1911Forum banner

Mag options for my DW CCO

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Gerlon2fingers 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum and am also new to the 1911. I have owned my DW CCO for a total of three days now. I have been shopping around for some extra magazines. I'm a little confused on what will work with my pistol. Wilson seems to make the 7 round magazines but they don't state if they are compatible with the DW. Wolff and Checkmate also make 7 round magazines but I'm not sure if they're compatible either. I know DW makes them but would also like to see what else is available. Maybe they all are compatible and I'm just clueless. Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

#3 ·
That's great, thank you for the info :)

#4 ·
I see that a lot of the mags have welded floor plates and some have removable floor plates. Is one better then the other or is it just a matter of preference? I imagine the welded floor plates fit more flush in the mag well compared to the removable ones.

#7 ·
You have much to learn grasshopper. As a general rule those with removable baseplates have extended tubes and are not flush to the bottom of the grip, but this isn't always the case. The Kimpro Tac Mag is flush and has a removal baseplate. Also, keep in mind that with flush compact mags the original intent was to put 6 rounds in the tube. Checkmate and Chip McCormick figured out how to create a folding follower which allows you to cram another round in there, but some believe you do so by downsizing the spring and then compressing it too much thereby reducing the spring life and reliably. Others thing it works just fine. Regardless of how you come out on that debate, there is no debating that cramming another round into the flush tube makes it harder to seat the magazine with a closed slide. It in not uncommon for folks to mix and match. They will use a flush mag for carry (6 or 7 rounds), but will use a non-flush (typically with a slam pad/large baseplate, and either 7 or 8 rounds) for their backup.

Also, most of the gun manufacturers (including Dan Wesson) use others to make their magazines. The Dan Wesson magazines are private labeled Checkmate magazines. I believe the Kimpro Tac magazines are also manufactured by Checkmate.

As for the Wilson magazine, a search of this forum will reveal that some have had to modify the basepad to allow the magazine to seat properly. I have no personal experience in this regard, but it made me leary.

Also, be careful with Chip McCormick (CMC) mags. They are supposed to be excellent magazines, but his follower is known to damage aluminum frames. He has developed a modified follower that is supposed to be aluminium frame safe, but I have no personal experience with it.

#5 ·
removable ones allow them to be cleaned or to have the guts swapped down the road.

#6 ·
Good info, so welded floor plate mags are not upgradeable. That's good to know. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.