1911Forum banner

No carry/weapon signs in businesses...

8K views 64 replies 52 participants last post by  FNISHR 
#1 ·
I live in the Auburn/Opelika area in Alabama, which I am happy to say seems to be fairly friendly to gun owners. However, of all the businesses, local and chain, the only ones that prohibit concealed carry are the two "tacticool" gun shops. What the hell?

#2 ·
I can't remember in the last 20 something years, ever going into a gun store that allowed anyone but police to have loaded firearms in the customers hands, except for on the range.

1 - The obvious, but less-likely reason = Robbery potential

2 - The more likely reason = LIABILITY. With people playing with guns, dry-firing, waving them around and sweeping everyone from Granny to the local hobo outside..... probably best to have unloaded guns in the sales area.

#58 ·
Remember, its "CONCEALED" carry, so why would the firearm be "in the customers hands". No one should know you even have it, gun shops that don't honor concealed carry should be ashamed.

#3 ·
My first step after seeing a "Gun Free Zone" sign on a gun store door, . . . would be the other way, . . . and I would never look back.

If he doesn't trust his customers and himself, . . . he needs to close up shop and open a candy store.

May God bless,
Dwight

#5 ·
+1 if you don't want me to carry in your buisness I go to a competitor, I try to avoid all places that won't let me carry whether it's a burger joint or car dealership.

#4 ·
Plenty of gun shops have "no loaded guns" signs for liability and insurance reasons. My LGS has a "we welcome those who CCW and Open Carry" sign, and that's why it's my LGS of choice.

Robert

Moving to General, as this is not legal or political in nature though.

#6 ·
Although I agree, in principle, with doing business where I am welcome - I challenge each of you to work in a Gun Store for a week.

We'll see what your opinions are like then.

#14 ·
Exactly. All the local shops near me either prohibit loaded guns, or else state that all weapons must be holstered or in a case before entering. Those here who think it's anti-Second Amendment to say so need to work in a gun store for a few weeks and see what kinds of clowns come in the door from time to time. As much as it hurts to say it, there actually are people out there who shouldn't be allowed to have guns or any other dangerous objects. Most of them also shouldn't be allowed to drive either, but that's a subject for another discussion.

#7 ·
"2 - The more likely reason = LIABILITY. With people playing with guns, dry-firing, waving them around and sweeping everyone from Granny to the local hobo outside..... probably best to have unloaded guns in the sales area."

Bingo!Next time you're in an older shop ask if there are any holes in the walls.Traded in guns have been found loaded in the case or a gunshow more than once too.Those of us that have been around guns since children aren't the problem,it's the others for the most part.Most places I've been outside of a gunshow have a simple rule despite the sign,if it's concealed keep it there.If you do have to unload to check a holster or whatever either hit a safe zone or go outside to your vehicle.

#8 ·
I too have always thought it strange that gun shops have that sign out front but in a conversation with one of the guys at my local store he said as long as it's concealed they were fine with it BUUUUT if one of there guys see it they are supposed to have you clear it.

I guess it depends on the owners. I can't recall a gun store that didn't have those signs though.

#10 · (Edited)
Woody Guthrie

Regarding signs,I'm with Woody Guthrie.

Here's a variant in "This Land Was Made for You and Me":

"As I went walking,I saw a sign there;
And on the sign it said 'No Tresspassing'
But on the other side it didn't say nothing.
That side was made for you and me."

Everybody sing!

#11 ·
I grew up, live near and and am often in Philadelphia Pa (a city of about 4 million people). I have NEVER seen a sign that said NO GUNS ALLOWED. Ever. Not in stores, not at chain or local restaurants, not at gun shops. The only sign i ever saw at a gun shop was "keep your gun holstered"

#13 ·
The majority of the gun stores in my area that have signs don't prohibit carry but state that guns stay holstered in the store. After watching a couple of people whip out their guns to try holsters sweeping half the people in the store I understand. The owner showed me a bullet hold in the counter from someone trying out holsters.

#18 ·
The holster rule I can definitely understand and agree with, but, anyone that agrees with no loaded carry can't complain about a sign in any other retail establishment. Those same morons that will show off their new gun in the LGS are just as likely to show it to their buddy they run into at Walmart. Thankfully, those signs are not the norm and three of the five stores in the area don't have the, and then they also don't have loads of "tactical gear" like the other two.

If common sense had anything to do with it, most of the employees and customers probably shouldn't own guns

#20 ·
I to live in Alabama (ROLL TIDE) that is North AL. LGS's up here all allow cc, just unload before you come in, thats not always a rule, I believe you should do that as a common courtesy. Only place I have seen a sign is one of the local Hospitals and of course local and Fed, locations. All the shops I frequent all employees open carry. I'm more scared of that than a concealed carry person who as a rule is responsible.

#21 ·
Actually the gun shops in my area, I think without exception, allow carry inside the store. Let's face it, a sign on the front door isn't going to keep the bad guy from walking in armed and if a bunch of the good guys (customers) are carrying you'd hope they'd come to the aid of the shops employees. Even Cabela's has changed their policy here. They started out with a "no loaded firearms allowed" and then went to "loaded firearms must stay holstered," as I recall.

Now pawn shops are another issue. They haven't figured it out or maybe it is an insurance issue.

#22 ·
Course I can understand why they don't allow cc, its Auburn them people are nuts to begin with.(Roll Tide) ooops just started a forum war SORRY

#29 ·
I do not buy anything from anyone that wants me disarmed first.......its just that simple.
I always heard if you don't trust me I should not trust your either.
If I am C Carrying correctly how would you ever know I am armed?
I'm doing it wrong if you do.

If I am bringing in a weapon to show you, I would tell you first, and it would be unloaded. I am not a idiot.

And to the people that want to decide who carry's, what other parts of the constitution do you have problems with?

I don't own guns because I love them, I own weapons because I have a right, and duty to.

#30 ·
My LGS/Range has the holstered or cased sign out front. If I have to deal with one of the smith's or am checking out holsters, they get the pistol in the case with the action locked open.
Anything I'm looking at gets checked by them prior to handing it over, and by me again - even though I just saw them check. They never even raise an eyebrow at me checking again. They will also hand me their carry piece (all employees at my LGS are open carrying) after clearing, again I will double check to make sure it is clear.
Our new local Cabela's has a sign, but only if you are bringing a weapon in for work or to check holster fit. CC is permitted, although OC is legal here, there aren't too many that do so.

#32 ·
I remember, back in the early 80's, going to the Knoxville PD range. At the gate was a large sign, about 4 foot square, reading "NO LOADED WEAPONS BEYOND THIS POINT". Conversely, on the way out, there was an equally large sign reminding officers to make sure they loaded their duty weapon.

It's all about safety and liability.

#34 ·
It's all about safety and liability.
I don't see why people are getting bent out of shape. THIS is the ENTIRE reason right here. My LGS/range both have "no loaded weapons" by the front door. I don't get upset because I know exactly what they are doing it for - STUPID people.

I know that if I want to carry, I just conceal it and don't say a word. It's as easy as that. If I'm going to the range, it actually helps me to conceal it to carry it in when I have a larger loadout. Carrying in 4 handguns without a range bag makes things tricky.

So, my message to those offended is to relax. They are doing it for the good of everyone around since firearms are literally being handled on a daily basis. Other places with "gun-free zone" signs - I'm in agreement there. If they don't want me armed and law-abiding, they don't want my business.

The main difference here is that firearms are being handled regularly in a gun store. In ANY other situation, the gun should never really be "handled." If it's on you and you don't have to use it, it won't be handled.

#33 ·
After reading this twice.
I have come to realize that there are many things in this world that I and my family have seen and will get to see, that a lot of you won't.
Because you are in your CAVE.
If you think I posted this to be funny, not, I'm serious.

I have carried since 1966 with a permit if available . In the early days in FL you could have it in your car, but it took at least 3 steps to put in you hand.
Have you ever pulled a weapon on a fellow human. I have at least 3 times, it caused a bad situation, to become calm. Afterwords I was shaking all over.

PARANOID PARANOIA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.