1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compensators. Practical or just cool

29K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  NavyVet1959 
#1 ·
I'll be honest I am no stranger to compensating for something, but being a new 1911 owner, I was looking at some cool accessories and saw these compensators. I have an colt officers model and extended the magwell due to I'm 6'8" and hands don't fit great on a compact and thought a compensator might make up for the look of a longer handle. I do not compete and do not plan on competing I only shoot 1-2 times monthly and carry for work. So is a compensator actual practical or just cool looking.
Second question. I LOVE ghost ring sights. I am not great with standard open sights. Do 1911s have aftermarket ghost ring sights and are they hard to put on. Thanks guys.

#34 ·
Well, if you have a .45 ACP and you are wanting to put a compensator on it, you might as well go ahead and do a .460 Rowland conversion on it. :)

I did it on a Glock, but stayed with a .45 ACP chambered barrel and just load to .460 Rowland pressures (preferably in .45 SUPER brass). I call it my ".45 SUPER +P+" conversion. The only problem that I have with it is probably due to my choice for compensator and barrel length. It works well, but it can catch on many holsters, so it would not be appropriate for concealed carry.

#42 · (Edited)
I do a lot of business with LWD, but I believe a close look at their compensator will reveal that it contains no baffles, and, ergo, no chambers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
It appears to just be a block of metal that they bore a hole down the center for the bullet to go through and then use a milling machine to slice some angled round bottom on each side that intersect the main bore. Of course, there some holes on the top and threading on the end.

Now, if you look at the factory Glock compensated barrels, you will see that they have no chambers. They are just a couple of slots cut midl-ength in the barrel.

#45 ·
It appears to just be a block of metal that they bore a hole down the center for the bullet to go through and then use a milling machine to slice some angled round bottom on each side that intersect the main bore. Of course, there some holes on the top and threading on the end.

Now, if you look at the factory Glock compensated barrels, you will see that they have no chambers. They are just a couple of slots cut midl-ength in the barrel.

I know that Glock calls them "C" barrels, but they're not compensated; they're ported...kind of like Magnaporting.

The pic posted of the LWD comp confirms my suspicions. No baffles; no chambers. Not a spiffy design, in my humble opinion. I like their threaded barrels, but would buy the compensator elsewhere.

#37 ·
"Bushing comps are kind of like putting a wing on the rear of a front wheel drive Honda - because it looks cool." Haha! I have friends in Miami that do that 1 mile top speed race and have seen a few Mitsubishi Evos that had the wing break off because too much speed! But yeah, bushing comps are cool looking...that's all.

Reactions: aguns
#39 ·
The only reason that I have one on my G21 is that it is required by the creator of the .460 Rowland cartridge and even though I chose not to chamber it for the .460 Rowland brass, I'm shooting at .460 Rowland power levels. For a normal power level .45ACP, I don't see a particular need for one.

#40 ·
Comps on a carry gun.....

I have a custom built 1911 carry compensated gun in .38 super caliber. It uses a single port expansion chamber, and does a very good job of reducing muzzle flip and felt recoil with +P+ .38 super loads...... Having less muzzle rise allows faster shots since you get back on target faster..... The only gun I can shoot faster is my Open Division .38 super race gun. My carry comp gun uses a Commander length slide, and a threaded barrel with the comp. The overall length is slightly less than a 5" 1911.

Anyone that has ever shot a comp knows that the powder you use makes a big difference in the amount of muzzle flash and how well it burns.....a powder that burns all the powder flakes and burns clean is desirable. Otherwise, shooting from an arm retention position can cause unburned powder to splatter your upper body...... Another option concerning the arm retention position is to cant the gun sideways.....however, that requires training so it becomes a reflex.

I have shot my .38 super from the arm retention position, and it is not uncomfortable. Yes, you may feel the gas pressure, but it is not an issue with my reloads.....I make all my own self defense ammo.

Attachments

#44 ·
.45acp Comps

I shot a Wilson Premier 5" 1911 with his coned bushing barrel and comp in IPSC for 8 years (until the high-cap 38 supers put an end to the big bore pistol).

I can assure you that with 185 and 200 gr major loads the comp made a big difference in all things recoil related.

#46 · (Edited)
Are compensators practical on a carry gun...?

Are they necessarily that great on a carry gun? Not really.
It depends on the caliber, the gun, and the ammo...... I know I put a lot of thought and effort when making my 5" single port expansion chamber compensated carry gun, and it is very effective using +P+ .38 super handloads. The fact that it reduces felt recoil and muzzle flip makes the gun easier to shoot and faster to shoot.

In any of the action shooting games, the ability to deliver fast and accurate shots is an advantage.....which is why USPSA Open guns use compensators.

Action shooting sports are gun games......real life shoot outs are life and death situations and the loser ends up with a toe tag. As far as I am concerned, any conceivable and practical way to make a gun shoot faster and allows me to shoot more accurately is to my advantage should I ever get into a life and death shoot out.......

IDPA does not allow guns with compensators.....one reason is because it is a competitive advantage! I want every advantage I can muster in a gun fight,
and hope I never have to get in a gun fight!:rock: I will not carry a .380 pistol for self defense since it is not an advantage in a gun fight.....yet many people carry a small .380 for self defense because it is easy to conceal, comfortable, and easy to shoot.....often times their rationale for carrying a .380 is "it's better than not carrying any weapon at all" which may not be the best rationale when your life is on the line!

Listen to the man. He's a USPSA Grand Master in Open division.
I respect the skill of a Grand Master USPSA shooter, but that doesn't make him an expert in everything involved in making a gun shoot fast and accurately.....it is his opinion. I may listen to opinions, but I am more focused on results. My carry comp gun works for me, and I can shoot faster and more accurately with my hot loaded .38 super..... And yes, I started shooting USPSA when the gun of choice was still the 1911 .45! I followed the equipment race and moved up the ranks as well......so I do have some shooting skills! I am not a GM, but I have finished in the overall results of the top ten shooters at USPSA Area Matches......

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.