1911Forum banner

Which (Red dot)Ultradot for bullseye shooting?

13K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Jerry Keefer 
#1 ·
25mm or 30mm?

4moa or the matchdot with the 2,4,6,8?

Or should i consider something else...thanks....also if 4moa is about 4" of dot at 110 yards....is 4moa at 50yds only 2" in size...or am i backwards on thinking? Thanks

#2 ·
I have the Ultradot Matchdot which I used for indoor Bullseye league and NRA Action Pistol. For the indoor Bullseye, we shot @ 25 yds max, and I used the 2 moa dot. For NRA AP, I use the 4 & 6 moa dots. I like the versatility of the different dot sizes.

Yes, you are correct that @ 50 yds the 4 moa dot would cover 2" dia of the target.

I don't have a good opinion of the 25 vs 30mm.

#3 ·
30mm yes
i like the 4 dot, not the match dot.
When i'm holding hard i use the smaller dot. But when i'm shaky or tired i use the larger size dots. I get more x's with the smaller dot, but i get more 10's with the larger dot. Remember a 200 0x beats a 199-19x every time. Jim p

#5 ·
I have never found a difference. When switching to a 30mm , i never had to change the load for the gun to continue functioning. Nor did any of my friends who use them. Jp

#9 ·
While I've never owned one of their match dots, I have owned both the 30mm and 25mm UD's with the 4 min dot. Wether it's just habit or familiarity I don't know, but I went to using nothing but the 25mm UD. 8 at the last count on a variety of 22's & 45's. The one time I did try a buddy's matchdot, I just didn't care for it.

My experience with the heavier 30mm is consistent with JimP's. there was no changes required in the load or springs.

FWIW

#12 ·
Here's another vote for the ultra-dot, 4-dot version. I alternate between the 8 and 12 min. dot size for bullseye. I find the using larger dots tends to dampen the "dancing dot" appearance, which decreases my tendency to snatch at the trigger. Even the 12 min. dot doesn't completely cover the black on a standard 25 or 50yd target.

#13 ·
You will find a great variation in suggestions. Mine would be to ask your friends at the range to shoot their guns in slow fire and rapid fire with their dots. make sure to try a 25mm and the 30mm. Try the 30mm matchdot. Try the 2moa dot on the matchdot and the 8 moa dot for rapid fire.
My general recommendation is that most shooters really would be perfectly fine with the 25mm Ultradot (4moa dot only). I really don't think the 2moa dot helps a shooter shoot better (maybe call a shot slightly better). Just my opinion.

Everybody's eyes and brain are different from yours. You really need to try the dots for yourself and find what is best for you. And yes, you might end up buying another dot after using it for a while because you'll learn that you like different size dots or tube after all. Happens to a lot of us.

#14 · (Edited)
It depends on the level of committment you are putting into the game. If your goal is to be a high level competitor, seek out the best. The present trend at the top, is turning toward the Aimpoint Micro.
It is superior in quality and performance to anything else out there..(Dots only malfunction and or break at Camp Perry during the rapid fire phases) :):)... But, it comes with a price..both initial purchase expense, and installation that most effectively compliments the outcome.
If you are content with the occassional league night bullseye session, the Ultra Dot is going to serve you well.
Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.