1911Forum banner

Just got my DW V SS. (And my review)

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Zerodefect 
#1 · (Edited)
I know, pics or it didn't happen. My first DW, and my first "semi-custom" or higher end 1911. Only Kimbers, Springys and Colt experience before this one, and so far this one is by far the best one yet.

Shot 300 rounds of WWB and Fed 230gn FMJ. No failures. Great accuracy. Very, very nice trigger.

I added the left over thick grips from my Kimber CDP. The gun comes with very nice black VZ thin grips. But since this needs another 700 rounds through her before CCW, I put the thicker grips on. I think she'll get a set of smooth, thick, aboyna burl grips from Sarges grips soon.

Was imediately obvious that this gun was more accurate than my Kimber, and quicker on target. The sights get alot of credit here. The rear Heinie also has a proper straight forward edge. That's good should you need to rack the slide with one hand by setting the sight on your holster and pushing down. impossible with regular sloped sights. Very thin front sight, I think. Much faster than my Kimbers Meprolights.

I'll probally order a "Kimber cut" set of Heinie sights for my CDP, after shooting these, without the tritium lamps though. Anybody know the part #'s for "Kimber cut" versions of the DW V sights??? Standard not night???

Very tight slide. Way tighter than my Kimber, which is quite a bit tighter than my Colt. No play at all in the slide. Bushing is very tight, and hard to remove and install for field stripping.

Came with 2 nice Checkmate 8rnd mags. But those mags have stinky metal followers. So I used Wilson 47d 8 and 10 round mags for those first 300 rounds until I can order some proper Tripp mag followers.

Grip safety seems to allow me to grip higher than normal with my other 1911's. It's a bit slimmer than my Kimbers, seems to be cut better.

As far as feel. The front and rear checkering are really grippy. I think I like it's 25lpi checkering better than 30lpi now. And the checkering is raised above the frames surface, not cut into it. The VZ grips work well and fit perfect, but I want some smooth thick grips for extended range trips and when this is used as a secondary weapon during carbine classes.

The lettering on the pistol all seems painted on and raised slightly. First trip for refinishing/beadblasting years from now may result in a clean 1911 with no markings at all. How sweet is that!

Easy the best "semi-custom" 1911 I've shot.

Pros:
+no billboards, great finish.
+great sights, great thought with the rear sight straight leading edge for one handed operation.
+super tight slide/frame and slide/barrel bushing fit. Thick bushing and unique barrel fit/look.
+no failure with POS WWB ammo.
+no MIM, forged slide, forged frame. Small parts are steel. Al trigger.
+VZ thin grips
+nice grip safety
+ stainless barrel, GI guide rod
+series 70, no FP safety
+light, smooth trigger, like a very, very thin sheet of glass breaking. Probally a full pound lighter than my 5" Kimber CDP.

Cons:
-I'm going to round the rear edge of the safety lever down a little. It's made properly, but my hands are weird. (Long, but kind of skinney hands) Only a noticeable thing if I hold the gun weakly and wrong.

-metal mag followers are so WW1, plastic Tripp or Wilson followers needed. Metal followers ate chunks out of my CDP, I'm not going to chance that on a gun allmost twice as expensive.
-I prefere standard sights, not night sights, but these are clean, and work well in day light. Front sight is easy to pick up.

-expensive, word got out that DW had great deals, I made a low ball offer on a Black Valor a couple weeks ago when it arrived, I got shot down and it sold an hour after I left. So these are moving. But I don't see a Baer as being better. The custom Wilson Tacticals with the cone barrles and long slides, and the Ed Brown Spec Ops models have awesome features. But for regular 1911's, I really don't see any flaws in the DW V's at all.

-with some patience I kept all my rounds on a sheet of notebook paper at 15 yards standing. I'm no sharpshooter with pistols though.

-It would be nice if the bump on the grip safety was 1-2mm taller. But maybe that's more of a "game gun" thing, and not as safe for carry? I don't know? I've heard of some gamers, putting a pin in thier grip safeties, I don't want to go there....

-that same awesome front strap checkering thats so great for grip and control, is also quite painful after 300 rounds. So for long 3 day classes, better bring some gloves, a smooth 1911, or a Glock.

See less See more
#7 ·
Can't argue with a preference for the Wilson orTripp mag followers, but there are a couple reasons that the Checkmate followers should not replicate the issue you had with your Kimber CDP. Far from being "stinky metal followers" that are "so WW I", the Checkmate followers are skirted front and back-they can't tip forward and gouge your frame the way some metal followers have been known to do. And, as Wade 19 wrote, gouging a forged SS frame just ain't gonna happen-no matter what follower you have in your mags.

Looks like a terrific gun. Enjoy!

#11 · (Edited)
The Olive grey grips are a different look for sure. I like grips that contast. White buffalo bone grips on a all Black 1911, and darker colored grips on stainless. I just had these laying around, figured i'd snap pics for fun.

Those Alumagrips work better on my CDP. It needs faded looking grips. And the slim Alumagrips are slimmer than the stock VZ slimgrips that came with the Valor. Too slim, makes the gun seem heavy and contrasts with the oversized safety and slide stop too much.

I've got something special for grips coming soon that liven up and contrast the stainless.............

#12 ·
Now with sarges grips.

Got some proper grips:

Feels and points so much better with these.

Going to be a shame to shoot this gun, but she's a shooter. 1000 rounds now, no failures. None. And I'm out of .45 ammo, so this ones done, time to fix up my Kimber CDP.

Plan on taking an advanced pistol class next spring, TDI most likely, then doing some IDPA with this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.