1911Forum banner

.22lr Ammo Is Out Of This World For Online Pricing

5K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  JayhawkNavy02 
#1 ·
Ok.....I bought my 10 year old daughter a Marlin 60 and replaced it with a Boyds custom stock...She truly enjoys going to the range with me, and will go through about 250 rounds plinking away at the targets. From her first time shooting, she was a born natural, with very little instruction, she can shoot the center out at 7 and 10 yards. I purchased a couple of the 525rd boxes from Dicks Sporting, and that has lasted 3 trips to the range, so I was looking around on line and, the prices that I am finding is RE - dang - DICULOUS!!!! 1000rd boxes for $150+....I guess I will have to make multiple trips back to Dicks Sporting to get the single 525 round boxes for $25. I'll just have to make sure to stop by once a week on my way home and see if they have any on hand.

See less See more
#3 ·
At least .22 LR ammo is becoming available again. In the past month I've picked it up at:

Gander Mountain
Academy
Walmart
Bass Pro
Cabela's
Various LGS

I've been paying no more than $0.10 a round and that's for subsonic. High velocity has ran $0.07-$0.08 a round.

Cabela's had a TON of various .22 LR ammo on the shelves. Lots of Mini Mags, a boat load of Federal Champion Match and two or three other brands.

OP, head to the Allen Cabela's.

#5 ·
So far the "best" prices I've seen lately have been at smaller local gun shops. You know, the ones who have a small customer base and can't afford to screw them.

#7 ·
Hopefully you won't find a bunch of duds in those buckets. I've been running into some really lax quality control in the latest batches of .22 ammo, like misfires, deformed bullets, and soft lead that fouls up the bore after just a box or two.

#27 ·
Hopefully you won't find a bunch of duds in those buckets. I've been running into some really lax quality control in the latest batches of .22 ammo, like misfires, deformed bullets, and soft lead that fouls up the bore after just a box or two.
I've gotten a bunch of the Federal Match ammo. I shoot it out of a S&W 617 revolver. 20 - 30 rounds and the gun is a mess. \Fouls up and spitting lead all over the place.:mad:

#13 ·
I find it all the time at local gun stores. During the worst part of the .22 drought I dug out some guns I don't shoot that much and had a lot of fun not shooting a lot of ammo.

But yes, gone are the days of loading up a bunch of 25 round mags on your Ruger 10/22 or the like and burning through a couple bricks of .22. in an afternoon.

#16 ·
I had to laugh a couple days ago.
Our local Academy had 2 stacks of .22 ammo behind the gun counter.
2 versions of some Remington Premium I believe.
1 version was $14 and the other was $20 for a 50 round box.
And they were enforcing the 2 box limit!
I can shoot my 458 SOCOM reloads at that rate.

#23 ·
yep midway had them buckets for $59 they were on backorder for over a year !!!!
then they canceled my order and said the buckets were no longer available from manufacturer......I seen same buckets on cdnn sports last week @ $149........
once in a while gandermountain has a special SATERDAY only $69 (to get you in there store)....but they run out quickly

#24 ·
Personally I think it's time to start calling B.S. on the 22lr "shortage". Just this last week a LGS held a charity raffle for The Friends of NRA. One S&W M&P 22 with 11,100 rounds of Winchester white box. Of course I did buy the last 2 tickets ($20 each) of the 100 sold. Not just for the chance to win the pistol and ammo but because it goes for a good cause. Now IF there was a 22lr shortage, how would it even be possible to have 10 boxes of Winchester 222 white box?

#26 ·
There is not a shortage of centerfire pistol cartridges and the price is so close, I am simply shooting my handrolled 9mm instead of my .22 pistols. I have about 10K rounds I bought long before the shortage and I refuse to waste it.

Sad state of affairs.

#28 ·
Can you explain what you mean by calling BS on the shortage??
I was thinking my statement about the LGS raffling off 11,100 rounds would help explain what I meant. Think about this also, as stated by others here about seeing pallets of 22lr in big box stores that are only sold with new 22lr weapon purchases. Wait until "black friday" and you will see all the big box stores have a sale where the shelves are full. How can that happen if they weren't already sitting on it. I am not saying the supply is fully back to pre-shortage levels, but IF the stores would start stocking the shelves with what they had then the shooting public would see supply starting to return to normal and ease up on the (for lack of a better phrase) "panic style buying". Personally I think there may be only 2 ways to bring about the end of the shortage. Either the manufactures flood the market with product, or for people to ease up on the panic buying (I better buy every round I can get my hands on) and honestly find out how much they would normally shoot in a week or month and buy for that. Unfortunately I think the manufacturers have gotten a taste of what kind of profits "the humble 22lr" can bring and are hungry for more. But I have rambled on long enough, whether you agree with me or not is up to you all. I am not by any means an "expert" on the subject, it's just my 2 cents based on my observations.

#32 ·
Well, went out to Sportsmans Warehouse @ lunch for a new bottle of FP-10 and some 10mm ammo. When I walked in a saw a guy w/a box of 500 Thunderbolts so I went back and saw there were 5 of them left on the shelf. Only could by 1 but decided on the way back to work to stop @ Dicks, sure enough they had a whole shelf of Winchester 555 rnds. Only could get 1, cost $29.99 so less than 6 cents a round. They also had boxes of CCI 300 rnd, they wanted $64 for those. I got the Wins. Ended up with 1055 rnds, not bad for a quick lunch run. Guy @ Dicks said it's been slow, come back tomorrow we'll probably still have them. Good news, maybe they are starting to come back. Still limited on how many you can buy, again guy @ Dicks said 'for now we're still limiting qty but may not in the near future'.

#34 ·
There is a shortage because EVERYBODY that owns 22's (and we know that's a few) is trying to add to inventory so they don't come up short again.

I have all I need for a good while. All bought at Walmart, using brassbadger.com to track inventory. At normal retail prices. About $.05-.06 a round.

#35 · (Edited)
My local shop/range now has so much golden bullet that they lowered their brick price from $45 to $35. They have two pallets of it taking up a corner of space. You can buy entire cases if you want.
They also have hundreds upon hundreds of 100 packs of mini mags on a shelf, but they are holding at $9.95 on those for now, "because it's not taking up as much space".
Another place not as close to me has a mountain of federal auto crap bricks for $20 each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.