1911Forum banner

soldier returns to forum

2K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  MEH92 
#1 ·
It’s nice to see the ole 1911 forum still goin strong. I was a regular poster on these hallowed pages till I decided to join the Army last year. I last visited here back in July ‘04 but I had a little trouble getting online during basic training. I’ve been stationed here at Ft. Campbell for about 6 months now and I’ve just now gotten myself some reliable internet access so I hope to visit as much as possible again. I haven’t fired my S&W 1911 regularly since I joined but I’ll be bringing it here next weekend so I’m looking forward to many rounds downrange in the upcoming weeks.

Lately, I’ve gotten a lot of trigger time on the ole M4. Last month we spent 3 weeks at Ft. Polk, LA for JRTC but being a mortar, I didn’t fire many (blank) rounds. We qualify this upcoming Thursday so I’m pretty excited about that. We always hit the ranges pretty hard around qualification time. Any other forum regulars here at Campbell? I've heard they just opened range 16 (I think) for use on the weekends and I'd love to meet some other forum members there. Anyway I just wanted to say hello again and post some pictures since I know everyone loves pictures.

my section training on the 60s

this pic shows the PAS 13 above my M4 for a size comparison. The PAS 13 is our thermal imager and a pretty neat sight to mount on an M4... for $15000 it better be! My M4 is currently wearing a wilderness tactical Giles sling, an M68 (CompM2) sight and a surefire tac light.

During some of the down time, we took the PVS 14 (Night Optical Device (NODS)) off our helmets and mounted them on our M4s. Between NODS and Thermal sights, it's no wonder we own the night.

Of course what post about the 101st Airborne Division would be complete without a pic of a sling-load operation. AIR ASSAULT!

For plenty more pictures feel free to check my web site out.

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome back and nice pics.

i am a new member here as of a few months and have learned so much since starting into 1911 shooting late last year.

take care out there and a big thanks to you for your service to this country and to those serving with you.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

#3 ·
Jinzoningen,
Glad things are going well for you. Keep us posted on your progress and situation. Good luck with your qualifications, training, and service. Hope it doesn't offend you but "May God bless you and keep you safe during your service to our country". Come back safely after your service and continue shooting with us for many more years to come.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

#4 ·
Jin... I grew-up in Hopkinsville, Ky and an uncle of mine was base XO for a time in the 70s--so I know the area and base fairly well. I know as well a good deal about the 101st, from its inception through the second Gulf war. You are serving your country in an outfit that knows how to fight. And you will learn those skills under the best training conditions on the planet...and also because there's almost NOTHING to do off-duty in the area! ;)

#5 ·
Thanks for the pics brother and welcome back....

You becareful out there and stay safe... Or you will answer to me ;)

Watch your six brother..

#7 ·
Hi Jinzoningen,
This is a hello from France
I have visited your web site, congratulations for the pictures and all explications, this is a real professional report
In the Army you will learn a lot, get good friends and rich experiences you will remember all your life.
My father was a french Army Officer and for myself a was serving my country three years in french Guyana in the French Army Marine Corps.
I wish you the best, enjoy and learn, shoot all calibers you can and be safe
Sincerely,
John

#10 ·
Jinzoningen - Glad you were able to get back on for a while. Have a blast shooting all the neat stuff that I wish I could shoot. But since the military dosen't take old farts I'll have to be content with fantasizing. Keep yourself safe. Thank you for keeping us safe.

God bless and watch yer topknot.

#12 ·
TRB,

I think it's Japanese for "android" or something like that...

FWIW,

Hank

#18 ·
You can't fire those 60mm's with the muzzle caps on :biglaugh:
Only time I worked with those was in Basic training.
Got sent to a mechanized unit and worked with the four duece for my entire enlistment.

Some days, I really miss the sound of them big fellas going off.

Stay safe, watch out for hangfires and thanks for serving.

High Angle Hell!

#20 ·
ranburr said:
Why are "Dopes on Ropes", One-Oh-Worst troops wearing black berets? When I was in they wore Airborne berets. What gives, and don't take offense to my first remarks, we used to like to tease the "Screaming Eagles" that they were wanna-be Airborne troopers.

ranburr
no offense taken - a good sense of humor goes a long way for infantry. We wear the standard black beret because we aren't 100% air assault. Everyone in the 82nd is airborne so they get the maroon beret. The goal is to get everyone in the 101st air assault qualified and thus we'll get our own beret too. I dread to think what it will look like with the army changing over to ACUs and uniform appearance taking a back seat. :mummy:

#21 ·
Jinzoningen said:
no offense taken - a good sense of humor goes a long way for infantry. We wear the standard black beret because we aren't 100% air assault. Everyone in the 82nd is airborne so they get the maroon beret. The goal is to get everyone in the 101st air assault qualified and thus we'll get our own beret too. I dread to think what it will look like with the army changing over to ACUs and uniform appearance taking a back seat. :mummy:

Jinzoningen,

Are you a rocky-son? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.