1911Forum banner

How to paste photos in posts

3K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Jason D 
#1 ·
I have seen a lot folks paste there photos in posts and I can only upload photos as thumbnails that have to be clicked on.

How do you post photos in the posts Need Help!

#2 ·
Find a photo hosting sight, lots of them out there. Photobucket is one.
Load your photo there.
Open the photo, right click and choose properties. Highlight the URL of the photo. Right click and choose copy.

On this site, it the box where you post a reply, at the top you will see a yellow box with a mountain in it.
Click on it, a dialogue box pops up, you will see http:// that is highlighted, right click on it and choose paste. Click OK. When you click "post quick reply" your picture will appear in the thread.

#5 ·
You dont have to right click, in order to copu the url on photobucket. Just click on the pic then click on the img orl in the list to the right of the pic. The url will ne copied. You still have to right click for pasting in your post.

#7 ·
On Photobucket, after you load your picture(s) into a library and place them in whatever folder you create, the thumbnails of the picture will come up on the page. Right below the picture (thumbnail) you will see the the following

IMG
URL-http://smg.photobucketxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mouse down to the URL-http://smg.photobucketxxxxxxxxxx part and then click that area and it will become highlighted. Keep the mouse there when it become highlighted and right click that area and the context menu will pop up and click the copy option.

Thats it! Go to the thread that you are wanting to post a picture in and Paste the copied info in there and boom, you will have your picture displayed as soon as you click on "Post Reply"

#13 ·
Testing.

I think, but am not sure that you can upload an attachment to the forum. Edit your post, and copy the attachment's address. I think you can then put the board code on it and have it show up full size.

I know that worked on GT at one time.

For the most part I use Tinypic. You can upload real quick, and it gives you the link in code already. I wouldn't use it for personal stuff though. I save that stuff for a host that you can set to private. My photobucket is private.

Attachments

#18 ·
One thing that pisses me off the most when it comes to people posting pictures, is that a lot of people don't take the time to resize their photos.

Yes you can post a pic copied straight from your camera, but dang it people resize them.

#19 ·
OK, what I posted previously is indeed the correct code. However, I understand that not everyone knows how to work that code. So, here's the long version...get comfortable because I've tried to be comprehensive...

I'm only going to do this once.

There are three ways to put pictures in a thread on this forum. The first and easiest is to send them to me: rastoff1@gmail.com I will post them for you, but I do have a life so it might not happen immediately.

The second way is to attach them. Personally I don't like to attach photos, but it does work.

Third is to have the picture on line somewhere. There are two ways to use this method. One is by simple code and the other is through using the picture button that looks like this:
Both of these methods can be used in either Quick or Advanced replies.

This is the code method:

This type of board uses code within brackets to tell the program what to display. For example, to make characters bold you would use the code tags around text. So this hello[ /b] becomes this hello.
(Note that I added an extra space just before the /b. This will stop the code from working so I can display it here. I will use this convention throughout this description.)

The same thing works for pictures. The picture code is
. All you have to do is put the URL between the tags. The URL is the web address where the picture is.

For this example I will use the forum heading at the top of this page. For Firefox users, right click on the picture and click Copy image location:

Now just type
. Then click Preview Post and you'll see what your post will look like. The code should look like this: http://forums.1911forum.com/images/1911custom/top_logo.png[ /IMG] and the image like this:
[IMG]http://forums.1911forum.com/images/1911custom/top_logo.png

If you are using MS Explorer, there is an additional step. First, right click on the image you want to insert:

Then click Properties which brings up this menu:

Then just copy the URL. Insert between the tags as before and your image will show up in the post.

You can avoid typing the tags manually by clicking on the
button. Click on the image button and in the window that pops up just paste in the URL you copied and click OK. This will put the URL with the appropriate tags around it.

Try inserting the forum logo as I did now. It's a good exercise.

The above is only valuable if the picture is already on the internet somewhere. "But Rastoff, what if I want to use a picture that's on my computer?" Well, I'm glad you asked. First it must be loaded on the internet. This is where things like Picasa, Photobucket and the like come in handy. I like Photobucket so, I'm going to tell you how to use it.

First register and open an account. There are tools on Photobucket that tell you how to upload your pictures. Follow those instructions, they are really easy. Like all you have to do is drag the picture from your computer and drop it where they tell you.

Now, to get the picture into this forum, just copy the IMG tag that Photobucket provides, like this:

Navigate to the Photobucket page that has the pic you want-

Then click on the picture so it shows up large-

Then click on the IMG code indicated by the red arrow. All you have to do is click on it. The code will flash yellow indicating that it has been copied to the clip board. Then go back to the forum page and press the Ctrl+V keys on your keyboard to paste that code into the post. You can also right click and paste. Either way works. Photobucket has already put the tags in for you so you don't need to do that.

A common mistake when using Photobucket is to add additional [img] tags or use the [IMG]http://smith-wessonforum.com/images/blue_style/editor/insertimage.gif button. Then a picture will look like this:

Notice the extra tags on either side of the pic? Just go in and delete those.

There it is. Any questions? If you're still having trouble just let me know and I can walk you through it.

#27 ·
Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, GIMP is free and powerful, but not intuitive or user friendly. I just downloaded the most recent version and tried to do some simple editing. It took me about 20 minutes just to learn how to make one tool work. That experience will transfer to the other tools, but it's still not intuitive.

Here is a before and after of the same image:

Before

After

This was edited in GIMP. It took about 20 minutes to do the full edit. Yes, the differences are subtle, but that's the point. I think the after image is far superior to the original.

The most obvious change is the overall contrast/color/brightness fix. I think the after is much clearer and easier to view.

There are a ton of more subtle changes. I fixed the scratch on the knife blade. Then there was a lot of small "debris" on the mat the gun is sitting on. Lots of little specks removed in that operation. A few specks on the gun itself were removed. Then there were a couple of hairs I didn't like, got rid of those.

Then I resized it to 1,000 pixels wide.

Most of these "flaws" are things most people won't notice. When viewed side by side, and having the flaws pointed out, it's much easier to see why post processing is important. Once a few things were figured out, the GIMP was actually easier to use to get the finished product and it looks much less "altered" than if PE was used. Still, it takes some work.

In the end, the original will stand on its own. Subject matter is more important than anything else. That is the one thing that really can't be changed much. Sure, things can be added and deleted, but if the original subject isn't good, any addition/subtraction will be marginal.

I don't know why I'm going through all this, no one asked. Meh, I guess I'm just a geek and like to play with photos. I hope this helps a little. I'm willing to help with PE or GIMP or Lightroom should any of you try these programs.

#28 ·
That's at a whole new level that what I usually do.

I am good at subtracting small little bits and debris, and even adding and subtracting other things in the picture. I just suck at photo taking. I actually took a photography course once to learn. Though I did pick up some things, I lack at actually doing. So not all my shots start with a good quality base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.