1911Forum banner

Paid $40 for CCI Large Pistol Primers today

5K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  RustyFN 
#1 ·
Gunshow in Kingsport Tn and I happened to be in town. I was really looking for another 10/22 for a build(didn't find one that was not overpriced). I am low on primers and found a vendor with CCI's for $32, so $40 including my show entry fee...at least I didn't leave empty handed:scratch:

#3 ·
I know the feeling. If I pay to get in, I feel obligated to buy SOMETHING to justify the trip. Last show it was a bundle of SHAM-WOWS and some buffalo jerky.......:hrm:

#14 ·
Yeah, I just went to a show looking for reloading supplies. I had gone on line and checked out Powder Valley the night before so I would have an idea of what I should pay.

Now I am not against someone making a profit and I would have been glad to give the guy some business but when his prices are so much high that on just two of the powder I wanted would cover the hazmat and shipping (let alone the primers being overpriced!) I had to pass...

Did pick up some stuff from a Dillon dealer though and I had a good time with my son so it would have been worth it at any cost.

#6 ·
Yesterday gunshow I saw a table with some reloading stuff.

He had old boxes of Nosler bullets. Partitions and Combined Technology.
The boxes had been damp, and wrapped in tape to hold them together.
So I bought one box of each. Out in the car I opened them up,
all bullets perfect still in the plastic wrapper with foam padding.
So I went back and bought all he had. 22 boxes.
Various calibers and weights. 7mm. 270. 308. 140gr, 150gr, 165gr.
Some were priced $10.80 and some were priced $12.00 per box.
That paid for the ticket. Oh yeah.

#16 ·
THAT was a hell of a snag! :biglaugh:

I did the same thing 20 yrs back on Noslers! A large commercial reloader had a fire and they were selling the brass and bullets that had gotten WET. The Noslers are in PLASTIC wrap, so zero damage. I bought them for an average of $4 per box for the smaller stuff and $6 for 7mm and thirty caliber.

FN in MT

#10 ·
Griz, I completly understand Buffalo Jerky.......but you got me on the Sham Wow:hrm::D

I have walked out in the past empty handed....seems like that has happened lately more and more. The funny thing is I always feel like I have stepped back int a time warp. It's 1980 again and all the same old farts are sitting behind their tables just waiting to scoff at anyome that dare try and "negotiate" on their prices. Even though I am way closer to old fart status now they still treat me the same...no respect, I get no respect:bawling::D

When Wolff primers were $16 a thou online a few months ago I hesitated(money was a little tight)..............BIG MISTAKE EH?

#19 · (Edited)
Ya know, when my son is out of the house in a few years my wife and I may take off with the trailer in tow...I can park it for the 17 days I'm gone, have my 13 off. I kind of like MT, at least the parts that don't blend in with ND!

Only thing is would I end up needing a Class 1 hazmat diamond on the trailer???

:biglaugh:

Are you familiar with The Depot steak restaurant? It was really good about 25 years ago!

#17 · (Edited)
I finally bought some WLPP from powder valley. Hated to pay shipping and hazemat but swallowed real hard and bought enough to bring it down to 30 dollars per thousand. At gun shows in my area it is a crap shoot if they have what you are looking for at a reasonable price. Best deal I have ever ran into was at a local sporting good store, they had Hornady LSWC .45's on sale for 16 dollars for 500 ( this was years ago ). Took two boxes to the register, the young gal wasn't sure how much they were, told her 16 dollars a box and she said no they are not, they are 12 dollars. I said no, she said yes they are, I went back and got 2 more boxes. Still feel a little shameful.

#21 ·
I went to the Kingsport show Sat. Didn't buy anything. Did look at a S&W shield in 9mm. Also a Kahr CW9. The Kahr was tempting. Liked the feel of it but the slide is hard to pull back. Most of the dealers were higher than gun shops. The one selling reloading supplies had fair prices.

#24 ·
OK, I had to go dig out my spreadsheet for the last order just to be sure I got the hazmat/freight right. I got 10K pf primers, 3 kegs of 8# each powder, and 2 bottles of 1# each on powder. The order went over into commercial freight because it was a lot bigger than the 48# for UPS/FEDEX cap. My total cost for hazmat/freight/insurance was $19.63. There were 6 of us on the order. So 19.63 cost spread out over my 43# comes to .46C a pound. And I paid no tax, so there's another 8.25% I saved by buying bulk. When the big shortage hit before the Obamanation took office, I had done a similar stock up, except I did that size order 4 times during the previous year. My friends and I never missed a beat. When everyone else was digging and scratching for left overs at Wally World, staring at empty shelves everywhere in town and shooting 10 or 15 rounds a week because there was no ammo, We were still going strong and never slowed up. Other than a few misc assorted powders I wanted to try, I was/am, still loading from those purchases 3 and 4 years ago, and that's when primers and powder were a lot cheaper than they are now. I don't let my stocks get low, and try to keep at least one presidential term ahead.

#26 ·
Generally, Powder Valley's shipping charges are based on the subtotal of the order... <$150.00, shipping $9.95; <$300.00, $13.95; <$600.00, $15.95; >$600, $19.95.
They also charge insurance of $.50 per $100.00 on orders above $120
Shot, brass or bullets ship in a flat rate box for $14.

#29 ·
If the only thing you bought at the gun show was coffee for a buck would you call it $9 coffee?!?!
Plus parking, gas, and $25 per hour for my time, it would be a $109 coffee.

If I have a flat tire on the way to the gun show, it could be $209 coffee.

If the car catches fire and burns to the ground while I'm changing the flat,
it could be $509 coffee. (My car is getting old. :( )

:rofl:

'Crossroads of the West' gun show is $14. Plus $4 parking. You think you got it bad?

#32 ·
The Crossroads of the West gun shows are about the only ones that I go to anymore here in So. Az. The others charge the same money with approx. half, if that many, tables. The last gun show that I went to at the TCC I decided right then that it just wasn't worth my time(it isn't worth much these days) and money to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.