1911Forum banner

11 year old NYC kid arrested for toy gun

4K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  zanthor 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The same thing would happen at most middle schools in the US these days. Guns, pellet/bb guns and facsimiles are prohibited. Period. Zero tolerance and all that. Been that way for years.

In my school district, they'd have sent him off for a nine-week stint in a "behavioral program" school for a first offense.

Robert

Robert

#4 ·
Yes when I was in school the boys would bring pocket knife to school and on recess would play mumbly peg or chicken. Rules were only throwing into the groung if caught elsewise then knife was taken and could not play for one week. Today the jails would be full of us hardened criminals!
RB

#5 ·
When I was in high school (town near Buffalo, NY), my math teacher, whom had sold his last .22 revolver, sold me a brick of Federal .22 LR in the school's teacher's parking lot one Friday afternoon. He full well knew and indeed, rounds went in the car and were at my Grandsmother's camp 3 hours away in the country before the sun set. Today we'd both be arrested and he'd have been fired.

#6 ·
When I lived in Arkansas (sixth and seventh grade, early 1980s) I had my pocket knife taken because it was "sinister" looking. All the boys had Buck knives and I had a faux switch blade (it was a piece of junk really).

Two years later in California my best friend (still) got suspended for a week for a less than two inch long Buck knife. I was smart enough to keep my Swiss Army Knife in my pocket (carried it everywhere from 1983 to March 2002 when I had my first post-9/11 flight).

Last year I had a student expelled for having a knife fall out of his back pack. His father gave it to him as he approached airport security (deployed), and he forgot it. His mother was mad at him for forgetting to take it out of his bag because, "he knew the rules."

#7 ·
Friend of mine used to take his single shot shotgun on the schoolbus to school, give it to the teacher who would store it in the closet. He would retrive it from her at the end of the school day and squirrel hunt his way home through the woods to his house. As Jeff Cooper said, "The past is another country. They do things differently there."

#8 ·
Last year my son was Robert E Lee in his 8th grade Night of The Notables where at school the kids dress and do a oral biography of their person of interest. We made a sword out of 1/4 inch plywood and inverted a plastic bowl for the guard. Painted the blade silver and the rest brown. Didn't think of it till the day of the event that maybe he'd not be allowed to have the sword. I was nervous but the event went without a hitch. R.E.Lee without a horse is Ok but no sword? Preposterous. We'd probably have had a problem if we'd asked permission first.

#9 ·
To tell you the truth.

I am a little surprised that they allowed "Robert E. Lee" to even show up at the event.

#10 ·
Yeah we are lucky to have a good school system. All 8th grade kids were assigned a 'Notable'. Ranging from Plato and Socrates to Barry n Michelle. My kid was lucky enough to be assigned a true Notable :)

#15 ·
Carbon Bigfoot what in heck is on the list? 48 instruments of "death"? Is it the weapons ban list, a nuke and a pencil or something more ridiculous.

#19 ·
try living with the gun laws in Ireland:confused:.....they were the most restrictive in the world......NO PISTOLS, NO CALIBRE OVER .22 SWIFT and usualy took 3 months to 3 years to get a very restrictive license.....we now have pistols max calibre.22 but can get rifles up to 308:)......we still cant reload and cant store much ammo and definitley no EBR stuff.....ie anything military looking....although i have an application in for an AR15 .223 semi.....gonna cost me alot in solicitors fees before i get it:bawling:

#22 ·
It was a "a black plastic prop given to him by an after-school theater company". I'm sure the city streets are much safer after removing this vile device and punishing the Child.:biglaugh:

#23 ·
I Just found out that my sons high school will be forming a school sponserd Trap and Skeet team. All weapons will be stored at the Local Sheriffs Office after practice and meets. The superintendint is an avid hunter and approved this. At least it is a step in the right direction. Truman

#25 ·
Guess im lucky im only 25. We had all the same weapons rules as other schools. But here in rural GA we were allowed to have knives in our back packs as long as it didnt come out. Later in high school we would keep our deer rifle or shot gun in our truck again as long as it doesnt come out. Allowed to chew tobacco in class. Really not sure if its changed now.

#27 ·
A friends daughter just got 3 days of in school suspension (reduced from 1 week out of school after she cried) for 'stabbing' a friend with a fork. No one was harmed, there was no force behind the stab, and both stabber and stabbee were laughing because it was just a joke between them.

She got a firm talking to about how violence was absolutely not acceptable and 3 days suspension.

On her 2nd day of suspension, she picked up about 20 forks in the lunch line and carried them back to her penalty area... this did not go over well!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.