)
I have all 4 sizes. A Long Slide, 2 5" guns, 2 Commander sized and an Officer sized gun. All have their charms, I don't carry the long slide and only carry the full sized OWB in a Galco Concealment made for a Commander at 4 O'clock. The Commanders and the Officers also work in the same holster but I tend to carry them in a Galco IWB with nearly the same feel and gun position. The little and medium guns disappear, the larger guns are a bit more in terms of weight and bulk but handle with no problems.

I have about 6 other holsters from a hybrid duty to a Blackhawk Serpa and a Bianchi for OWB and another Bianchi for IWB. All have served at one point or another and I actually prefer the Serpa when I don't have to hide the guns. So much depends on the holster in terms of comfort and ease of carry that the gun becomes more or less meaningless. None of my guns are light weight, all have either blued steel or stainless frames.

I'm not a big guy nor am I particularly strong anymore after 70 years on this earth. My stature helps me with concealment as I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs with a 32" waist so I can tuck the guns in close to the body and have to worry about belt or pants sagging.

As to why a full sized gun? Why not? A bit less recoil, a bit less muzzle flip, a bit faster follow up shot. My Long Slide excels at that, BTW. I'm still tunin' and workin' on it with an eye towards the death or serious injury of some bowling pins and steel plates. For now it has to settle for clay pigeons at 25 yards who are a bit ambivalent about their fate but are looking a bit worried as I and the gun improve.

#16 ·
ACtually,there's not much difference between a Commander and a full size for carry if you get a LW full size.The slide is easier to conceal than the grip frame,if you're already carrying a Commander all the time,you'll probably see very little real difference in the 5"..

#23 · (Edited)
I had a Ed Brown Kobra Carry (commander), but I found that I carried my 5" Ed Brown all the time. 3/4 of an inch isn't the issue of CCW with a 1911. A proper holster with a forward cant and clothing will fix this problem. Bobtail vs non-Bobtail. I can't tell a difference in shooting them, but when holstered IWB I would lean to a Bobtail. Just My Opinion.

#27 ·
I carry a lightweight Colt GM most of the time. It is no harder to hide than a Commander. I will sometimes alternate with a steel 5" but my back can tell a little difference at the end of the day. I carry both in a Wild Bill's Contour belt slide. I just prefer the feel and the extended sight plane of a 5" gun and sold or traded all my commanders except one Series 70 NIB.

#28 ·
I see it the other way around.

There's no reason to accept a substitute for a full size 1911 other than some additional challenges in concealing/carrying a full size 1911.

In warmer weather -- and only in warmer weather -- I'll concede to carrying a compact 1911. For all other purposes, it's full size.

#30 ·
My question is: Is there a reason not to buy a full sized 1911? Of course not, we all need at least one of everything!

Seriously, though. I will say that all steel 5" guns are more comfortable for long range sessions than LW Commanders. You can get a nice range gun (just my dime-a-dozen opinion, but my first choice would be the STI Spartan) for around $600 and give your LW a rest every now and then.

#32 ·
Over the years I've carried various Commander and Officer-sized 1911s, as well as full-sized all steel 5" models. These were my discoveries:

1) I just plain shoot a full-sized steel 1911 better.

2) The smaller 1911s were more prone to malfunctions.

3) Despite the smaller size and reduced weight, I did not find them significantly easier to carry or conceal than a full-sized 1911, at least not so much as to consider it an adequate trade off considering 1 & 2 above. Having the right belt + IWB holster combo pretty much negated the weight/size differences.

So, after years of experimenting I made the decision to carry the gun that I performed the best with, was the most reliable and that was just as easy to tote around.

If I wanted something smaller and lighter than a 5" 1911 I would probably go with another type of handgun altogether. Possibly a Glock 19 or HK45C if I wanted to stay with .45ACP.

These are just my opinions based on my past experiences. YMMV.

#35 ·
I've been carrying a five-inch 1911A1 for over five years now. In the Summer months I carry small of the back with a IWB Don Hume, the rest of the time it's in a Left-hand custom-made Askins' Avenger with the FBI forward cant. No problems whatsoever concealing. I'm 6' and 185.

A five-inch 1911 prints less than a 38Spl Snubbie.

#36 ·
I've been carrying a five-inch 1911A1 for over five years now. In the Summer months I carry small of the back with a IWB Don Hume, the rest of the time it's in a Left-hand custom-made Askins' Avenger with the FBI forward cant. No problems whatsoever concealing. I'm 6' and 185.

A five-inch 1911 prints less than a 38Spl Snubbie.
That is absolutely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.