1911Forum banner

Whoo Hoo! I'm a Glock Armorer now!

2K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  WalterGC 
#1 ·
Went to the Glock Armorers course today!

I am now fully qualified to build 1911's and polish your Wilson triggers! My dremel tool is spinning up to 55,000 rpm and my bench grinders are ready for use!

Ok, ok, I don't think so. But it was a good class and I can now make a Glock dishwasher safe! :)

#6 ·
Good on ya! I took the course several years ago and I learned in 8 hours what I can do in less than 5 minutes. Never understood why you have to take it every three years. They don't change that much over time. I guess it is just for the money.

#11 ·
Went to my first Glock Armorer's Class back in I think the late 1980's. Was one of my department's armorers till I retired this past April.
Not much has changed. I've never had to fit a part when one had to be replaced. If I recall correctly, there is (or was) an advanced armorer's class where "fitting" is taught. In my experience, you can pretty much disassemble 10 Glock pistols (same model, of course), throw the parts into a bucket, stir it around, and then reach in, grab one part at a time, and build 10 pistols.

#13 ·
Class was $250 plus $30 to join the GSSF. It was a good class, for $100... I didn't know you are supposed to go every three years. LOL. Maybe for a LE dept. I think most of the guys were getting paid by their dept or were gun store employees going free.

In the adv class they apparently have about thirty guns with different issues to troubleshoot and fix.

I took it mainly for my own knowledge - plus I'm playing with building a competition red dot Glock with all the trigger upgrades and... well... the trigger assmbly is about all you can mess with. LOL. :)

As for polishing - that came up. The Glock rep as expected said "do not touch" it will self polish in time. Which is true. You could help it along with a little HAND polishing, but a little too much or change the angle and you may have a gun that goes full auto or doesn't fire.

I think 1911's are more fun to take apart. :)

#23 ·
Ok. I about choked when I saw your pictures. Funniest thread on here in a while.

It is good to get anything you can when you can. Congrats.

#27 ·
The class is definately a LOT better than youtube. Especially points like why you remove the trigger pin (all pins) left to right. (The grove holds the slide release lever - if you go r to l you have two groves to deal with.). Also why people bash the pin out with their "Glock Rock" when all you need to do is wiggle the lever.

I'm glad I went, but unless you "need" the certificate (I teach firearm/ccw classes and wanted the legitamacy) videos and forum knowledge is probably adequate, especially for someone with some precision skills. My dad was a precision instrument builder/designer (like for the Apollo program) so I learned how to use the tools and deal with small parts when I was young.

#29 · (Edited)
Geeze, the only thing my (1/2 day LEO) Glock class got to keep was the "multi-tool." It has a punch on one end and a hex driver for the front sight on the other.

What did you use the "potatoe" for?

All the best,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.