1911Forum banner

Carrying an Expensive gun?

4K views 41 replies 37 participants last post by  Larrys1911 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a problem carrying an expensive gun. I usually carry one of my Glocks but have recently got into a nice Kimber 1911. It carries well and has proven itself reliable but it costs twice as much as a new Glock. I would hate to have it confiscated if I had to use it to defend myself. That being said, I'm sure there would be bigger problems ahead than the confiscation of my new gun if not all of my guns if I shot someone. What if it is confiscated for something minor. I wouldn't miss my well used G22 or G27 but my $1000 Kimber might be missed.
Any comments, should I carry it or leave it at home?

#27 ·
I want to carry a gun that goes "BANG" every time I pull the trigger and that has the features that are important to save my life.

If I was a mountain climber would I want to use a "cheap" rope because I would be afraid to lose my expensive rope?????

My .02

Emerson

#29 ·
Whether a gun cost $500 or $2500, it must be reliable. If it goes bang every time you pull the trigger and you know where the trigger is, it should be adequate.

I wouldn't carry a gun for looks. first place, you don't want anyone to know you are carrying and secondly Looks don't make a gun go Bang.

Whatever your choice, learn your gun inside and out. Learn how to tell if you have a loaded chamber in the dark. Know how to clear a jam without looking. If you are going to carry it, know how to use it in EVERY circumstance.

JMHO

dj

#30 · (Edited)
...just a thought.

Would have to agree with all of the above posters....the cost is not an object. That being said there is one time one may consider bringing with one a piece of lesser value as long as it is just as effective, reliable and accurate in ones hands as the "pricey piece".

Many states or cities are less than "gun friendly". Many of those areas are where you REALLY need a gun. If one has to travel to said locals with the opinion of, "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6", one may want to have a piece of lesser value in case there was a "problem".

If arrested for simple possession without a permit, the LE agency could file to have your gun taken "for the use of the State" even if the conviction meant that you could still own and carry firearms.. If however it was a felony or you were not able to own friearms after, at least the expensive one could be sold for more money than the one lost. If lost to the State, it is also a lot easier to replace a Glock than a hand built 1911 based on a model maybe no longer availabe.

Example... PI I know was going from one bodyguard assignment to another in Kalifonia. He stopped in NJ to confer with several LE agencies and spent the night before going to JFK in NYC for the flight to Kalifornia. He did the normal, declared his guns at the checkin desk. The clerk called an officer over for what the PI thought was an inspection of the guns prior to them being locked up and checked in...wrong. The PI was arrested for not having a NY Pistol Permit. He ended up pleading guilty. In the plea bargin the charge was reduced from a felony to a misdormeanor. The PI was placed on probation to his home state for two years. The real big JOKE...while on probation the State of NY said he could continue to be a PI and own and carry guns!!! His home state however said anyone on probation could not even possess a firearm or have one in their home. His guns however, a Glock and a AR15 pistol were confiscated by NY "to the use of the State".

I have a S&W 6906 that goes with me "sometimes" instead of the 50s vintage non-replaceable Commanders I normally carry. Some places are just not gun friendly.

Bob

#31 ·
rayjay said:
If you're not a LEO and you have to use an expensive carry weapon to defend your life you better have the weapon pictured and SN#'s recorded before they take the weapon. If you have a Wilson CQB, STI, Les Baur, etc.. chances are good you'll get the same weapon back in about......a year or so. After half the department has had their turn shooting it. And there is a chance that your high $$$ blaster might get "lost" or "misplaced". Around this neck of the woods high $$$ blasters get "lost" all the time. It's amazing how fast they get "found" when the owner shows up with a lawyer, picture of the weapon, and original receipt.

What a stupid comment! I dont know what B.F.E department you worked for, but real Police Dept's will take your weapon and hold it until the grand jury comes back with a "no bill". After that, the weapon is returned to the owner.(Usually around two to four weeks) I cant imagine breaking into the evidence locker and taking a piece of evidence, then taking turns shooting it, and still calling yourself a Police Officer!

#32 ·
Big_Jim said:
Does anyone have a problem carrying an expensive gun?
Wouldn't be caught dead without it!

Big_Jim said:
Any comments, should I carry it or leave it at home?
Of course you should carry it.

#33 ·
Just assuming you never get the gun back (if you are justified you will, but lets just assume you wont) whats the harm in losing one if you use it to good effect and save your life? Or even two? Or three?

How often do you get in gunfights and isnt being as prepared for one as possible worth the risk of being without it for awhile in the event of an investigation?

#36 ·
When I was an officer, a gun used in an on-duty shooting was sent to the ME's office for ballistic comparison. You usually got it back in 3-4 weeks, but sometimes messed up, as they would do a complete detail strip, but not always put it back together correctly. They also test-fired it with the crappiest ammo you can imagine, stuff Pancho Villa would have rejected, and didn't clean it. If it was a contact-distance shooting, it might come back with the dead bad guys splatter on it.

Sometimes they'd come back damaged, so any gun taken by the ME was sent to the Dept. armorer to get checked out. Enough people threatened to beat his ass, and they finally stopped taking them apart, and let the Amorer do it (to check for unauthorized mods).

As for civilian carry, I agree with the previous posters. I wouldn't carry an heirloom I plan to pass to my kids,(don't CCW with a Union Switch & Signal 1911! :biglaugh: ) but if they take my custom carry gun, I'll fork out $1500 for another one, so what...

#38 ·
I usually carry a Springfield PRO customzed BHP or a customized HKP7
my car gun is a Kimber Pro tac because i dont like leaving the others in
grit and crap under the seat.Im sure most folks think nothing of driving around
in our 35-75k vehicles the guns are relatively cheap insurance.I buy the
best i can afford in all things,in protecting your life you should not skimp
on training,ammo or hardware.

I seriously doubt that many PD's will take evidence and use it for 'entertainment' in this day an age,maybe in a three guy one car "Dept' in the 'Boonies'. :rolleyes:

#39 ·
rayjay said:
If you're not a LEO and you have to use an expensive carry weapon to defend your life you better have the weapon pictured and SN#'s recorded before they take the weapon. If you have a Wilson CQB, STI, Les Baur, etc.. chances are good you'll get the same weapon back in about......a year or so. After half the department has had their turn shooting it. And there is a chance that your high $$$ blaster might get "lost" or "misplaced". Around this neck of the woods high $$$ blasters get "lost" all the time. It's amazing how fast they get "found" when the owner shows up with a lawyer, picture of the weapon, and original receipt.
rayjay, your predujiced, gross over-generalization of LEOs is awfully naive and completely without merit. A picture of the gun won't make on iota of difference.

#40 ·
I didn't say ALL police department were like that. As far as the picture is concerned it is used to make sure you get it back in the same condition as when you handed it over to the police.

OOnaughtspy and spddogman
I've worked in law enforcement for many years and I have seen alot of crap that would make you sick to your stomach by fellow officers and criminals. As for myself, I kept my nose clean and did my job. As far as being naive, no I don't think so. What you call naive, I call honesty. As far as my last post being stupid. Well thats your opinion and thank you for sharing it. I wish you both well with your LEO careers and be safe out there, it's a jungle.

#41 ·
I carry a Wilson CQB or a Kimber Series A Gold match. Both are over $1000 guns, why? Because they are reliable and I shoot them well. Both weapons will feed empty cases. if i have to use one to actually shoot someone as long as I survive the battle it can rest in an evidence room. I will carry the other one while it is on vacation.

#42 ·
I carry a Glock just to get that out of the way.

I wouldnt much worry about how much it costs and getting it taken though.
there is a much bigger chance you will screw it up (scratches/dings/wear/etc)just carrying it than there is you will use it much less getting it taken.

In addition you will most likely spend way more $ on atty fees than your gun costs. :bawling:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.