1911Forum banner

If you could only have one build your own 1911 DVD it would be????

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Quack 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a 1911 build and fitting how to DVD and don't have money for a library of reference material.... What DVD is the most complete.:
Thanks

#3 ·
there's quite a few. Without knowing your experience level, people may hesitate to advise. I'm not qualified to give much advice, but I have heard good things about Wilson Combat DVDs, but like I said, there's a lot of them out there.
Good luck.

#5 ·
I'm a machinist and a muscle car hobbyist for 20 years.... New to guns. bought my first 1911 last year by pure coincidence of the anniversary. I was old by an elder gentleman that the 1911 was the finest weapon available so I saved my pennies and got a DanWesson because of the reputation. And I leaning.tward a Fusion build.for the same.reason.. That said I'm new new new to fitting parts but I love doing new things. I built my own 3 link rear suspension last year for my 72 Nova I'm not afraid of the work... I just need to know how to do it....

#9 · (Edited)
For a start, the Kuhnhausen Book Of 1911 Vol. I will be a good read (I have one). It shows the basic field stripping, tools to use/purchase advises, common trouble shooting, and goes into the more involve procedures of slide/frame fittings. The Vol. II is more involve and for those who trully wants to go into custom building 1911s ( I don't have it, too complicated for me).

As for the DVD, I bought AGIs 1911 Assembly/Disassembly(cost me $39.95) if my recollection is correct, gunsmith is Bob Dunlap. I bought it to supplement my book above. If you want, AGI also have sets of 1911 DVDs that would cater for those who wants to learn beyond the basics.

#6 ·
Archival searches of this forum may prove to be helpful. There is a wealth of information here, not only in past posts but in current discussions as well. Be mindful there are some darn handy craftsmen ( I am not one of them...) with a ton of talent and experience on these pages and when done respectfully the advice/ info you are seeking will percolate to the surface.

#8 ·
I don't think that one DVD or book will do what you want. At a minimum, the Kuhnhausen books should be added to the mix. And purchase or download the free 1911 blueprints. You'll need those to check specs. Be aware that no source of info is perfect and there are differing opinions on how to do certain fitting measures. They are based on individual experiences from, in some cases, many years of building guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.