1911Forum banner

unique in 45 acp

51K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  JavaJoe 
#1 ·
Does unique 6.1 grains sound about right for a mid 800fps load
seems like this was what i used in past

#4 ·
I don't have access to my books right now (at work), but if memory serves me, at one time 6.5 gr of Unique under a 230 FMJ was considered as an equivalent to factory/military hardball. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#6 ·
It’s been a long time since I loaded Unique but IIRC using a 230 gr. LRN, 6.0 gr. Would give right around 850 f.p.s. in most full size 1911’s. (That’s the only 45 acp load I’ve ever chronoed using Unique)

Jeff

#38 ·
I get that same load out of my Speer #11. I tried 5.6grs, seemed a bit light. Then I tried 6.0grs and it was a bit warmer then I like so I'm going 5.8grs. Suppose to be good for 849fps with a 230gr lead bullet, that's basically a Ball equivalent load IMHO.

#9 · (Edited)
With Unique and 230 gr FMJ's I prefer hotter loads like the one you describe. I have tried low power loads with the combo and they don't work very well. Same goes for Red Dot. The only low power loads I like with this combo are were with Bullseye.

Question?- anyone out there ever load Blue Dot with the 230 gr FMJ and get an accurate load? If so, what was it.

#13 ·
Question?- anyone out there ever load Blue Dot with the 230 gr FMJ and get an accurate load? If so, what was it.
The only time I used Blue Dot for .45acp ammo was with a 250 gr. SWC (normally a 45 Long Colt bullet) for an experimental bowling pin load. Don't remember exactly how much powder (it was quite a lot), but even with a 22 lb. recoil spring & shock-buffer it tended to batter more than I liked. Plus, the recoil was heavy enough that follow-up shot recovery times were slower than with more normal loads. Accuracy was fine for the 25 ft. distance to the table. Since I was getting adequate pin action with less extreme loads, the experiment was abandoned.

My experience with Blue Dot would indicate that it's only useful for more exotic/specialty loads and is not recommended for normal practice and practical shooting competition. Just my $.02 worth, your mileage may vary.

#10 ·
I’ve been using 6.0 grains of Unique for many 1000’s of .45acp loads (all bullet weights) and I’ve had terrific and consistent results… cast, plated & jacketed all seem to push between 800-850fps.

#14 ·
Considering that there are reloading manuals, and free ones to boot, it is much safer to check several manuals than to ask. Of course a chronograph helps.
After examining the manuals it is good to ask about accuracy or whatever.

Considering the low cost of a chronograph I think every reloader should have one. Then with the info in the reloading manuals plus the chronograph he can develop the loads that suit his needs.
It is fun too.

Of course some of us have extra screens, and you might guess why.:biglaugh:

Regards,
Jerry

#17 ·
It might work but...

I have never loaded Aliant's very nice powder, Unique in 45acp cases because there is so many better powders out there. Aliant makes a ton of very good powder, I know, because I use them. But not Unique in 45acp. Currently, I am using Aliant's very nice bulk powder, PROMO. It is just like RedDot. With a 200 grain cast lead SWC, 4.0 to 4.2 is the classic target load.
Why use a slower powder when a much faster one with a much lower charge rate will do....

#18 ·
Unique is a very versatile powder....and a very fair choice for making full velocity loads, IMO, especially with heavier bullet weights....

We made several thousand .45 acp FMJ rounds with 5.5 gr of Unique prior to switching to 231, only for the fraction of a cent saved per powder throw.

Something almost magical about '5.5 gr of Unique'....it works well for:

a good light load for .38 Super,
a 10mm plinking load,
.40S&W service load,
and 9mm 'factory-like' 115 gr FMJ loads...

#20 · (Edited)
Warning speer #11 reloading manual

Pg.438 230 gr.FMJ 6.9 grs. Unique 851 fps THIS IS A MISPRINT IN THE :mummy::mummy:MANUAL Pg.435 230 gr. Lead RN 5.8 grs. Unique 849 fps :D:D:D This the Number #11 manual printed in 1987. Be carefull :( 6.0 grs. of Unique should be close to 850. The manual load is probably a 1000fps and about to spike in pressure as Unigue powder can due suddenly.

#27 ·
American Rifleman 45ACP LOAD

Are what the Speer reloading manual says either. I have shot this load 6.9gr. of Unique a few times and wondered why it had so much recoil. When I sarted using lead 230gr. Bullets I compared the loads in the same manual and noticed the 1.1 Grain difference before I realized something was off. When I was searching for 45 Super Data I saw this load cronographed at around 1000 Fps. I guess that explains the recoil. I had backed down to 6.3 grains any way and even checked calibration of my scale and tried a different lot of Unique. I guess the new advice should be check two are more manuals in case there is a misprint?:hrm:

#30 ·
Hornady #7 lists 6.1 gr. as their max at 850 fps with any (4) of their 230 gr. bullets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.