1911Forum banner

Source For Quality Hi-cap Mags?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  johnnybravo 
#1 ·
I know this thread is not new ground, but I've just purchased a HP detective model. It only comes w/ one, 10 round mag but takes the standard HP, hi-cap mags.

I would welcome recommendations for quality hi-cap mags.

Thanks, be safe, and check your six,

Erich

#4 ·
I've had two of the Argentine/South African magazines that are unusable. The hold a lot of shells, but both magazines bind at about the half way mark... either the steel follower or the 9mm against the inside of the magazines. It is sufficient to keep any pressure of the spring from moving the shells up for feeding. This usually happens for about 2-3 rounds and then everything is back to normal.

I am guessing that it is about the point at which the steel follower encoungers the narrowing groove in the magazine. I have tossed both of them since (1) I never know exactly when they will bind, and (2) neither will hold the slide open after the last shot.

I've got some cheap mags from the gun show with plastic followers and they work just fine, but don't have the "mouse trap" spring and sometimes you have to "flick" the mag to have it drop.

#8 ·
Thanks for the Responses

Thanks for all the input. I checked out CDNN and they have the factory hi-caps (LE) for $30 and I think that will be my choice for carry. I'm going to buy some Mecgars for the range, also.

I'm planning on building this as a carry pistol, I've already talked to the gentleman at Action Works in AZ and he told me he's done several of these and they turn out really nice (night sites, trigger job, adjust for accuracy). I've got a SA 1911-A1, Lightweight Compact that I love but I wanted a smaller 9mm and have owned (and also love) HPs. The Detective seemed like it would be a perfect fit. Work has me carrying a Sig 229 (9mm) and I also have an XD-4 w/ works like a charm.

A mi amigo Erich, es un nombre muy raro con "h" y mas de este con gente de que hablar Espanol. No es mi lengua primera, pero estudie por un ano y platico todos los dias por mi trabajo. Si una persona hable Ingles y Espanol, todo el mundo esta abierto.

Sorry fellas, just threw a little Spanish in there for the other Erich. Or am I the other Erich? "Tocayo" means namesake - w/ Mexican Spanish speakers its a little nickname used when two people have the same name. In Spain its used more like naming a child after a relative. Its not just a gun web site - its a little educational!

Anywho, again thanks for the input. I'll keep ya'll (uds. o vosotros) posted on the progress.

#10 ·
Erich, hablas muy bien - ¡no mas un año! Mi español no es tan fuerte - lo uso en mi trabajo también.

You guys are making me want to shoot my Hi-Power tomorrow - unfortunately, I'm heading out to NY to visit relatives, so it'll be more than a week before I can. BTW, CimarronOK, I've had the exact same experience with the KDR mags. No amount of polishing seems to help - I've just stopped using them entirely.

#12 ·
CimarronOK said:
I've had two of the Argentine/South African magazines that are unusable. The hold a lot of shells, but both magazines bind at about the half way mark... either the steel follower or the 9mm against the inside of the magazines. It is sufficient to keep any pressure of the spring from moving the shells up for feeding. This usually happens for about 2-3 rounds and then everything is back to normal.

I bought 2 of these, mostly out of curiosity. The follower would bind up, then flip sideways, bending the spring in a "U" shape.

I took the followers out, ran the sides of them over some emory cloth, then loaded the mags full and let them sit loaded for a few months. I haven't had any trouble since, but I still don't trust them fully. I don't carry them, they're for range use only now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.