1911Forum banner

Why does it need to be discreet?

8K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  jkhouw1 
#1 ·
I see this a lot on this forum. Sellers accept Paypal but say it as "discreet Paypal payment". When I see that stated I get the impression that the seller thinks that if there is any mention of gun in the payment that Paypal will close their account or something. It makes me both :biglaugh: and :scratch: at the same time. So why do people think Paypal cares if you are using it for firearms parts?

As long as it is not an FFL required item they allow you to use their service. If they did not allow firearms parts to be paid via their service then they would not allow companies like EGWGUNS.com to use them as a payment type. I mean EGW's website has GUN in the name. Their name itself also includes the word GUN as that is what the G stands for. Paypal clearly knows that they sell non restricted gun parts.

#3 ·
If they did not allow firearms parts to be paid via their service then they would not allow companies like EGWGUNS.com to use them as a payment type. I mean EGW's website has GUN in the name. Their name itself also includes the word GUN as that is what the G stands for. Paypal clearly knows that they sell non restricted gun parts.
Can't say how EGW has their account listed with PayPal, but Fusion Firearms is listed with PayPal as Fusion Precision Engineering.

PayPal is a bunch of hypocrites. They accept thousands of dollars daily for all the gun related products on Ebay and yet they claim to be anti-gun and will not allow actual firearms to be purchased through PayPal.

#5 ·
I see plenty of sellers stating clearly to pay as a gift or include x% for fees. It is clear that way so that there is no confusion. If that is what these discreet sellers are meaning then they might want to consider the direct approach as others like myself may not take discreet as meaning gift.

#6 ·
I. So why do people think Paypal cares if you are using it for firearms parts?

As long as it is not an FFL required item they allow you to use their service.
Paypal does care about what you use their service for. copied from their website:
For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.
Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.
Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.
My question is, why keep supporting a company that is anti 2a?

#9 · (Edited)
Not asking about gift payments. I am asking about the term DISCREET used when saying they will accept payment. I do not buy that all of them are using it a meaning gift. But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong :).

I do agree with you about the gift option though and I too do not tend to buy from those that will only accept that type of payment.

#14 ·
I see this a lot on this forum. Sellers accept Paypal but say it as "discreet Paypal payment". When I see that stated I get the impression that the seller thinks that if there is any mention of gun in the payment that Paypal will close their account or something.
Any mention of firearms or ammunition purchases and they will freeze your account along with all available funds.

#16 ·
Any company/organization/corporation/group that doesn't accept my rights guaranteed under the constitution does not get my business and my money.
PayPal can go stuff themselves.

#22 ·
By experience they're less concerned about small parts and magazines than they are about firearms, which they lose their minds over. Usually "discrete" is used with firearms, no fee/gift means the buyer pays the 3.5%(?) that paypal skims off the top, if not using a "gift" option.

#25 ·
There no longer is a gift option. It is now called Family and Friends. Also, if you have the money in your PayPal account, there is no cost to you to use the option.

The problem as noted above, you do not have much recourse if the transaction goes bad when using the F&F option.

#30 ·
Discreet is a warning sign to me. I have walked away from purchases over a last minute, "please purchase item discreetly please"

#32 ·
Again guys, this question is about the sellers on this forum that use the term discreet. Not about Paypal's beliefs or rules.

What are the sellers meaning by discreet?

Many in this thread are saying that they are referring to gift payment type. I never considered that but I have gone and looked thru many FS threads that state gift and am seeing enough evidence to agree with that.

#35 · (Edited)
I assumed it meant do not mention in the payment description anything that could be construed by PayPal that the money was used to purchase a firearm which violates the terms of service.
I have always taken it to mean, DO NOT LIST THE ITEM YOU ARE PURCHASING, As in it's a gun from gunbroker auction # blah blah. Paypal CAN AND WILL freeze your funds and you will have to fight to get your money from them, if ever.

Personally I am bout ready to close my account, as I am tired of them and their anti gun bull****.

if they were smart, they would allow firearms purchases and related items as they would be making a **** ton more money than they do now.

best
Jordan
I too have always thought they meant don't mention that it is a gun part which is why I laugh and scratch my head.

I buy gun parts all the time using paypal with the parts clearly listed in the description. Barrels, gas blocks, magazines, mag catch, muzzle breaks etc etc. You can use paypal to pay for a 1911 slide if you want to. It can say the caliber and the model of the gun and even the words pistol, gun, rifle in the description. All the AR parts that I have used Paypal for state 223 or 556 or AR or all three for that matter.

Here is an example from one of my Paypal payments. This is from the details page on the Paypal website.

Here is an example of EGW's name on Paypal clearly showing the word GUN in it.

#34 ·
I have always taken it to mean, DO NOT LIST THE ITEM YOU ARE PURCHASING, As in it's a gun from gunbroker auction # blah blah. Paypal CAN AND WILL freeze your funds and you will have to fight to get your money from them, if ever.

Personally I am bout ready to close my account, as I am tired of them and their anti gun bull****.

if they were smart, they would allow firearms purchases and related items as they would be making a **** ton more money than they do now.

best
Jordan

#37 ·
And yet you can renew your NRA membership with PayPal, right on the NRA web site - which begs the questions......

Why would the NRA do business with a company that is Anti 2nd Amendment?

Why would PayPal allow the NRA to use their service to support a Pro Gun agenda if they are truly Anit Gun???

#39 ·
NRA will gladly take any money from anywhere. They have no morals and are greedy.
oh my....

it's funny to me that my friend won't use ebay or PP because they're anti

But cheerfully extolls the virtues of Amazon and Mircosoft

Amazon's policy is no different than PP or ebay's
and Bill Gates (Mr Microsoft) actually contributes large sums of money to anti gun agendas

when i point that out to him, I get the "deer in the headlights" look

.L.T.A.

#40 ·
Assuming it's an attempt to dodge fees for a purchase, discrete Paypal means don't buy from this guy, to me at least. If it just means don't mention gun stuff because I don't trust Paypal to change their terms again someday and freeze the cash of mine they are holding, then to me it means common sense in that case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.