1911Forum banner

Factory 9x23 pistols available?

17K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  JiminCA 
#1 ·
Are there any 1911 manufactures that make a 9x23 pistol? Or do I have to convert a 38 Super pistol into one? STI used to offer 9x23 as an option, but I don't see it in their product line-up.

#2 ·
I can't think of any "current" factory 1911 pattern pistol offerings in 9x23. You are correct that most people use a .38 super and re-barrel. I must emphasize "re-barrel" because I have read there are some that just shoot 9x23 down their .38 supers. The chambers are different. PM "eerw" as he used to shoot 9x23 in open a while ago and has load information.

#3 ·
9x23

Brother, I've been looking into this, and yes Colt built a Series 80 Mark 4 in 9x23 only 1500 were made and out of those, Colt sold only 500 as complete guns. The rest were turned into parts guns.

I saw one at a gunshow going for $799.00, I'd like to get really excited about it, but to spend that kind of money on such a caliber and it's being rather obscure, kept me from buying it. Now I heard nothing but good about the 9x23, but it seems like I can change out the 9x21 barrel in my Kimber 2 for alot less. And I would have to reload my own since it's rare and I would have to order the 9x23 brass.

I'm still looking forward to trying out the 9x23 caliber. Corbon is also making self defense load in this caliber which is really great.

#4 ·
I have 2 Sig P220 in 38 Supers, and they are great guns. (one with a European mag release, the other with American mag release) But the strange part is that the Super ammo costs $4.00 per box than the 9x23. ( I don't reload yet) Because of it's alloy frame, the Sigs are not good candidates for a 9x23 barrel. Sooo I am trying find a 9x23 1911 instead. And it looks like I will be getting an after market barrel for it, since there doesn't seem to be any factory 9x23s left.
My next question is, if I decide to get a 1911 to convert, say a STI Trojan, would it be easier to convert a 9mm or a 38 Super? Once converted, I am sticking with the 9x23-I am not going back and forth.
Thanks for the replys.

#7 ·
I think the reason there aren't more factory 9x23s has to do with the cartridge's extremely high operating pressures. The .45 ACP runs at what, 15,000 CUP? A lot of drop-in barrels, and even a lot of fitted barrels, have horizontal contact of only one barrel lug. That is, all of the pressure is born by one lug. If you are going to build a 9x23, it should probably have equal bearing on all three lugs, and that's probably not a production-line proposition. If you aren't going to shoot hot, 45,000 CUP loads, may as well stick with .38 Super.

#9 ·
Thanks guys for your input. I e-mailed Dane Burns about a 9x23 project, but he said he is not taking any new projects at this time. Too bad, because he lives in Issaque, WA, about 25 min from my place. He probably knows as much as anyone about the 9x23 conversions. I will keep looking-or just wait.

#12 ·
I'd like to know where the figure of 1500 Colts and 500 out the door actually came from. I've seen about 10 or 12 for sale in the last 7 or 8 years. One is mine. Also have a factory Springfield 9x23. Bought it for a song as far as 1911's go. It's not as pretty as the Colt but it has a Wilson/Nowlin ramp, is more accurate than me, and feeds like poop through a goose.

#13 · (Edited)
The safest way to run 9x23 is in a fully supported barrel.

If you run a ramped barrel, it is OK with Winchester brass. I wouldn't run anyone else's brass in an unramped barrel. The Win stuff is really thick around the base area.

If you reload you should work out different loads for each brass type, as case volume varies from mfg to mfg. This higher pressure stuff is nothing to fool around with. Lots of guys use rifle primers to reload 9x23 because of the pressures.

I have a 9x23 built up by EGW that runs like a house on fire. Fully supported barrel. I run factory and reloads with no worries in this gun.

I also run 9x23 factory loads and reloads through a conventionally barrelled Colt 38 super. They did not chamber consistently in the Colt factory barrel but run just fine in the Barsto 38super barrel that I installed. But I don't run anything but Win brassed loads through it.

Factory Win white box ammo (124 gr) chronos just under 1450 FPS in both of these guns.

No mystery here. Use some common sense. 9x23 is a high pressure round with slightly different dimensions than 38 super. If you go look at the drawings you'll see that there's a taper on the 9x23 case. Some 38 super guns will run it unmodded, some won't. If it won't you'll need a different barrel. And if you really want to do it "right", get a fully supported barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.