1911Forum banner

Thunder Ranch

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Zippo Joe 
#1 ·
Being an old fan of TR and the Smiths, you all might be interested to know that it would appear that 2004 will be the last year of Thunder Ranch as we have come to know it. They will be moving to the north west and have a new facility. As you all know, Heidi is from Oregon and they want to get a little closer to home and to the buffalo hunting that they love so much. Those of us who have been and know the philosophy of Clint Smith will come to realize that we will have been a part of our own Camelot and what we have experienced will cause us to become members of a unique fraternity.
I realize that this is going to be hard to accept but thats life, folks, and I wish them all the happiness, success and joy in their new lives. The disposition of the actual facility there in West Texas is unkown.

#2 ·
Bummer. That being said, I somehow doubt the current facility is going to just revert back to the landowner (Thunder Ranch is not owned by Smith). I suggest this as Smith has continued to update the facilities there and even expand them quite recently. My guess is that it will get passed on and be run by someone else and no doubt under some other name.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. The land is owned by somebody else and hence the structures on that land would revert back to the landowner at the end of whatever contract has been arranged.

#3 ·
sam, don't be sad! Be glad! Finally, the wise man in Tejas (well, the wise man from Fort Wayne) after ACSD, API, HK, etc. gets to be his own boss. And if he just wants to sit around in a teepee and summon bison spirits or chill on a boat with Steve Miller, or whatever they do out there in the hairy-chested West, he has long deserved it.

One of the Gunsite hatchlings will take over at the Matthews joint in Tejas. Plenty of seedling growing in the shadow of the oak. He'll be back with a new skul which we'll all be raving about.

Doc SWAT and I will be down in April for GPR. I'll have Peter ask Heidi about the future and report back.

Be glad! :cool:

#4 ·
:(

Good for Clint and Heidi, if that's what they truly want. I have to admit though that I am selfishly bummed, because, having been to my first class just this past November, I want to take more and more classes under their direction and will have to travel much further to do so.

I assume that this is the "School of Arms" under the "Future" link on TR's site.

If anyone has more details please share.

#5 ·
Thunder Ranch closing?

:mad:

Thunder Ranch is moving? Closing? Big Changes does anyone know?

Does anyone have Clint email address?

#12 ·
Hey Guys!

If you want safe, high quality defensive firearms training in Oregon then you should check out the
Oregon Firearms Academy !!

I recently attended their Glock class and they had us moving and shooting at moving, bobbing, running targets with no shoots all over the place!!! What an experience!!

They also hold offsite classes over in Bend, OR but I'm sure that they'd make arrangements to hold classes elsewhere if there's enough interest!

It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or an "expert" the instructors at OFA WILL challenge you at whatever level you are at and help you "step up" to the next level.....safely!!!

Oh yeah, as far as the weather goes, I've shot and qualified at their range in everything from the hot sun of the 90's to the rain and sleet of 30-40's so be prepared for all types of weather!

Hope this helps!!

-Zippo Joe :cool:

#13 ·
Zippo Joe said:
Hey Guys!

If you want safe, high quality defensive firearms training in Oregon then you should check out the
Oregon Firearms Academy !!

I recently attended their Glock class and they had us moving and shooting at moving, bobbing, running targets with no shoots all over the place!!! What an experience!!

Sounds like our monthly IDPA match.:D

#14 ·
Guys,

NOT to get into the +- of IDPA or ANY other type of "competition" or that I'm saying it's bad or anything BUT the Self Defense instruction that OFA teaches is not "competition" based, it is to STOP a threat that is trying to do grave bodily harm to you or a loved one. The classes are NOT matches or even set up to compete against the other students with a one "winner" outcome as are "competition" based matches.

There are no rules in any type of fight but there are rules in "competition", so it's up to you to determine and gain the training that best fits your needs.

Just making a helpful suggestion on some great training in Oregon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.