1911Forum banner

FEG Hi-Power

58K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  seagiant 
#1 ·
I didn't have much luck with the search feature and FEG being that it is three letters... I can pick up one for about $300 and wanted some opinions, good of bad...

Thanks,

Allen

#3 ·
There's a lot of info on the Hungarian FEG HP clone, but in a nutshell they are good, legitimate guns. FEG has been out of the gun business for five years or so, but before that they had decades of experience making the Hungarian military and police guns as well as other ComBloc countries'. They began to export small arms to the USA after the falling of the Iron Curtain. The AKs are legendary along with the HP clone, the PJK-9HP.
Here is one of those along with a 1969 '69C' High Power. You can see that they are almost identical.

I term the FEG fit and finish 'military' - not as smooth and perfect as an FN, but certainly functional. At the same time, the PJK-9HP has a beautiful blue job in some serial number ranges - others not so much. Slide and frame are forged steel. Barrel is standard HP-type two-piece, excellent quality. I find with FEG guns generally the steel is tough but not extremely hard, so contact surfaces will peen rather than break. There are some other model numbers on the FEG HPs, like P9 and P9m. Some models depart from the standard HP barrel camming system, and these will have a modified slide stop that does not have the half-circle on the pin end. If you pay that much for an FEG HP, you'll want both original magazines, which are excellent quality, with parkerized bodies and cast aluminum followers.

Now, you have to be careful, because there are several FEG pistols that are double-action, based loosely on the S&W Model 59. These are good pistols but are not 'high-powers' in any way, shape or form. Sellers tend to call them 'high-powers' anyway, which really creates total confusion. As you can see from my picture, an FEG HP is exactly like a Browning/FN HP, including parts interchangeability (for the most part drop-in, but some require more fitting). Here is an FEG P9RK that, while it may have some HP styling, is certainly not any kind of HP. Yet, it would be called one by most sellers.

Find out what you're looking at and get back with us.

#5 ·
It is definately a single action hi-power clone... It only has one mag, a 15 rounder, probably a mec-gar... A local gunsmith has it and I have done business with him before... We discussed it briefly but I can't remember who imported it... The one distinguishing trademark I remember is that it had a vent-rib on the slide with fixed military style sights... I will be going back by his shop Wednesday and will take a more detailed look...

#7 · (Edited)
Put your wallet in your pocket, go down there and buy that pistol. I picked up a FEG BHP clone that was in almost pristine shape for the same price and have been very pleased with it. It functions great and I've turned it into a dedicated suppressor platform. At $300 I think this is a terrific value in a service pistol. The only place it suffers in comparison with a modern Browning is the small thumb safety, but even that has a more positive "click" than my Brownings, which I like. In this photo I have put on some cheap Browning grips, but this is certainly one facet of the FEG you can play around with until it feels just right.

#8 ·
Slow down!

There is the FEG Hi Power and then there is the FEG Hi Power. One is a Hi Power clone and the other is based on the S&W auto internally.

The Hi Power clone is (almost) universally interchangeable with FN/Browning parts, so if something breaks it can be fixed.

The S&W version is not interchangeable with anything, so if something breaks you have an expensive paperweight.

The only way you can tell the difference externally is to look at the frame just above the trigger. If there is an oval there (see the ovals in the pix in post #3) then it is a true Hi Power clone. Buy it! That oval is the same cam found in a true Hi Power.

If there is no oval, it's still a good pistol unless something breaks. I'd avoid it.

#10 ·
See what I mean about terminology?
I'm not talking about the double action FEGs.

I'm talking about two single action FEG types that have wholly different operating mechanisms based on the Hi Power and/or the S&W systems. These two types have been sold with the same model designations.

#12 ·
That's not right. The only difference in the two kinds of FEG HPs is the barrel-camming system. The first type is the typical FN, and as you said the second type is the S&W-type that does not have the cross bar in the frame. These two types can be found under several model numbers as you said.

'Your right about the DA feg models being clones of SW 59 series, but if you compare a SW 59 and a hi power, you will see a lot of the hi power design elements went into the sw59 series design, but in a SA/DA model.'

That's what I said, the double action has some HP styling, but that still doesn't make it an HP. Neither FEG or the importers ever termed the double action pistols 'Hi-Powers'. They wouldn't have because they're not. Even the magazines do not interchange. In fact, I don't think there is a single part that would interchange, not even grips.

#11 ·
There are 3 variations of feg hi power clones in single action.
1. Is identical to a 1960's t or c model ring hammer BHP
2. other variation looks just like the first model, but it has a 1911 style slide stop and it may have an extended safety.
3. last variation is the ventilated rib model, with the 1911 style slide stop.
4. Then if you want to get picky then include to charles daly feg with novak style sights and an extended safety.

All of these feg, kareen hi power single action clones use the same internal mechanisms and most parts interchange with one another.

Your right about the DA feg models being clones of SW 59 series, but if you compare a SW 59 and a hi power, you will see a lot of the hi power design elements went into the sw59 series design, but in a SA/DA model.

#13 ·
That's not right. The only difference in the two kinds of FEG HPs is the barrel-camming system. The first type is the typical FN, and as you said the second type is the S&W-type that does not have the cross bar in the frame. These two types can be found under several model numbers as you said.
No, it's exactly right. If you have the S&W version and something breaks internally you're screwed, which was the point I made. There are no parts available unless you can find another one (broken) and cannibalize it for parts.

I'd just take that into account when purchasing a FEG. If it's the S&W version, I'd offer considerably less than for the FN version.

#24 ·
...Notice the slightly different shape of the SLIDE STOP on the above FEG. That slide stop is the same as the one used on the double action FEGs.

Even though it is a single action, it uses the S&W type barrel cam method, and is therefore not a true clone of the FN Hi-power.
I have one that looks exactly like your minus the safety and DOES use the standard Browning barrel cam. It will accept High Power barrels.

#17 · (Edited)
This is interesting! I was wondering if there is any difference between the FEG clones with the BHP set up but with different looking slide stops and safetys??? Here is a couple of pics to show the difference in style of controls.

I just bought a FEG that is a perfect copy of the BHP with small sight and small safety and the BHP type slide release,for $350. I know that's not a great deal but it is LNIB and Bubba never got near it!

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Seagiant, if it's LNIB for $350 and it's the true BHP clone, you scored bigtime. I paid $90 more for one a few months ago. The gun in the first photo is the true clone of the Browning Hi Power. The second photograph is of one of my guns taken on my deck a couple of years ago and used in the article "Decoding the FEG Hi-Power." In it FEG simply incorporated its own slide stop design, and hadn't yet incorporated the Smith and Wesson operating system into the gun. The first photo is a P9, the second a P9M, or "Modified'. I'm told that the P9M can have its slide notch recut to the same shape as the original, permitting the use of the original slide stop. That being the case, I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy a nice P9M as long as it still had the Browning operating system and not the Smith and Wesson variety.

Harpersend, I have encountered the vent-rib model marketed by two different importers and with different model numbers. The old Kassnar company and its later spinoff, KBI, both of Harrisburg, PA, marketed this gun as a version of their PJK 9HP. CAI, or Century Arms International marketed this version as the FP9. If it has the word "Kassnar" spelled out in its import markings, it is part of the original batch marketed during 1985 and 1986. If it has "KBI" on it, it was marketed in 1992 or later.

I have never heard of one of these vent-rib guns having the Smith and Wesson operating system, but it's entirely possible that they might have made such an animal, given the volume of wierd things FEG did to remain a viable company along towards the end of its run. Like the others have said, it's really a good idea to check it out.

Anyway, I have seen some of these guns with elegant blue jobs on them and regret passing them up. Best wishes.

JayPee

#19 ·
Thanks JayPee,
I have the exact copy of the BHP MkII by FEG. I was curious about the difference between the exact clone and the "modified" model! Sorry about the pic but was the only one I had to try and show the difference in the pistols and what I was talking about. Thanks again!

#20 · (Edited)
You're welcome, Seagiant. No problem on the pic. Glad it was of help to you. The thing buyers have to be careful about is that FEG used its new slide stop design in guns having both the Browning operating system and the Smith and Wesson style operating system, so you cannot assume it has the Browning operating system just because it has the in-house FEG slide stop in it. On the other hand, FEG Hi Power pistols having the older or original Browning Hi Power slide stop are always seen with the Browning operating system. I've never heard of a FEG Hi Power using the Browning slide stop in company with the S&W style operating system. FWIW

JayPee

#21 ·
While we are adding illumination to the description of variations, it may be worth noting that the feg copy of the hi power is based on a browning type 65 variant of the classic hi power. The browning mk ll variant was something offered from at or about 1982 to at or about 1988 and feg never copied it.

#23 ·
As Jaypee has pointed out in his excellent blog, FEG's Hi-Powers were constantly evolving. Here is my P9M marked one with Browning operating system, their extended non-ambi safety and a Browning style slide release.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.