1911Forum banner

Carrying in Washington DC

9K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  CavCop 
#1 ·
Going to DC just after Christmas for about a week. Obviously you cannot carry in a lot of places because of restrictions. I am a retired LEO from Dade County, Florida and have my carry permit and my HR 218 card. I am going to take a gun with me just in case we are out on the town at dinner or somewhere at a mall. Anybody ever encounter any issues in DC, I know they do some silly crap up there regarding gun laws. Just want to verify the mag capacity and ammo restrictions. I am probably going to take my Sig M11A1 9mm which has a 15 round capacity. Do I need 10 round mags ? Any info is helpful so I can plan accordingly. Thanks:)

#40 ·
You guys have been a great help with this information. The last thing I need is to get arrested in DC when I am with my family, but I am not going to be a victim either. I have a couple of 10 round mags on order for my Sig M11A1 9mm so I will satisfy the mag capacity requirement. I normally load with Critical Defense, I understand that is OK to carry. :rock:

#44 ·
Heck even the regular ID went from Armed Services to Uniformed Services circa Obama.

In the Military I always did what my Commanding Officer would support. I served with some bold commanders, but none would support me being armed off duty, off base, out of uniform.

#45 ·
Received my 2 new 10 round magazines from MecGar this weekend so I am ready to go. My only dilemma is I might have to take more than 1 gun with me. I think the CBOB will go on vacation with me also. It will keep my Sig M11A1 company. I like variety :rock:

#54 ·
Yup, my feelings exactly, go Old School! My travel gun for trips to the NY/NJ area (maybe DC also, if I ever go there again) is my old 2" bbl five shot S&W Model 38 Bodyguard revolver, with a couple speed strips. It's old and well worn, and if it gets lost or stolen out of my airline checked baggage, I won't cry too much since it isn't particularly valuable..... and the airline can buy me a new one!

#47 ·
Well, Made it back home from DC without any problems and the same amount of ammo I left with. Had a great time and no issues anywhere I went. Ate at some great restaurants and drank some good local brews. People were friendly and the security people were great. I called ahead to the Smithsonian the day before and they said no problem, just bring credentials. Overall great trip :rock::rock:

#51 ·
Glad to hear that everything went well. I haven't been to DC in years, sounds like I'll need to take ride down sometime.

#50 ·
I apologize if I missed a post on the topic, but who has experienced going out of either Dulles or National with checking your weapon, etc.? They are the likely points where I will be entering and exiting the D.C. area this fall. Do the local airport personnel recognize our HR218 authority or is attempting to check a weapon something that is going to create some nightmare situation?

#52 ·
I did not fly this time, we drove up. I never had any problems and I carried everywhere. I just identified myself and everything went smooth. The only place I would not attempt is the White House or the Capitol. I talked to alot of cops and they were all cool. The security people at all the places we went to were totally awesome and gave me no trouble at all. With the way things are nowadays I am sure they are glad to have the extra help around if the **** hits the fan. :rock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.