1911Forum banner

Check out the M1911 Folding Knife I've made! :-)

132K views 411 replies 171 participants last post by  Captainpalace 
#1 · (Edited)
After 3 months' hardwork, it is finally done.

Introducing the M1911 Folding Knife! :rock:

The idea is standard 1911 bushing, screws and grip panels, so I can actually customize the knife according to my mood of the day. :D But it looks quite nice no matter what kind of grips I put on it. ;)

Here is the story behind this special project:

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I came up with the idea some time ago when I was wondering what kind of knife I want to carry. Got to have a knife with the .45 grips. I started sketches, drawings, and then prototyping.

At the same time I ran a search online and found out that there were other people who had done this before (e.g. search for "Gene Baskett" in Google). But I believed I could make something better than those existing designs.

Prototyping went pretty well, and I was happy with how the locking mechanism worked. Showed it to some knife nuts, and I was told that I needed to use a good blade steel. I ordered some 440C, and also some CPM S30V from Crucible.

In September 2009 I tried and ran a trial production in a friend's workshop in South China. I flew over there with the steel, and stayed there to make the knives. Blade hardening was done according to Crucible's heat treatment guide, so no problems there. Steel cutting, machining and grinding were all pretty easy. However I went into a lot of problems in making the standard 1911 screws and screw bushings, because it was a very special tap specs that nobody else uses. I have a couple sets of M1911-A1 drawings, but without the specialty taps (to create the threads) I couldn't make them right. Many attempts later, I ordered the taps from Brownells and Midway USA, and was finally able to make correct threads that are compatible with standard 1911 screws and screw bushings.

In 2010, I have been working hard on moving production back to Canada. I make about 50 - 60 knives every time, offering a mixture of blade steel (S30V and 440C), and an assortment of wood and G10 grips. I hope to see how 1911 owners respond to it, and will decide whether I will continue and make some more.

See less See more
#70 ·
I have mine or order. :rock: Can't wait to show them off at the range. :cool:

#87 ·
!911 Knife

Got mine today!!! :D

Terry did an excellent job. It is really cool when someone can take something like this from concept to product and it is... well... just right. One of these will satisfy most any 1911 enthusiast.

Well made, nice finish, smooth operation, locks up tight. Ouch! sharp too. :biglaugh:

:rock:

#92 ·
I found the Ultimate Equipment web site, but I can't get it to work. It only shows the home page while none of the links work. There is no information as to price and how to order.
Any advice or info? :confused:
Yes, the web site is under construction, especially today. Finally got some time to write a little about blade steel, specs, the locking mechanism, etc.

I'm hoping to upload the web site tonight. At that time most of the links should work and there will be some contents and pictures.

Please pay a visit next week. Thanks.

#90 ·
I believe that he is just launching his website and it is still under construction… site appears top quality, so they take a little time to get all of the links in place for the pages. I pm’d him directly and I should have 2 of his knives arriving tomorrow (according to the tracking information he sent upon shipment).

#91 ·
Considering how many knives members of this forum have purchased… it might be good to approach him as an advertiser or forum supporter? I bought 2 from him myself…

#97 ·
1911 Folding knife

I received mine today,just fantastic.If you like 1911 pistols you have to get one of these knives.
I live in upstate NY,Terry shipped from British Columbia on 11/27 and I received it today 11/30.
When my wife has time I'll get her to help my post some pics of the knofe and my Springfield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.