1911Forum banner

Blemished DW models?

12K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  chris288 
#1 ·
I have read more than a few threads about blemished Dan Wesson pistols making their way into people's hands. I think it's even Dave Severns' own retail page that indicates that he does NOT deal in blem'ed guns.

So, my question is, are those models advertised as such, and priced accordingly? Or do those less-than-100% units make their way into the retail distribution chain?

I may be in the market for a new Valor, but would like to know what the story is with the affected guns.

Thank you.

#2 ·
The blemished DW's are marked with an upside down Y to the right of the serial number, IIRC. From my understanding, though I have never seen one in person, the actual blemishes are very small and barely noticeable by eye. I have heard of dealers not knowing the difference, though others offered the blems at discounted prices. Also, from my understanding there is nothing wrong with them shoot-ability wise, it is only cosmetic.

#5 ·
I have a blem PM7 and even though I've had it awhile now, I have never been able to find any visible flaw.
My understanding is that guns used as sales samples and at shows could also be marked as blems.
Mine looked to be unfired when I got it, and the price was great.

My PM7 is probably my favorite gun to shoot, and it shoots
way better than me!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is no doubt that DW identifies their blems to the dealers as such. Whether a dealer does the same to a customer is unknown. There is no doubt a different price to the dealer from DW for the blem but who knows if that is passed on to the end customer.

ETA: Sorry, hit the wrong button. hopefully nochange to your post was made... my bad! Dave Severns

#13 · (Edited)
There is no doubt that DW identifies their blems to the dealers as such. Whether a dealer does the same to a customer is unknown. There is no doubt a different price to the dealer from DW for the blem.
Afraid this isn't necessarily true, on both assertions. While I believe both DW and CZ try very hard to identify and disclose blems, I can say with 100% certainty that leaks do happen, and blems have been introduced through the pipeline without any disclosure or reduced pricing. How would I know? Because we've unknowingly received them, of course.

I can also say with 100% certainty that not all flaws are minor, external flaws. How would I know? Because I personally inspect the guns, and have personally witnessed same.

If you do some research, you will be able to identify essentially all possible combinations of events regarding blems:
. Blems properly identified, properly priced, properly warranted, properly communicated to the owner, and properly sold to a happy customer.
. Every imaginable combination of factors listed above, where the word "properly" has been replaced with the word "improperly".

Been there, have personally lived that. Want no part of it. I can see buying a "second" when buying a pair of socks, but not when buying either a prophylactic device or a $1000+ weapon. To each his/her own. :)

#8 ·
My VBOB is a blem. Even came with a tag attached that said (something like) "Bump in finish left side of slide". I have never been able to find said blemish, despite going over it carefully under bright lights. Saved me $300+ off normal price. Yeah, I'll take a blemish in the finish that no one can find for that.....:rofl:
Each one is different though, so make sure you, or a trusted dealer, can inspect it first. I've never heard of DW selling any blem that is on any functional part, or that would affect safety in any way.
Good luck!
Sarge

#10 ·
I have a blemished PM-7. It has an upside down Y on the serial Number. My understang is that the new blems either no longer do this or only have it on the Serial number under the grip.

#11 ·
My CCO was purchased last week and came to my FFL with a Y. This gun had somewhat blurry roll marks on the frame. For what I saved I couldn't be happier. I would not hesitate to buy another DW blem, friends could not find blem until I pointed it out.

No tags on gun said anything about the blem, and I have not checked for marks under the grips.

#14 ·
@ Dave;

Not all dealers are as diligent as yourself; so if one was in the market for a new 1911 what would be a good approach in addition to a visual inspection, racking the slide a few times and dry firing the weapon. A few dealers that I have been to have individuals that can't answer even some basic questions and they definitely won't let any type of disassembly take place. I know this issue has been brought up a few times, so are there any OBVIOUS signs to look for? Or is it the type of situation where if one buys a 1911 a no issues arise then all is good?

Thanks,

#15 · (Edited)
Quickly, I made roughly the following statement some 3-5 years ago regarding blems: It's all about risk and risk assumption. As long as everything is proper in terms of flaw identification, pricing, disclosure, and warranty, and as long as the customer is perfectly informed and happy with everything, then all is well.

Unfortunately this doesn't always happen in the real world. Believe it or not, not only are gun shops sometimes less than perfectly informed; the same can be said about gun manufacturers, distributors, and end consumers. I care about my reputation, but moreso about my clients. not simply that they walk away initially satisfied, but that they remain so long after the sale.

I REALLY try to be an advocate for those new to 1911s and Dan Wessons, Baers, etc. They are often relatively ignorant about all things 1911, but they are typically trying like hell to become knowledgeable. As such, they often don't know what to look for, or what is fair pricing, or what is acceptable performance, etc. I choose to assume much of the risk for them, by not offering anything other than top quality, and hopefully, reasonable service, advise, instruction, etc. This removes unknowns, and all parties get exactly what they want.

Wouldn't it be interesting, as a hypothetical example, if someone here bought a blem with an "undetectable" flaw, only to find during their first detail strip inspection that the gun did exhibit an internal flaw of some sort. Dont know, but that situation might just exist, outside of the hypothetical. For those here who claim to have "perfect quality" blems, I'd simply offer that folks who build guns for a living don't typically offer to accept less money and identify their product as a blem for no reason...

#18 ·
There are several Blems right now on Gunbroker, including several CCO's.

Saving $300+ may be the only way some folks can afford these fine guns.

Besides, I'm always looking for a deal. Assuming the blem is on the finish and a CCO is going to be a carry gun anyway (finish will NOT stay pristine), it would seem like a good deal.

#20 ·
I was looking for a Guardian in 9mm.
Found one on GB for $1300. Contacted dealer BEFORE bidding. Auction and ad and description made NO mention of being a "blem". I asked dealer if weapon was NIB, he said "Yes, doesn't it say that in the ad?". I asked if weapon was first run and told him I called to affirm weapon offered was NOT a "blem". Dealer became VERY indignant, told me "of course its a Blem!!!" I can't sell it for less than what I pay!!!". I replied it made no mention of being blem in the auction. He then went onto rant. I hung up. No Blems for me TYVM. What is it the Greeks said? 'Let buyer beware'

#23 ·
My 2009 Valor blem is astoundingly good, especially considering I paid $1040 for it. The only "blems" I can find on it have occurred through use and handling. Someday when it gets ratty looking it will be sent to Severns for his hard hat.

#24 · (Edited)
Many blems are being sold as first quality. Some by dealers who know what the blem designates and are preying on the unwary consumer, and some being sold by dealers who themselves are ignorant about Dan Wesson pistols to begin with. One gets what one pays for. We have 2 simultaneous threads running on this forum about that right now. If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is. This has been going on with DWs for years now.

Buyer beware!

#34 ·
guardian blem here. mine is in the coating. just a bit light around where the serial number is, and it is apparent that if the grip and slide were not protruding there, and there was constant contact with that area and "something" it would rub away pretty quickly... but then again, you can get a new spray coating for 15 bucks....

for the record the guy I purchased from on grunbroker disclosed it openly as such, and made me fully aware of the "flaw". have nearly 1000 rounds through my guardian so far and no flaw in shooting after the first couple of mags loosened her up. I would buy blem again without hesitation, as long as the price was proper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.