1911Forum banner

Anybody bought a Sig P 220 10mm yet?

10K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  JohnnyEgo 
#1 ·
I've seen exactly one of those for sale thus far, and it was priced full boat retail I suspect, plus the shop was in a different state, that would have added more cost.

Anybody here gotten one yet? How do you like it?

#4 ·
There were 2 listed on the local gun trading board. Both were da/sa and both were the same price as retail. Every now and again I think I want one, they just don't make the one I want yet. All stainless, target sights, DA/SA. Maybe when they final produce enough, I will be able to buy a 10mm barrel and recoil spring for my 220 stainless and it would work.

#9 ·
I have been casually watching these...
actually the first model released was a limited run for some Sig-related folks as a SAO in matte stainless, with adjustable rear sight and G10 grips.
The next model was a DA/SA, two-tone/black slide/stainless frame, with standard night sights and G10 grips.
The latest model is a stainless SAO, with adjustable rear sight (though some pics are showing fixed night sights) and red wood grips.
They all appear to be "Elite" styled models with 5" barrels, and black controls.

I have seen the last two models as low as $1050-$1100.

#10 ·
Love mine. Had it for a month or so. Only about 200 rounds in, but no issues so far, other then holster wear. That heavy frame soaks up recoil, making it very comfortable to shoot.

My local shop just started getting the single actions in. Thinking of buying another one and playing mix & match to get the exact configuration I want.

9mm, 10mm, & .45 ACP Sig family:

10mm guns I can compare it to:

Would I carry it? Yes, but it would be my third choice. I shoot the Kimber better, and the Glock has a higher capacity and requires less maintenance, which I appreciate when out in the Rockies.

Would it work as a bed-side gun? Yes, but I prefer the redundancy of an external safety.

So what is it good for? Well, it's a lot of fun to shoot at the range, and has made a great bowling pin gun so far.

#11 ·
Sweet looking selection of 10's you have there JE.

10mm is one of my favorite calibers to shoot. DoubleTap, Underwood, & Buffalo Bore sell the best loads IMO.

The P220 10mm is on my list. I also caught wind on this forum that Sig is releasing a 1911 Tacops model in 10mm.

#12 ·
And now for the Big Question: is this new SIG rated for the thermonuclear loads like Underwood? The Internet has been mysteriously silent on this issue. :scratch:

#21 ·
Is that one of the Gray conversions?

If not did you or someone else do it? If you did it, what did you have to get.

I really want my Elite Match Stainless to have a 10mm barrel if that is all that it really takes.

#17 ·
For ages there has been no middle ground with the 10mm. You have 1911 style ones that are not rated for the "thermonuclear" loads that so many 10mm owners thrive on. Then there are the Glock models that are great.....if you want/like Glock. The old S&W metal guns are rare and there are no parts. Bren Ten = Unobtainium. Perhaps this new SIG offering will finally determine once & for all if a middle ground 10mm can make it. That said, if I were in the market for one I would surely give this one a long hard look. ;)

#20 ·
Pretty much the same way any 1911 compares to any Glock in a comparable caliber.

The Sig comes with an SRT Trigger, and I prefer it's single action mode to Glock's striker fire trigger. That said, it is inadvisable to carry the Sig cocked.

The Glock comes with the Glock finish (Tennifer?) which is very durable. The Sig comes with the Nitron finish, which if my X-5 and Super Match are any indication, will be flaking off any moment now.

Sig makes an 8 round magazine. Nobody that I know of is making alternatives or higher capacity rounds. The Glock holds sixteen if memory serves. When faced with 800lbs of rutting Elk giving me the evil eye over his girl, I'd prefer the extra capacity.

The Sig weighs more. I like that better. Soaks up recoil. I like the ergonomics better. I enjoy shooting it more. I will feel bad when it is scratched up.

I don't particularly like the Glock, so I don't feel particularly bad abusing it. Strap it to me and wade through a stream, get it muddy, dirty, and sweat covered out in the brush, leave it in the trunk of my car for two days, use the side of the slide to hammer in a tent stake, and neither it nor I care.

So I suppose they compare like apples to typewriters.

#37 ·
I think Glock has stopped the Tennifer treatment of it's slide and parts.
I don't know when Glock stopped using Tenifer. I do suspect that they curently use a similar nitrocarbeurizing process...just not the brand name, "Tenifer."

I've never shot a 10mm Sig 220. I have fired a .45ACP 220, and didn't find anything "exciting" about the experience. I didn't like the looooong first trigger pull, nor did I like the higher-than-Glock's bore axis.

Sig makes great firearms, for sure. I guess I'm just used to the ease of maintenance and shooting characteristics of Glocks.

#23 ·
Yeah I know. Do my darnedest to shop local so the stores near me keep their lights on but sometimes that is just not fiscally sound.

For the time being I'm happy with my Glock in 10mm. My purpose for any handgun in that caliber is back country carry, anyplace the predators come bigger/tougher than humans. No point in scuffing up something pretty or expensive.

Mostly I was just curious how the new Sigs were running.

#24 ·
I've been waiting for the new G40 MOS to arrive at local stores.

I bought a G34 MOS this month and am putting a red dot on it this weekend. Was planning on setting the G40 up the same way.

I had no idea that Sig was getting into the 10mm game. Sounds great. The P220 grip always fit my hand really well.

#32 ·
The variant of 220 I have is not single action. It's traditional DA/SA, like most Sigs. It would be particularly poor judgement to carry it cocked.
--
Having said that, Sig does make a single action only version of the 10mm 220 that I may well buy. I have a Super Match in .45 that is SAO. I was able to swap the slide assemblies and locking lugs between the two, and they both fed and functioned fine. I have no reason to believe the SAO version of the 220 10mm is any less safe with the safety engaged then any other firearm.
--
If true that Glock has abandoned the Tennifer finishing process, then they have abandoned one of the few features I truly liked about the Glock. My G20 is a Gen III model. I haven't really kept up to date with what Glock has been up to of late, but I do have an order in for a G40, so I suppose I will find out soon enough.

#42 ·
--
Having said that, Sig does make a single action only version of the 10mm 220 that I may well buy. I have a Super Match in .45 that is SAO. I was able to swap the slide assemblies and locking lugs between the two, and they both fed and functioned fine. I have no reason to believe the SAO version of the 220 10mm is any less safe with the safety engaged then any other firearm.
--
Just to make sure I read this right, your upper on the .45 P220 operates just fine on the 10mm frame, right? Something I've wanted to do is buy a cheap .45 P220 and use the lower of the 10mm to maximize my pleasure in between my cases of 10mm ammo.

#40 · (Edited)
BruceD _ It is an IMPORTANT question if you would never buy any gun with MIM parts, which is why I collect Ed Brown's pistols.
It maybe beating a dead horse but there are people who will but buy pistols without forged internals and that is one reason Dan Wesson pistols are so popular (all forged).

Sure Kimber is very popular with some people but not with others because it is loaded with MIM parts.

#41 · (Edited)
It maybe beating a dead horse but there are people who will but buy pistols without forged internals and that is one reason Dan Wesson pistols are so popular (all forged).
My experience is that people tend to take one "bit" on information and make across the board judgements and statements based on it. Incidentally, Dan Wesson's new 'Heritage" line of 1911s are built using MIM components in appropriate locations. THE FACT is that MIM is here to stay because, when done correctly, it is the most economical way to produce very high quality precision parts for certain applications. I've come to accept as fact that some people will never accept this because MIM isn't the way it was done in 1911 but, then again, the flush toilet will never work, uni-body automobile construction and investment castings in firearms are both inevitably doomed to fail.

;):)

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.