1911Forum banner

KY Supreme Court rules that gun in car on campus legal

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  master gunner 
#1 ·
Short story of interest in KY:

http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2012/04/26/10/30/8hkmi.So.79.pdf

Here's my rough summary:

• University of Kentucky has a no guns policy.
  • Guy has gun in car.
  • His colleagues think he has gun in locker and somehow they prompt a search of his locker and car by UK campus police.
  • They find the gun in his car.
  • Police confiscate his gun and UK fires him for violating policy.
  • The guy sues. Circuit Court rules against him. It goes to the KY Supreme Court.
  • Supreme Court reverses Circuit Court and rules pro-2A in support of the guy.

The above was because in Kentucky's case, the statute (KRS 237.106(4)) very specifically states that no person or organization can prohibit possession of a firearm in someone's vehicle. But it is interesting that the court also says something to the effect that "there is a fundamental and well-defined public policy around the right to bear arms".

Wonder if this will set any other precedents (even if only in-state).

See less See more
#2 ·
The University of North Florida is being sued as we speak over the same thing. Our law states only a school district may prohibit weapons in vehicles, not public universities, as they are not county schools.

#4 ·
I applaud the result of the court's decision. I do point out that the result was based upon a statutory provision and that the court referred more than once to a university's right to control their property. So the decision does not allow open carry by anyone on a public university campus. That issue will have to be resolved later.

#5 ·
Outstanding.:D

I have to say that Kentucky's firearm laws are very liberal.
3 more were signed into law a few weeks ago that will keep the likes of bloomberg out of our hair.

#9 ·
Frog- Just be glad they let you keep them with their office. Folks down here at OU have no options other to not have them. The campus police will not store them, the university will automatically expel for having them on campus (which is danged inconvenient since the university owns 90% of the apartments in this town and has decided they are all "campus property".) .

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.