1911Forum banner

Israel Arms Ltd. M5000 question

16K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  baker1425 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked this up, and thanks to the forum I learned quite a bit about it. But I was wondering if the M5000 came stock with the squared trigger guard, extended slide release, thumb safety, beavertail safety and Commander hammer?

The finish on all the parts seems the same, so it doesn't look like aftermarket work unless the entire gun was refinished-a deep blue almost black on all parts.

The Crimson Trace grips I added. Original stocks were a dark walnut.

Thanks,

Randy

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
to my limited knowledge. IMI M5000 parts are supplied by Shooters Arms Manufacturing (SAM of Phils) to IMI and they just assymbled the unit and put the "IMI M5000" rool mark on the slide.
i think your unit is a chopsoy combination of Delta/Sigma frames with Alpha/Omega slide with a flat rib top and low profile snag free rear sight.
the ambi-safety doesn't came standard thou to SAM's units.
try looking at the frames if it mentioned made in the philippines. you can also check this link to compare your M5000 to SAM's units.
www.shootersarms.com.ph/pistols.html

#4 ·
now that you mention it , it does look like a S.A.M....................ahhhhhh good o'l S.A.M. from the P.I........not exactly my first choice, but it will do (basing from the pistols looks....what can i say im a superfical person heheheheeh)....cant beat the price though.....

at first the pic. looks more of a norinco design.....but it does have the S.A.M. 1911 series features.

#5 ·
_TYKE_ said:
now that you mention it , it does look like a S.A.M....................ahhhhhh good o'l S.A.M. from the P.I........not exactly my first choice, but it will do (basing from the pistols looks....what can i say im a superfical person heheheheeh)....cant beat the price though.....

at first the pic. looks more of a norinco design.....but it does have the S.A.M. 1911 series features.
well...at a first glance of the slide, it looks like a norinco factory enhanced police model(with the flat top features)but without standard curved chamfer on the muzzle.
but if you'll compare it to the slide models Alpha & Omega of SAM, it's much more nearer than the norinco model. :) just my observation thou i might be wrong. :)

#6 · (Edited)
hitman joe said:
well...at a first glance of the slide, it looks like a norinco factory enhanced police model(with the flat top features)but without standard curved chamfer on the muzzle.
but if you'll compare it to the slide models Alpha & Omega of SAM, it's much more nearer than the norinco model. :) just my observation thou i might be wrong. :)
you might be wrong then again i maybe wrong, sometimes the pics. may not look exactly as the real thing. but i think your more of in the right track than my observations. eheheheheheheheh

#7 ·
Based upon a search of the archives, this is an Israeli made gun. Although it doesn't show from this pic, the slide is marked "M5000 GAL" and there is a Star of David stamped on the inside of the slide.

The reason why I was asking the question whether or not the M5000's came with all the combat modifications is because I can't seem to find any factory literature or descriptions that match my gun.

I've found descriptions of the M5000 coming stock with ambi-thumb safety. This one isn't. Also, it's supposed to come two-toned with a nickle or chrome frame with blue slide. This gun is all blue.

This gun could have been reblued, but I can't tell. The markings are fainter than what I usually see on a gun. I don't know if it's because they've been polished out or not. The markings look like print from a dot-matrix printer, not the traditional roll markings or stampings.

Anyway, this gun shoots great. Using the Crimson Trace grips, five rounds of RP factory hardball at 21 feet make a nice hole you can cover with a quarter.

Randy

#8 ·
Smokers said:
Anyway, this gun shoots great. Using the Crimson Trace grips, five rounds of RP factory hardball at 21 feet make a nice hole you can cover with a quarter.

Randy
and that's what is important. :) a gun that goes bang everytime you full the tigger, and shoot's a very tight group using your defensive ammo. :p

#9 ·
Fie

Theres one of those I looked at at a local dealers that was exactly the same except for the frame, it had a satin finish. It was marked FIE and seemed pretty squared away. It has all of those same features on it. I remember an article in one of the police rags from about five or so years ago where they raved about them.

#10 ·
Craig,

Thanks for the input. The more I find out about this little gun the more I like it.

I normally shoot bullseye, but was thinking about IDPA. I was wondering what class the Israeli gun was in because of all the combat mods (extended slide release, beavertail, rowel hammer, etc), but if that's the way it came from the factory, it's box stock (I think).

Now I've got to find a holster because the squared trigger guard doesn't fit my Bladetech.

Randy
NRA Life Member

#11 ·
It's going to be in CDP as are all 45 1911s.

If you're only going to the Blade tech for that gun, I have seen others use hair dryer to adjust the kydex to fit. I don't know if that will work for you though. I have a safari arms with the hook, so I knoweth of what you speaketh (Old English)

Holler and let me know how it works!

#12 ·
Gal M5000 Israeli 1911

Have what sounds very much like yours, i.e. squared off trigger guard,extended beavertail etc but no oversized safety. Don't be put off the the comments by guys who mistake this model for either the one posted or the one susequently made in the Phillipines Israel contracting out for essentallay cheap commercial sale after they stopped production. The Israel made GAL M500 is a Commander sized barrel full size 1911. It has a very nicely finished forged frame and slide and the fitting is much better than most SA Inc entry level models. Mine came with Colt safety, mag release. Wolf variable rate springs and Chip McCormich rose wood grips plus about five other mags i.e two Wilsons top of the line and three Mc Cormick Starline eight and ten rounders and it came with a dark after production thin repark which is only flaw. These true Israeli made IMI produced 1911s have Star of David proof marks on them which is helpful to indentification. Mine has never failed to feed or fire with anything tried of FMJ and Semiwadcutters and has a smooth relatively low to moderat trigger pull. They are vastly underated due to their limited and now stopped production and distribution and confusion with Phillipine cheap cast ones. How many forged steel frame and slide with out any cast cheap parts that is nicely fitted and will fire just about anything can you get at time for $350 and up on the used 1911 market. Bottom line (Israel IMI) doesn't make junk for domestic distribution, no games there too many real situations.

#20 ·
well explained

Have what sounds very much like yours, i.e. squared off trigger guard,extended beavertail etc but no oversized safety. Don't be put off the the comments by guys who mistake this model for either the one posted or the one susequently made in the Phillipines Israel contracting out for essentallay cheap commercial sale after they stopped production. The Israel made GAL M500 is a Commander sized barrel full size 1911. It has a very nicely finished forged frame and slide and the fitting is much better than most SA Inc entry level models. Mine came with Colt safety, mag release. Wolf variable rate springs and Chip McCormich rose wood grips plus about five other mags i.e two Wilsons top of the line and three Mc Cormick Starline eight and ten rounders and it came with a dark after production thin repark which is only flaw. These true Israeli made IMI produced 1911s have Star of David proof marks on them which is helpful to indentification. Mine has never failed to feed or fire with anything tried of FMJ and Semiwadcutters and has a smooth relatively low to moderat trigger pull. They are vastly underated due to their limited and now stopped production and distribution and confusion with Phillipine cheap cast ones. How many forged steel frame and slide with out any cast cheap parts that is nicely fitted and will fire just about anything can you get at time for $350 and up on the used 1911 market. Bottom line (Israel IMI) doesn't make junk for domestic distribution, no games there too many real situations.
NOw i know.. Israel make guns for real situations. and thats true. not that I own one GAL 1911

#23 ·
I just got one today GAL M5000 2 tone,not the cheap cast one.Looking for a spare mag 7 rd. It's a sweet 1911! I sold my kimber and this will do for sure.

#14 ·
gsis shooter said:
IMI 1911s are SAM pistols! period.
Wrong! The current crop, yes. The older models, no. If your pistol was imported by I believe it was J.O. Arms in Houston, TX and it has the star of David proof marks on the slide, frame, and barrel, then you have a true Israeli made pistol. It sounds as if yours is. I have the same pistol in the two-tone configuration and it is made in Israel. The Israeli made guns are far superior in every way to the Phillipino versions.

ranburr

#16 ·
gsis shooter said:
If that is so, then how could we explain the proliferation of philippine made 1911s in the US market? and the vast ownership of those cheapy guns like Charles Daly, Armscor, RIA, and SAM? :biglaugh:

ooohhhhh yeah.........got a point.....i see three shots dead center on the ALPHA region and none on BRAVO and CHARLIE on the target paper. heheheheheheh

#17 ·
Bluedsteelnwood, there's a slight chance you may have bought the M-5000 GAL that I sold this fellow on the east coast a few years ago. I did, indeed, replace the aweful rubber wrap-arounds with nice Chip McCormick rosewood diamond-checker grips. I also replaced the (what I considered tacky) extended slide release and thumb safety with Colt parts. In addition to a basic 7-rd mag, I included about 3 mags with the pistol, a Chip McCormick 8-rd Power Mag, a Chip McCormick 10-rd Power Mag, and a Wilson Combat 8-rd mag. I also had the gun bead blasted and parkerized with the older style (grayish green) formula, which I considered a huge improvement over the original blued finish.

Your comment about the thin parkerizing being a flaw makes me think it is probably not the one I used to own because I had Roger Locke of Revelation Arms do the job, and he does one of the best parkerizing jobs around.

Here are some pictures of the M-5000 I *used* to own. It was one of the Israeli-made models, and it was perhaps the most accurate 1911 I've ever shot, and it was 100% reliable.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

#18 ·
ORGREG and BLUEDSTEEL

Thanks for the info on the M5000. It seems we have (had) the same model gun. I had heard of these Israeli guns before, but had never seen one, so I wasn't sure if all the modifications were stock or not. I got mine used in Lancaster, CA for $365, which is about what they went for new. I didn't really NEED this gun, but any quality 1911 for under $400 is a done deal for me.

I had some trouble getting it to feed the Federal 185 grain jacketed hollowpoints, but that's no big deal. It shoots 230 gr. hardball just fine. I'm sure if I look around, I'll find a hollowpoint round that works.

Thanks for the info and especially the pics.

Randy
NRA Life Member

#22 ·
Looks just like my plain Jane model

Your pistol looks very much like mine without all the bells and whistles. Mine is made by SAM and very plain looking except for the ugly rib on top which I can do with-out. The frams and slide appears to be made differently by two manufacturers.

All I did was change the barrel to a nicer versionas the origional barrel had allot of tooling marks inside along side the rifling. Now it works fine and shoots pretty good now and have to admit although it's kinds an odd ball pistol it works great and will trust it in any fight.

rimfire,22

#25 ·
Lol!:dope: No did'nt even look, I was just lookin at forums with info on this pistol.
Mine has the star of david on the frame under the grip,so I'm thinkin I got a good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.