1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the best 1911 movie?

821K views 3K replies 2K participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
Ok, here's something a little different:

As gun guys, a lot of you are probably like me in that the guns used in movies are as important as the actors. Since I've been watching lots of movies lately, I was wondering what everyone's opinion was for the movie with the most/best 1911 action in it?

Wind Talkers or SWAT gets my vote at the moment.

#1,548 ·
When I was a teenager, some sixty years ago, I had the hots for Lizabeth Scott. She was a husky voiced platinum blond, usually at odds with Raymond Burr and Dan Dureya. In TOO LATE FOR TEARS She killed her husband with his GI 1911 and carried it the rest of the movie. Drove a 1941 Buick convertible, too.

#1,549 ·
Mentioned it before, finally found it on Blu Ray on Amazon, it isn't the best 1911 movie but it deserves honorable mention. Sinners and Saints, with Johnny Strong, directed by William Kaufman. Tom Berrenger, one of the guys from Boondock Saints, some rapper, a few TV actors that I recognized, and some UFC guy round out the cast. Guy carries a full railed Springfield Operator, 10 round CMC P-Mags, his rig is Safariland. Not a superb movie but a good enoug flick considering that it had to have been done on a budget (The El Camino the main character drives that's "restored" has some door sag going on). Somehow, it ends up being a good film, you even get some tactical reloading and some good gunfights as well.

Two more films by the same guy that feature the 1911 are The Prodigy...his first film, a so-so production that kept me watching it just because the story was good. A minor thug becomes the obsession of a mysterious hitman that styles himself after the Invisible Man. Some 1911s are used in the gunfights, it impressed me enough that I went looking for other things he did. It was on Netflix quite briefly.

Hit List: Not a bad little film with Cuba Gooding Jr (now I guess stuck doing B-actioneers). He plays a burnt out government assassin that "befriends" a white collar stiff who feels like he's getting done royally on all fronts. Starts whacking people on a hit list the guy makes, thinking it to be a joke while he drinks in a bar. There's a short scene with a 1911 and Cuba mainly carries that FN 5.7 pistol that some folks think is the cat's meow.

#1,551 ·
go to IMFDB and read up on these :)

My number one for some great 1911 action would have to be way of the gun... the discipline of Phillippe and Del Toro was awesome... and the shoot out scene at the climax is just epic!

Then Face Off for introducing me to the 1911 when I was 8 with those gold plated Springfields

Last Man Standing

Punisher (2004)

Expendables

The way of the gun is sure to give any one who really loves and respects the 1911 a gun boner!

#1,553 ·
I have always heard that Alvin York, the famous WW I hero, used his 1911 to capture the 100+ German prisoners that made him famous. However, I watched Sergeant York, the 1944 movie, this evening and in that movie he used his Enfield rifle and a couple of Luger's taken from German soldiers. The movie never showed him carrying a 1911.

#1,554 ·
He is said to have used his 1911 to kill German soldiers charging him. I believe he was quoted as saying he shot the men in the rear first and moved towards those closest. That way the others didn't halt in a panic and fire on him when they saw the first man go down. Don't know if anyone can verify the validity of that statement, be nice to know. He then from what I understand captured some German small arms and grenades and picked some folks off, leading to the surrender of several German troops. Once again I can't say I'm certain that's how it went down, it's merely my understanding.

#1,556 ·
The Big Lebowski!

"Smokey, if you mark that frame an eight you are entering a world of pain."

I particularly like that, having chambered a round, they show Goodman unload weapon and return to condition 3. Movies rarely show that stuff. This film also gets my vote for: "Most realistic portrayal of the use of an Uzi." ...lol.

#1,558 ·
+1 for Gran Torino

I was gonna say Band of Brothers but it's not really a movie. I just watched it again the other day and on the last episode the guy's 1911 jams and they have to shoot the fleeing SS officer with the M1 instead. I was like WHA??? Clear that thing son!

#1,561 ·
Set up my DVR to record the series the other day...need to watch that pilot but I'll be eyeing his sidearm to see if I can tell. Hopefully it's a good show and not just 1911 p**n.

Just finished Extreme Prejudice yesterday, thanks to this very thread. It was pretty awesome. Cheesy and dated 80's feel, but it was a solid action flick (even if he didn't handle his 1911 as well as James Caan handles his 6" long slide in "Thief").

#1,562 ·
Many Steven Seagal movies. He is a big fan of 1911s.

Also THE WAY OF THE GUN. The actors carry only 1911s and carry them in IWB holsters.

#1,577 ·
Longmire pics and video clip

shooterx asked Yep; he was packing hammer-down, presumably Condition 3 (sigh). No checkering on the frontstrap, so possibly an SA or Colt.
Here are some images and a clip from the first scene where he gets ready to head out. I do like the grips...it's a nice piece, and I got a couple of good stills of the lower profile and dust cover to tell if it's Commander or Full, but I think it's a 5".

...oh, and I got a video clip as well. :)

Here is the full set on Flickr (in case the static image URLs change later)

#1,564 ·
It looked like an old school GI 1911, with some sort of faux Stag grips. Longmire is based on a series of novels. They are better on the gun stuff then the pilot episode was, but not too much, he carries hammer down in the book too. But he is a vietnam vet, and it mentions the 1911 by name, and how its his service gun. No war service mentioned in the show, but they did show he had some rough looking scars, maybe it will come up later.

The show did good with the characters and atmosphere. The plot itself had very little to do with the first book, on which it seemed only loosely based. It did have a Sharps .45-70, but it was much more important to the plot in the book, and made more sense. I thought the notion of tracking down all the Sharps rifles in the wyoming area they were in based on them somehow being registered was pretty dumb, plus the expert gun guy tells him that there are no modern guns available in that caliber, so the murder weapon must be an antique?!

#1,565 ·
Agree. There are many rifles chambered in the .45-70 besides the Sharps. The hammer down, Condition 2, bothers me too. Looks like someone needs to go to Gun Site and learn about 1911s' and hire a consultant who knows about firearms. I'll give the show a few more episodes, but I'm not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.