1911Forum banner

Would you accept this?

11K views 63 replies 45 participants last post by  karlglen101 
#1 ·
Would you accept this?

I Just received a new hard chrome monolith today and noticed a couple things. The front sight was cocked slightly clockwise. You can see that the sight is raised out of the dovetail on the left side. Also the front had less than desirable finishing. Send it back to Baer?

See less See more
#5 ·
I wonder how this one passed muster during the test firing?
Maybe Les doesn't shoot them all. At least the sight should have been noticed.

Send it back.

#7 ·
First off. Great detail in your pictures. After all the time you had to wait, and the money you paid, you have to ask yourself if you're happy with it. Are you happy with it? The answer to the question is a resounding NO. Otherwise you wouldn't have gone to all this trouble. I would send the pictures to Baer, and wait for a response. I'm sure they will remedy the situation ASAP.

#8 ·
After reading the post, I made a trip to the safe to check out my HC Mono.
Surprise! It shows distress in the dustcover edge in the same location as the OP's, although not quite as severe--I hadn't even noticed it previously.
Also, when the slide is retracted, there's a significant raised burr on the inside of the dustcover which is apparently is what's left of the material that was removed from the dustcover edge. I suspect there's a common cause for the edge distress on mine and the OP's Mono, but given that I didn't notice it until the "heads-up" in the post I suspect that I wouldn't have fussed about it a year ago even if I had seen it then.

The front sight, however, is perfectly mounted. The rear sight did require a significant drift to zero properly.

#12 ·
I hate to be the guy sending stuff back, but i think this warrants a fix. Especially since its a Hard Chromed 1.5" gun. I just bought my first LB 1911 Custom Carry last month and it was perfect. Just like my LB AR-15. I'm sure this is not normal.

This Mono HW is going to be my favorite gun so i want it to be as good as it should be. I already called and they told me to just send it back and Les will look at it.

As an aside, i threw 4 mag's down range to see if it functions...........man this thing is accurate! And not bad pic's for a camera phone right?

#13 · (Edited)
Definitly send it back and try for a new frame, you should also put in a new primed unloaded case and see how the primer strike is. It may be off center.

My friend just got his blued monolith back from the factory as it would not function properly and had off center firing pin strikes. The gun was returned and it was supposed to now function properly, end result the gun still malfunctions every 5-7 rounds with WIN ball ammo and the primer strikes are still off center.

He told me he will probably trade the gun on something else, he really hates to get rid of it as it is very accurate though.

#16 ·
the good part

Definitely contact Les and send pictures. They'll take care of it. Where did you get the gun? Just asking, because I wonder if someone along the way might have jacked with it? Hard to believe someone at Baer wouldn't have noticed the end of the slide.
OK, so now for the good part. I bought it from John at CJ 1911 heaven. He was awesome to deal with and i had it in two days! So i can't rightfully complain about the wait. I called him with what i wanted and expected an extended wait time and he actually had it in stock. Not one but two of them. Good guy. Very helpful and i doubt he mucked with it.

That being said, it is a good question. I'm sure some gun shops let everyone who walks in play with a special order before its sold.

#17 ·
I guess we will see..... I'll keep everyone posted.

I'm not OCD and looking for 100% perfection, I understand its a hand fitted gun. I'm just looking for the quality that comes with spending the money, plus the additional $$ for the 1.5" and HC finish. If its going to get banged up, i want to be the one to earn that stripe.

#19 · (Edited)
My opinion -- this is not satisfactory for a high-end 1911. Maybe it would pass muster for a $600 gun but not for a high end 1911.

Usually I'm in the Wilson Combat section, but the title of this thread in another premium manufacturer's section just happened to catch my attention.

I do think it's generally best to contact your manufacturer first, before posting; but I also understand that you're merely asking fellow 1911 enthusiasts whether they think it's worth a complaint. I think this one is a fair complaint (the flaw is much more than a normal machining mark), and if it's corrected, I think Les B. deserves a tip of the hat with a follow-up post.

#23 ·
My UTC came with a clockwise leaning front side blade and off center primer strikes. Baer put a new front sight on it and installed a new barrel. The primer strikes are still way off but Les told me that off center strikes "don't mean nuthin" and the gun was "ready to rock and roll".
What I've got now is a gun that is very accurate, functioning well and while it's still very tight it's getting buttery smooth....and it's easy to claim my spent brass at the range... with just a glance at the primers!
Based on my single experience with Baer customer service I'd guess they'll make that gun right.

#29 ·
Why not send him the pics and then talk before paying for shipping. Spoke with him on the phone the other day. Enjoyed speaking with him and learned a thing or two about Baer pistols. My impression was that he is a really nice guy as is his staff that I spoke with. I have to say I was very impressed on how quickly he called me and the fact that the actual owner of the company took the time to address my questions. Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.