1911Forum banner

Is it live or is it Memorex?

887 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  iftoc 
#1 · (Edited)
Could someone please clear up my confusion?

I want to know the Browning Hi Power currently in production that is considered the authentic original Hi Power John Browning produced in Belgium.

For instance there's the MK3s Hi-Power listed on the FN Herstal website:

and then there's the Hi-Power Mark III listed on the Browning website :

Are these the same guns?

See less See more
#4 ·
Hello. No, the Hi Power originally did not have the internal firing pin safety. As far as I know this did not start until latter production Mk II pistols; at least that's the first time I saw it. Technically, what we refer to as the "Mk III" is actually the Mk IIIs. Mk III's imported into the US are the "s" version. The Mk III w/o the internal firing pin safety has been sold in other parts of the world.
I would prefer not having the internal firing pin safety, but the way it was done is by adding a "paddle" at the rear of the sear lever and adding one spring. The guts were not complicated by all that much at all. The cutout in the slide so that the paddle can block the firing pin cannot be "good" for the strength of the slide and a few folks have reported cracking. That said, such reports have been relatively few. I've shot 3 Mk IIIs 9mm pistols pretty heavily over the years with no problems. The "classic" Hi Powers had humped feed ramps while the Mk III's don't. As a result the latter will feed about any JHP reliably. The original guns had forged frames while only the early Mk III pistols do. Current frames are cast. Ejection port shape is different as are the thumb safeties and sights.

If interested, there's more information at the link below:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/DifferenceMkIIandMkIII.htm

Though it refers to the Mk II and Mk III, there's discussion and pictures on the safety thing and other areas.

Best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.