1911Forum banner

Iver Johnson "Thrasher"

46K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  flashhole 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Iver Johnson 3" "Thrashers"? I saw them in my local gun store today. They're about the right size for me, but I've never heard of them, and can't find anything else online about them...

I'll include an image.

-Aaron

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know anything about Iver Johnson but I'm not a big fan of anything less than Commander length (4 1/4"). I have aprox. 40 handguns and the last one I would grab for self defense is my 3" Springfield Micro-Compact. I know some people will swear they have great luck with the 3-3 1/2 barrels in a 1911 but I am not one of them. I love 1911's and have many but I don't think the design works well in anything less than Commander length. BTW my primary carry gun is a compact Glock 36 in 45 .acp.

#3 ·
So you think I should stick to the RIA compact tactical?? I've got fairly small hands and a full size 1911 just seems like a massive hunk of steel for me to be slinging around, and there is no way I'd be able to CCW it.... I could probably be able to handle the 4.25" compact tactical...

-a

#7 ·
I would get a full size 5 " Model first than a compact 1911 second.

I had a full size 5" Iver Johnson until a particularly evil expense reared its ugly head and the Iver made the ultimate sacrifice. It was a good 1911 that worked reliably and now that my financial picture is better I will be replacing that Iver with another Iver 1911. I am just not sure on which model.

#8 ·
Here's my dilemma... I would like to carry it (potentially), and smaller guns tend to suit me better. I mean my EDC gun(s) a Kel Tec PF9 and a XD9sc both fit my hand comfortably without need of grip extensions... When I held a full sized RIA it was such a behemoth piece of metal in my hand... But I need to look at them again, I don't "need" another carry gun... But I tend to err on the side not wanting to only buy guns I'd be willing to carry...

-a

#9 · (Edited)
DBLA -

I understand your viewpoint regarding carry guns. For my own selfish reasons I hope you buy one just so I can read your range report on the Thrasher. As other posters have mentioned 1911's with barrels shorter than 4.25-4" can been tempermental. However some short 1911's work just fine so keep that in mind too. If you do buy the Thrasher also keep in mind that 185gr and 200gr loadings may help keep the Thrasher from Thrashing too much when fired.

#10 ·
So here's another caveat, anyone have any experience with a Metro Arms American Classic Amigo? Saw that one today in a shop, and it looks bad ass... Decently priced too, really impressed by the fit and finish you get for roughly $500...

-a

#12 ·
American Classic Amigo compact officer size 3 1/2 " barrel
American Classic Commander 4 1/4" barrel

I think "Amigo" be good choice if you want a small 1911 Really the frame size except for length of grip are really the same

#15 ·
I have one!

I know this thread is a few months old but I figured I'd still throw in my 2 cents. I recently purchased the Iver Johnson Thrasher in stainless steel and I absolutely love it! I've only put 200 rounds of Federal 230gr through it so far but I have not had one FTF or FTE or any issue with it whatsoever. Everyone who's shot it (including me) is overly impressed with the accuracy of this pistol. I can't stress enough how much I truly love this little 1911. I'm very happy with my purchase.

#16 ·
The Iver Johnson Thrasher is the same gun essentially as the ATI Titan...why? Because both are manufactured by SAM out of the Philippines.

#20 ·
You're right, there are a lot of similarities between the Titan and the Thrasher but the aluminum recoil assembly bushing that a lot of people of here were having issues with on the Titan is replaced with a stronger stainless steel bushing on the Thrasher. And the recoil assembly itself, including the springs, are of a higher quality with the Thrasher.

#22 ·
I just purchased an Iver Johnson Thrasher and I like the solid feel of it. It feels almost as heavy as my RIA 1911A1 so I'm not worried about recoil but I plan on using 185Gr. hollow points as my main defense load. I plan on using this as my carry gun when I get my CCW permit. I havent had the chance to fire it yet but having extensive use of both full size and commander length models I dont anticipate any problems with controlability. This must be a new model from I.J. as I have #12. :D I won't have a chance to try it out for a couple of weeks due to other conflicts of schedule, but I'll try and post a range report on it as soon as I can.

#23 ·
New Thrasher

Thrasher # 00012 I now have Thrasher #00014. Thanks all of you for your posts I read them before ordering it. Haven't taken it out to the range but I love the look. Bought an Iver Johnson Eagle two months ago, and it shot a 2 inch group at 20 yards with 230 gr generic ball ammo. One reason I looked at the Thrasher when looking for a CC weapon. Will be happy if the 3 inch barrel comes close to that. Will give a full report after I hit the range this week.

#24 ·
Thrasher # 00012 I now have Thrasher #00014. Thanks all of you for your posts I read them before ordering it. Haven't taken it out to the range but I love the look. Bought an Iver Johnson Eagle two months ago, and it shot a 2 inch group at 20 yards with 230 gr generic ball ammo. One reason I looked at the Thrasher when looking for a CC weapon. Will be happy if the 3 inch barrel comes close to that. Will give a full report after I hit the range this week.
The eagle is their government model with bomar type sights, correct? How's it fit and finish wise? I've never seen any up here in the oh so cold North, wouldn't mind finding their Trojan model since it's as close to the old pre 80's series Combat Commander as a guy is going to get. I recall in the M1911.org review they talked about some unusual wear, possibly from the gun being too tightly toleranced, wondering if they got an early model, a dud, or if it's indicative of the entire lineup.

#25 ·
Fit and finish are excellent on both. Yes the Eagle has adjustable Bomar type sights. I just got back into 1911's after 30 years away, and found the Iver Johnson's to be what I think is one of the best values. It is my understanding that they are hand fitted at SAM in the Phillipines. Will give a fuller report later in the week.

#26 ·
Yeah, they're SAM products, had a friend with an SAM Elite and that was nifty gun. Hard to find, had a raised flat on the top of the slide and it was just a murky blue, looked black and hard and handled wonderfully. ATI also imports SAM firearms as well know, I think Century still imports the straight up SAM models but I cannot vouch for that. A place up this way called Fleet Farm sells some Century imports like the Arcus 98 and 98C and some of their AKs so I figure I'll ask them if they still import.

#28 ·
Just got back from the range. Thrasher is accurate, but not as accurate as the Eagle. Shooting 230 Gr Federal Round Ball. It would hold a 4 inch group at 20 yards. Needs new sights however, they shoot high and to the right, Substantially. Am going to look for adjustable Novak sights. Kick is not all that much more then the Eagle. Shot the Eagle again today. What can I say, that gun is just great to shoot. I am impressed with these pistols. By the way Mills Fleet Farm is great. It's the store Sears Roebuck was 50 years ago. I am not that far away from you Kodadek.

#29 ·
Yeah, Mills is great, the Man's Mall as I call it. Anything from guns to light fixtures, bags of nuts, old fashioned candy, I get my Carhartt's there, feed, my dad buys a lot of filters for his Ford 8N right from that locale. I hate shopping but I can spend a day or two in Fleet. Dad used to buy my Ertel farm stuff there as well. Now that they carry handguns I vist even more and I buy their WPA 7.62x39 steel cased ammo for an SKS my dad owns from time to time. 4.89 per box. Plus all the AR-15 goodies really makes it worth the trip. Still like L&M and a few other Fleet Supplies but I have real fond memories of Fleet Farm...wonder if I ever got hitched if I could have my wedding there?:biglaugh::rofl::rofl:

Where'd you pick up your Iver Johnsons? Online? Or is there actually a dealer I somehow missed?

#31 ·
Well I just got home from the range and after putting 100 rounds through my Thrasher I am very happy with its performance. Even though it is a compact 1911 with a 3" barrel I found the recoil to be no more than my RIA1911A1 with 230Gr FMJ, very managable. How ever GI magazines do not feed properly while my 2 ACT-MAG's and the Kimber compact mag I bought worked perfectly in the gun so it's kind of picky as to how you feed it. I would have no problems recomending it as a great entry level carry gun that you can rely on. Since this was part of my CCW class I was with about 8 other shooters, I was the only one there with a 1911 .45cal pistol. Every body else was shooting 9mm's, I'm not knocking the 9mm but I firmly believe in "Go big or go home!" ;)

Best regards,

Rich

#32 ·
Just my .02 cents. I have an Iver Johnson Hawk and couldn't be happier with it. It's extremely accurate and with 400 rounds of Winchester FMJ, I've had zero failures. I carry this gun daily with no issues. I traded my Springfield Mil-Spec in on it and honestly haven't regretted it. For me at least, it fits my hand and is a lot more comfortable to shoot than the Springfield......Mike....

#33 ·
Had the sight drifted over today by a gunsmith. At 25 yards off a rest it is right on with 230 gr FMJ. Mine did not have the Novak style sights like in the Iver Johnsons website picture. Also mine was completely brushed stainless, instead of a mix of brushed and polished like their website shows. I like this better. Kodadek, I just had my gun store order it from their wholesaler who had it in stock. Switched to smooth rosewood grips on my Eagle. Just my preference, for full size 1911's I like smooth grips. Looks very classic now, still tack driver accurate. Now I got to get some bargains on 45 ACP ammo, gave up reloading 12 years ago.

#36 ·
Speak of the devil. I've had a couple of issues with the recoil assembly in my Thrasher. The first was after around 400 rounds. The philips screw that holds it together just broke while I was firing the pistol. Thank God it happened on the last round. The shop I bought the pistol from quickly got the part replaced (the philips screw) and I was back to shooting again. About 250 rounds later that same screw had beat up against the junction where the barrel link meets the barrel so bad that the barrel link was no longer able to swivel. Once again locking up the slide rendering the pistol useless. My gun shop actually replaced the entire pistol after seeing what had happened. Having that screw on the recoil assembly like that was really a horrible design flaw. I replaced it with a Kimber recoil assembly. It ran great with absolutely no damage to the barrel or barrel link but it too broke after a few 100 rounds.

#37 ·
Glad you guys are having better luck with yours than I did with mine. Had multiple issues with the Thrasher I bought and it spent more time in the shop than in my possession. Lost all faith in the weapon after the last failure on the range and knew I would not ever carry it; so I returned it and got a S&W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.