1911Forum banner

About self-defense shooting insurance...

4K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  tgt_usa 
#1 · (Edited)
I apologize to the moderators if this is the wrong spot for this thread, or if this thread has been covered elsewhere. I couldn't find my answer, so here goes:

I have been a platinum-whatever the top of the line is-member of the USCCA for several years now, but recently I became aware that the NRA also has self-defense shooting insurance.

Can you help me cut through the hype and legalese and make sense of what the advantages and disadvantages of each type are, and also, point out any other sources for similar coverage?

Much obliged, as always,

George

#15 ·
I have Texas Law Shield for the family.
Like most insurance, I hope we never need it.
But it's good to know it's there if we do.
Another Texas Law Shield customer here. They have a nationwide version called US Law Shield: http://www.uslawshield.com

Two former LEOs I've trained with speak very highly of them and have a couple stories of their students using them. The trainers aren't affiliated with them.

#6 ·
I kinda wonder about having this kind of insurance, because to me it makes it seem like you expect to eventually shoot someone. Not sure how a prosecutor would look at the fact that you had purchased special insurance for self-defense purposes.

#9 ·
So clearly you're expecting to have a fire because you have fire insurance. Heck, maybe you're even intending on setting said fire just so you can collect the insurance. That's it! Isn't it!? Why else would you buy insurance? You're an arsonist!

All joking aside, I think you're crazy if this is the reason you don't get this type of insurance. You do everything you can to make sure you are as prepared as you can be in the event that something terrible happens. You do this because even though the risk is incredibly low, what is at stake here...your life and your freedom...cannot be replaced.

Get the insurance so you can have the best legal resources on your side in the event that something bad happens. I'm sure a competent attorney can counter this in a court room if it does come up. Alternatively, you can skip the insurance...and go to jail because you couldn't afford a competent attorney.

#11 · (Edited)
During the NRA convention in Nashville I talked to all the insurance/defense funds that were at the show. I left more confused and with more questions. I think there are some questions you need to address when making the decision as to which company to use.

In most cases you will only need a lawyer to represent you and you will likely not go to court (If its a justified shooting.) However, if you do have to go to court your costs will likely be in the $10,000+ to over a few million dollars. So it seems when choosing legal defense insurance/fund, you need to answer a few questions.

1. How much is max. coverage? (How does it compare to legal cost in your area?)
2. Will defense coverage be paid as they occur or only after you are found innocent? (I was told insurance can't payout until after you are found innocent.)
3. What will you have to pay back if you are found guilty? Does it cover cost of appeals?
4. Is there really some one to answer your call 24/7? If not how long does it take to get back to you?
5. Can they provide you with the name of a defense attorney in your area they know understands gun law and self defense?
6. What if the weapon you chose is not a gun? (stick, knife, baseball bat, etc.)
7. Are you backed by an insurance company and what is their rating for ability to pay out?

I'm sure there are other questions that should be asked, but when I started asking these questions some of the sales agents acted like politicians and said everything but the answer to my question.

#13 ·
The only way that I would go with insurance.

Is if it is set up where it allows me to select my own attorney. And the insurance company reimburses them. A lot of them are set up with their own in house or consulting attorneys. The attorneys that work like this are usually sub par. Two of my brothers are lawyers, and they will support this claim.

An additional note here. If you do decide to go this route, with an outfit that has their own lawyers. You should inquire as to who they are. You can then check them out yourself. Just go to Martindale.com This is an industry rating service. What you want to do is look for the Peer rating. If they are not Peer rated then stay away. Some of them will also have customer ratings. This does not really tell you much. With the Peer rating the best lawyers will be rated A-V. with a B-V being second best and so on. The A,B or C is their effectiveness rating. The V indicates that their have never been any ethics questions raised about their professional behavior. An Absence of the V rating indicates that their may be or has been in the past.

Any lawyer that is not listed in Martindale is either brand new to the industry or there is some other reason. Either way, best to stay away from any not listed. Needless to say an A-V lawyer will generally be very expensive. A B-V less so and so on.

I hope that this helps.

#14 ·
Is if it is set up where it allows me to select my own attorney. And the insurance company reimburses them. A lot of them are set up with their own in house or consulting attorneys. The attorneys that work like this are usually sub par. Two of my brothers are lawyers, and they will support this claim.

An additional note here. If you do decide to go this route, with an outfit that has their own lawyers. You should inquire as to who they are. You can then check them out yourself. Just go to Martindale.com This is an industry rating service. What you want to do is look for the Peer rating. If they are not Peer rated then stay away. Some of them will also have customer ratings. This does not really tell you much. With the Peer rating the best lawyers will be rated A-V. with a B-V being second best and so on. The A,B or C is their effectiveness rating. The V indicates that their have never been any ethics questions raised about their professional behavior. An Absence of the V rating indicates that their may be or has been in the past.

Any lawyer that is not listed in Martindale is either brand new to the industry or there is some other reason. Either way, best to stay away from any not listed. Needless to say an A-V lawyer will generally be very expensive. A B-V less so and so on.

I hope that this helps.
I wasn't aware of this. Good to know!

Thanks

#17 ·
It is quite likely that during the next year we will see obama try to enact liability insurance requirements in order to make ownership more difficult and expensive. In addition to CCW encounters they want to make people liable should "their" gun ever be involved in an incident even if said gun had been stolen from or sold by the prior owner. Will these pre-existing insurance companies/networks suffice for this type of coverage?

#19 ·
I use US law shield. No cap. No hidden fees. Lawyers answer the phone 24/7 and will be local to where I am. They are firearms attorneys. They do nothing but firearms related cases. In fact we like it so much that the company I work for has partnered with them to provide discounts to new members.

#21 · (Edited)
What’s Not Covered

While our services are quite comprehensive, the following are not covered: appeals, expert witness fees, governmental fees of any type, investigator fees, or bail bonds.
Above from the US Law Shield website. http://www.uslawshield.com/protection-for-firearms-owne/

I don't think anyone provides insurance coverage for appeals; but bail bonds, investigator fees, government fees, and expert witness fees are important.

#22 · (Edited)
The Texas version does under 'Optional Coverage', I have it. For $2.95/mo why not?

Bail Bond & Expert Witness Coverage

In addition to bail bond reduction hearing coverage for all members, members that select the bail bond expert witness program protection receive:

Bail Bond fee protection for bail up to $25,000
Expert Witness fee protection
http://www.texaslawshield.com/protection-for-firearms-owners/

#23 ·
Man, am I glad I asked. I've had USCCA for years, and so far I don't hear anyone singing their praises. I have some thinking to do.

Thanks to all who contributed.

G.

#31 ·
I doubt a prosecutor would make much hay about legal insurance.

Your response would be: "YES, I bought insurance. My guns are insured as well, & I have only legal firearms bought from licensed dealers & have obtained all permits required by law.My cars are also insured above the minimum mandatory amount"

It just makes you look responsible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.