1911Forum banner

FN Tactical .45

15K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  loki*hunter 
#1 ·
I took the newly purchased FN Tactical to the Range today. This FN Tactical & Target pistols are unique, as the slide is pre-machined for the Trijicon combat, very tiny red dot sight. The red dot fits into a milled out depression on the slide. My ultimate goal is to outfit it with the Trijicon RMO7 6.6 MOA Red Dot that will power the "dot" for approx. 4 years, 24 hours a day, on level 4 brightness with the same battery.

I fired 100 rounds ball 230 grain and approx. 50 rounds 230 gr. Gold Dot. The pistol functioned flawless and was a joy. Low recoil and accurate ie at 7 yards 15 rounds through 1.5 inch hole. At 25 yards about 4" inches. I suspect the pistol is much more accurate but I have great difficulty seeing any sights at my age (thus the need for the Trijicon).

The ergos are excellent and the pistol feels great and does not feel bulky at all, nor does it feel heavy (weighs 30 oz. dry). However, it looks both bulky and heavy, the appearance is deceiving. The recoil is low and the pistol returns quickly to firing position. The sights are metal and dove tailed into the receiver. They are also "high" for the use of a suppressor on the threaded barrel. I do not foresee using a silencer and contacted FN about replacing the barrel with a standard barrel. I was told that a standard barrel will not work in the Tactical and they will not be manufacturing optional barrels. The "high" sights also co-witness with the Trijicon and if the unit malfunctions you can still use the iron sights. Or the Trijicon as a "ghost ring" type sight. The pistol comes with 3 dot night sights that are excellent for iron sights.

The magazines are double stack (15 rounds) and are the best mags in function I've seen. The grip on the pistol is not large at all. From feel you would not think it a double stack. The mags seem to "leap" into the mag well, so slick and easy that it's pretty amazing. Much better than anything I own or have fired. All the controls are located well and operate exceptionally easy. One thing I really appreciated was the exceptional ease it took to rack the slide. The rear sight is a "shield man" type that can be used to rack the slide on most any "edge" available. Putting the 15th round in the mag required I use the LuLa loader - just too stiff for my fingers.

The pistol can be carried cocked & locked ala 1911. Or double action trigger on the first round and much lighter on the following rounds ala Sig. The double action trigger was stiffer than I like. But smooth,usable and something I suspect I would adjust to fairly quickly. There is a de-cocker built into the manual ambi safety. Up is safe, middle is fire, down is de-cock. Works very well but I do not like that. For in a stressful situation it might be too easy to pass through the middle "fire" point and go all the way down to de-cock. I suspect I'll carry it in the "fire" position and double action for the first round. Or you could "cock" the piece for the first round.

Overall, as you can probably tell - I really like this pistol. I like the trigger, the ease of racking, the accuracy, the low recoil, and the 16 round capacity.
That's a lot of .45 ammo in a 30 oz. pistol. I'm in a quandary as I have 3 custom 1911's, 3 Glocks, and a Beretta. I sold off the S&W MP .357 as I simply have too many pistols. The quandary is I should sell/trade off a couple of these but really like them all.

See less See more
#4 ·
Fn

I REALLY like this pistol. Can't say enough about it. I forgot to say anything about the trigger. The trigger is absolutely the best trigger I've felt on a plastic gun. It's a very good trigger, light, smooth, and easy to anticipate. I also have an FN AR rifle and it is really good also. As good as my Daniels Defense AR. Seems FN really has their act together.

The FN Tactical .45 is probably the best "total package" I own for function (anything but concealment). And it's up against some world class pistols. I own a Les Baer Monolith Heavy, Springfield Professional, Custom 10X in 1911 pistols. Actually I'm awed at just how good this whole pistol is. The only thing missing is aesthetics and "pride of ownership". Nothing is quite like a finely crafted, all steel 1911. For pure function though the FN is a darn near a ten out of ten.

#7 ·
Although not quite apples to apples, awhile back I got to run through several clips of ammo on the FN Five Seven and thought it was an awesome pistol. If I were in a line of work that might put in a situation where I was going to be in a gunfight, that Five Seven would get a serious look see.

#8 ·
There is a de-cocker built into the manual ambi safety. Up is safe, middle is fire, down is de-cock. Works very well but I do not like that. For in a stressful situation it might be too easy to pass through the middle "fire" point and go all the way down to de-cock. I suspect I'll carry it in the "fire" position and double action for the first round. Or you could "cock" the piece for the first round.
mes228,

Congrats on the FN .45 tactical.........I too have one, and only have 500 rounds through it to date. I was also worried about sweeping the safety past 'fire', and into decock mode, but found that my right hand (right handed shooter) prevents this from happening......as much as I tried to force it. The ambi safety/decocker lever contacts the base knuckle on my shooting hand index finger, and will not go down to the decock position, unless I release my grip........this is a good thing.

I have a Leupold DeltaPoint installed on mine, and love the combo. That Trijicon is an excellent choice.

My only problem with my Tactical, is that the trigger hurts the pad of my trigger finger. I don't have this problem with any other handgun I have. I have heard the term 'trigger slap' used in reference to what I think is happening with me, and the FN .45 tactical. All I know is, it has a tendency to limit my range sessions with this gun. That's a shame, as in every other respect, I find this an enjoyable, easy to shoot handgun

#9 ·
Fn

The story of the FN Tactical has not continued well. The pistol revealed a failure to feed problem of 1% to 4-5%. No matter what ammo used. I fired 800 rounds hoping it would become more reliable. To no avail. I shipped it back to FN (on my dime, they absolutely refused to provide a label). I believe it to be a magazine problem, however all 3 mags were subject to FTF. Hope FN can sort it out as I like the pistol. But I do not tolerate, nor keep, picky pistols that run erratically.

#11 ·
The story of the FN Tactical has not continued well. The pistol revealed a failure to feed problem of 1% to 4-5%. No matter what ammo used. I fired 800 rounds hoping it would become more reliable. To no avail. I shipped it back to FN (on my dime, they absolutely refused to provide a label). I believe it to be a magazine problem, however all 3 mags were subject to FTF. Hope FN can sort it out as I like the pistol. But I do not tolerate, nor keep, picky pistols that run erratically.
I don't have one, but I recall from other forums there was a problem with the magazines. You should call FN and make sure you have the latest magazines.

#12 ·
Not sure if I was reading a review or an advertisement for the pistol. :rofl:

It seems like you are as impressed as I am with this item.

The first thing I did with mine is to swap our for the largest back strap. Never bothered trying out the others.
Only used my reloads with are mild and had a few issues but after about 30 rounds it ran almost perfect. A good cleaning, some oil and a few more rounds and it should function flawlessly with my mild loads.

The accuracy and ergonomics is outstanding. Tried using a red dot on my second range visit but didn't seem to do as well as with iron sights. Maybe the red dot takes some getting used to. May remove it and stick with the iron.

BTW, I strongly suggest keeping the threaded barrel. If you have a chance to try a suppressor you will be even more amazed with this item.

#13 ·
Fn

I really liked the FN Tactical and fired 800 rounds hoping it would "break in". It simply was not reliable enough for me to keep. A 1% - 5% failure to feed rate is unacceptable to me. Hopefully FN can fix it. They've had it a couple of weeks and I haven't heard anything. I'll post when I receive it back.

#14 ·
Feeding Issues with the FNP-45 Tactical

I recently purchased an FNP-45 Tactical, and immediately took it to the range. I have several 1911 .45's, including Wilsons and carried the Springfield Pro as a duty weapon. I have grown accustomed to them feeding just about everything I ran through them, so I took reloaded ammunition, SWC 200 grain lead bullets, that I had loaded for routine practice. After a few rounds, just about every other round failed to properly feed. After about 25 rounds I was so frustrated, that I ended the session. The group at 7 yards, was amazing, relative to accuracy. One hole, with no rest, two hand grip. Went back to the range the next day and fired a fifty round box each of Sellier & Bellot and CCI Blazer, 230 grain RN, new factory full load, with not a single feeding problem. Same accuracy, one hole at 7 yards, center mass and one hole head shots, using one box for each area. An incredible weapon, using the correct ammunition. I haven't tried 230 gr RN reloads, but will.

#15 ·
Fn

It could be that only a few jam, and those few get a lot of ink on the web. I like the pistol a lot. However, I expect it to run like my Glock's, H&K's etc which are 100% pistols (actually even my keeper 1911's are 100% pistols). I just spoke with FN Service Dept. a few minuets ago and was told it would take about another two weeks. They could say nothing specific about the pistol but said 4-5 weeks is the normal wait times for service.

#17 ·
What was the resolution fro FNH?

It could be that only a few jam, and those few get a lot of ink on the web. I like the pistol a lot. However, I expect it to run like my Glock's, H&K's etc which are 100% pistols (actually even my keeper 1911's are 100% pistols). I just spoke with FN Service Dept. a few minuets ago and was told it would take about another two weeks. They could say nothing specific about the pistol but said 4-5 weeks is the normal wait times for service.
I know that this is an old thread but wanted to see what the end result was with FNH?

Any insight would be appreciated.

#16 ·
Similar FTF Issues

I purchased the FNP 45 TAC about a year ago. I choose over the Sig 226 Tac OPS. I like th weapon. I like having a co-witness red-dot. I like having 15 in the mag. I don't plan on carrying any extras in a home defense situation - One hand on pistol and one hand (and eye) on getting the family to safety.... then out comes the 12g in a defensive hold position.

I did have similar problems out of the box. One, the pistol shot consistently to the left. To ensure it wasn't a result of poor trigger control (as many suggested) I verified the POA=POI with a bore sight and sure enough the sights were off (fairly significantly). I was able to tap the sight over, but had to move it a good bit to get the pistol correctly sighted in. The problem is fixed; however, I do find myself having to adjust my sight index slightly given the severity of the adjustment. Not sure if it’s worth sending to FNH for a look.... any others have a similar problem that was addressed by FNH.

Two, I had quite a few FTF in the beginning (a concerning 7% failure rate) - primarily with cheaper Winchester White Box and/or Remington UMC. I had a few using 230g +P, but none with the 185g +P Golden Saber. This made me a bit more comfortable as the intended use for this pistol is a first line HD weapon. It must, I repeat, must go BANG if the situation ever was to present itself.

I will say that over time (2500 rounds down range) the FTF rate has lessened. For cost reasons, I have stuck with the white box or federal, but use any FTF as opportunities to practice the 'slap and rack' drill. The only problem here is that obviously in the range, I can't do that while take evasive actions/movements. I try to keep the feet moving and/or crouch, but gotta admit, feel pretty silly doing it at the range. :rofl:

#19 ·
Really surprised you are having difficulties with the FNP Tac! I have well over 1000 rds through mine with 0% failures?!? Even 100% gtg with my Gemtech Blackside suppressor. Would be interested to hear what's the issue. Just picked up my SIG Scorpion today; my reason for joining this forum. :p

#20 ·
Fn

I'm really getting sick of this FN fiasco. After 800 rounds discovering the FN would not run reliably enough to suit me ie 1%-3% failure rate with any ammo_On October 25 I over nighted the pistol back on my dime - FN absolutely would not supply a label under any circumstance. After a few weeks with a Service Tech, they passed the pistol up to the Service Manager. I assume the Tech couldn't figure out the erratic nature of the miss feeds.

Now I'm told that the Service Mgr. is the most knowledgeable person on earth on the FN Tactical and the pistol will be absolutely a 100% pistol. IF I EVER GET THE DARN THING BACK!!!!. I'm told now that it will be middle to late December. I suggested they just replace the pistol. FN did not rule that out but they are just "not there yet". Well I am "there"!! I've bought the pistol and a RMR Trijicon Red Dot. The Trijicon is sitting in the safe to put on the pistol. I've spent darn near $2000 for the package and over $300 in ammo to prove the thing won't run.

I've owned over a hundred pistols and not all have been perfect. Off hand I remember sending back a S&W, Beretta, Taurus, and a Springfield. All were repaired rather quickly. Some by the Custom Shop in as little as 3 days and sent over night back to me. This is absurd for FN's top of the line pistol. FN , thus far is proving worse than Taurus. Taurus replaced a 1911 that bulged cases in about two weeks. Sad really. I like my FN rifles and respect their expertise in pistols. They have built some great hand guns in the past. I have no explanation as to why they cannot fix my Tactical .45 and at least give me a firm date. FN has been cooperative, kindly, and assuring on the telephone. Also given many excuses ie bad ammo etc. Thus far it's only words and no positive actions I see. I'll post more if anything changes.

#21 ·
How does the pistol compare to the HK45?

#22 ·
You will get varying responses with this question. Just like plenty of people love the FNP Tactical, you have others who aren't happy with it.

I purchased a HK 45 a while back and sold it a week or so later. At 35 yards I would get 1 out of 10 shots on a paper plate size target. With the FNP Tactical, I get 10 of out 10.

I am sure some one out there will have the inverse results.
Best to find someone with these items and try them out yourself.

#23 ·
Fn

I have the H&K SD (Tactical Model, threaded barrel, Jet Funnel, Tactical Light by H&K, 9mm) and the FN Tactical 45. Both are great guns. The H&K has been getting a lot of range time. This is the 4th H&K I've owned and I like it much better than the prior 3. This one really is a good pistol.

I would prefer the FN - if FN can make it a 100% pistol. Nothing has the capacity in .45, nothing comes ready to install a Trijicon RMR Red Dot (weighs about 1/2 oz.) that co-witnesses with the iron sights (4 year battery life on the RMR leaving it on 24 hours a day seven days a week). Very accurate, low recoil, good trigger, good ergos, great mags. But all useless if the darn thing won't feed 100%. And mine would not. Apparently most all do. I had the misfortune to get a rare one. Hopefully FN can fix/replace it. Truthfully though after you have problems, shipping hassels, delayed repair, weeks and weeks of waiting, it takes the fun out of it. Kinda sours you on the whole deal.

#24 ·
Ya know mes, I think I'd call customer (no) service and try again. If they stick to their story like they have so far, I think I'd start going up the food chain. This is way, way too long for you to have to wait for them to fix their mistakes.

I love my FN 45, it feeds my 255 grain Keiths perfectly. But I would not be a happy camper in your shoes.

Just remember, he who remains calm usually wins! Good luck.

Cat

#25 ·
I recently just purchased a FNP45 Tactical. The one time I have shot it I had a few problems with WWB ammo, but I suspect this was due to the ammo being underpowered as everything else else worked perfectly. I got mine slightly used for $875 shipped off another forum, and for the price it is a hell of a pistol.

#26 ·
Fn

I too bad mouthed WWB and have posted comments. FN told me that WWB had a run that was out of spec in length, case dimensions, even the powder. And I posted such on the web. I apologize to WWB as EVERY brand of ammo I tried had a 1% to 3% or even more FTF with the FN. Every other pistol I own runs WWB fine and I buy a lot at the local Walmart (both .45 & 9mm). I also buy the cheap Federal when it's in stock. All my pistols eat WWB like candy....... except the FN Tactical. So I think it's BS from FN and it's a pistol problem or a mag problem. However, all 3 mags with the pistol had the problem.

#27 ·
Eat crow, repent and apologize

I do all of the above! I've been upset and very hard on FN for the problems I've had with the FN Tactical. Erratic FTF and long repair time. Well I finally got it back today from FN. I couldn't wait so I mounted the Trijicon RMR, bought 200 rounds of WWB, Federal, Remington 230 hard ball and hit the range.

I have no idea what FN did to repair the pistol, no obvious signs I can see. Even the same mags as I marked them when I had jams. THIS PISTOL RAN PERFECTLY TODAY. I fired 100 rds Federal, 50 rounds Remington, 50 rounds Winchester WB. All functioned 100%. Everything ie trigger etc. slick as can be too!!!

THE ACCURACY IS SIMPLY ASTOUNDING!! At the indoor range, resting across the lane shelf on a piece of foam and sitting in a folding chair. This pistol fired 15 round strings at 25 yards into one hole you could almost cover with a silver dollar. Not once, but several strings just as good!! At 8 yards you can shoot 15 round groups the size of a quarter as long as you care too!! And the RMR is easy to see for these tired old eyes. All this with both eyes open, no tilting the head to see with bifocals, or blurry sights.

Off hand shooting was a pleasure too. Not as accurate but still amazing to me. Shooting as fast as I could acquire the dot, way less than a second per round I'd guess. I fired several 15 round strings at 8 yards into about 2 1/2 inch group rapid fire. Nothing I've fired approaches this accuracy. I'm sure I have as accurate .45 pistols. But the accuracy just could not be used by me.
I really like this combo. BOTTOM LINE IS I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE TO FN AND WISH I'D KEPT MY FRUSTRATION TO MYSELF. Thank you for a job well done.

#29 ·
FNTactical

Just an update on the FN Tactical. Almost 500 rounds and not one hang up or burp of any kind. Today I fired 150 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of Remington. Not only has it functioned perfectly and has done so without any cleaning!! I did lube at the beginning of the session today with a squirt of RemOil on the rails and the barrel. I LOVE THIS PISTOL AND TRIJICON SET UP. This does everything ANYONE could ask for a pistol to do.

Does anyone have any ideas what FN "repairs" to make these things uber reliable? I can see nothing that was corrected. Obviously FN did something and it borders on miraculous. Whatever their magic was, it worked!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.