1911Forum banner

Load for .45 185 gr Hornady XTP?

23K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  WESHOOT2 
#1 ·
I just purchased my first pistol (Kimber Custom Classic)and want to start reloading for it. Does anyone have a favorite, clean load for the .45 185 gr Hornady XTP HP? I can't seem to find one in my books. Is it safe to use a load for a Speer Gold dot of the same weight/configuration and cut it by 5 or 10 percent to start with?

THanks,

#2 ·
inKYfromSD said:
Does anyone have a favorite, clean load for the .45 185 gr Hornady XTP HP? I can't seem to find one in my books. Is it safe to use a load for a Speer Gold dot of the same weight/configuration and cut it by 5 or 10 percent to start with?

THanks,
You should be able to use any 185gr data that uses jacketed bullets.

My .45 ACP favorite is:
200gr LSWC
3.8gr Clays
1.257"-1.260" OAL
CCI 300 primers

#3 ·
fallacy

To suggest that jacketed-bullet data is interchangeable is utterly irresponsible; jacketed bullets are not alike except perhaps in weight (but better weigh some to check).

From Hornady:

Hornady case
Federal 150

185g XTP-HP
W231 5.4g--6.3g
AA5 7.0g--8.1g
HS6 7.8g--8.9g

#4 · (Edited)
There will indeed be some variation in load recipes for some 185 grain bullets, but, I doubt you'll find all that much difference "start charge/max charge" in most "185 JHP" recipes for the XTP...

You are much more likely to see a difference using different loading manual sources (who's max charge is right, Winchester or Hornady?? Or Sierra? Or Lyman??) than with different manufacturer's JHP bullets....

With the .45acp's 'massive" 14k-18 k pressure range, it just won't matter "much" unless using near max charges in searching for the elusive load that safely reaches 1200 feet/sec with 185 grain bullet at 18k psi...it ain't happening within normal pressure constraints....!

Ultimately, if using charges near the middle 1/3 of established manuals/sources, it's honestly hard to screw up a .45 acp reload set to 1.24" OAL or so! (I certainly don't pay attention to brass headstamp or primer selection as being that critical in a .45 acp reload)

Unique, or 231, neither are disasters waiting to happen with sensible loads!

#6 ·
The bullseye guys are using the Nosler 185 JHP over N310 powder - there are stories about that being the most accurate load found for the 45acp. N310 powder is very clean.

These are usually light loads - the Marine shooting team load is suppose to be 4.1g of N310 - I've seen where 4.4g of N310 shot very good groups.
These loads would require a lighter spring. I tried the Marine load but couldn't get reliable functioning even with an 8 lb spring which was disappointing since the load was very accurate.

I'm not sure what the max load using N310 powder and a 185JHP would be.

And more importantly I don't know how the Nosler compares to the XTP - that would require careful load development.

I've shot a lot of the 185g Noslers over 5 or 5.2g of N320 - very good accuracy and very clean - N320 is a tad slower that N310 and very similar to Win 231 as far a charge weights.

#8 ·
Thanks!

Thank you for the responses. I'm still in the process of getting all of my equipment (a chronograph is next) and appreciate everyone's input on the proper load recipes. I received my .45 ACP "Loadbook" yesterday and had a chance to look through it. Hornady makes the statement that "Bullseye, Unique, and N320 performed best with the lighter bullets" yet they don't have a load using Unique until you get to their 230 gr bullets. Bullseye and W231 seem to be the most common powders used in the lighter bullets from all manufacturers.

I think I'll get a pound of Bullseye, Titegroup, and W231, some CCI 300 and Federal 150 primers, clean my brass and have it at.

Browsing through my new "Loadbook", I found the following loads for 900 fps, 185 gr bullets:

These are in the middle range of the Hornady recommend range for 185 XTP HP and SWC (Fed 150 primers):
Titegroup - 5.5 gr (6.6 max)
Bullseye - 5.7 gr (7.0 max)
W231 - 6.3 gr (7.2 max)

Going to the Sierra 185 JHP and FPJ Match bullets at 900 fps lists (Fed 150 primers):
Titegroup - 5.5 gr (6.2 max)
Bullseye - 5.3 gr (5.6 max)
W231 - 6.0 gr (6.3 max)

Looking at the Speer 185 gr GD-HP loads (CCI 300 primers):
Titegroup - no load shown
Bullseye - 5.7 gr @ 874 fps (6.4 max)
W231 - 6.6 gr @ 837 fps (7.4 max)

Nosler 185 gr HP (Fed 150 primers):
Titegroup - no load shown
Bullseye - 4.9 @ 780 fps (5.4 max)
W231 - 5.6 @ 747 fps (6.1 max)

Conclusion: all 185 jacketed loads are not created equal but a few are very similar.

#9 ·
Who do you trust? Bullet or powder manuf?

Looking at the Winchester powder site I see that they have a load for the Hornady 185 gr. JSWC using W231, 5.0 gr @ 762 fps with a max. of 5.9 gr @ 906 fps. Hornady recommends the same loads for both their 185 HP-XTP and SWC of W231, 6.3 gr @ 900 fps with a max of 7.2 @ 1000 fps. That seems like a big discrepancy to me. Who do you trust?

#10 ·
trust yer gun

Bullseye, W231, and Titegroup are ranged at the 'fast' burn rate end of the available choices; not recommended for maximum-velocity ammo.

'Medium' rate powders can often provide more reliable, safer, more accurate ammo under the lighter bullets.
I suggest instead of Bullseye you buy a lb of Alliant Power Pistol.
Or HS6.
Or AA5.

W231 is a standard 45 ACP powder, with many uses (I've used it under bullets weighing from 165g up to 252g).
Titegroup has its fans, although I don't care for its case-sooting nature.
Bullseye is often capable of producing superior accuracy, but at the expense of cleanliness.

Titegroup.
W231.
AA5 / HS6 / Power Pistol.

Check your burn-rate chart(s).........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.