1911Forum banner

How many rounds per range trip?

5K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  Mick0610 
#1 ·
If I'm going to shoot say 700 rounds a month. How many should I shoot each trip to the range? 100 per trip and go 7 times a month or 200+ and go 3 times? Just wondering what way will be more likely to help me shoot better.

#2 ·
My limit is 200 rds of handgun ammo... max. After that, my focus starts to fizzle out, so I'm just wasting ammo and not getting "good" practice. Everyone is going to be a bit different, but it's something to consider.
I always try to shoot from standing, prone, sitting and barricade, left and right handed. The idea is to hit what I'm aiming at from any common position... and I don't get to worried about group size.

#4 ·
I vote - "More visits, less rounds per visit"

I also fizzle out around 150-200 rounds. Depends on caliber, but still an accurate number.

I could probably shoot 500 .22, but I don't own one because they're just a little too boring for me..(not because I'm too awesome for it or too accurate, mind you, just need some real recoil!)

#12 ·
It depends on what you are doing at the range....I am actively shooting USPSA events where my round count can average 400 rounds. In order to properly practice I need to shoot that many rounds when I go to practice. Having said that it has pushed my round count up to an average of 3K rounds per month and while not cheap its worth it.

The combination of starting to shoot competitively and taking high quality training has probably improved my shooting more in the last six months than the prior twenty years.....and it has only made it all the more enjoyable.

#13 ·
You guys that can't stand and shoot more than 150 rounds before your shooting starts to suffer:
Start shooting USPSA. A local match may only be 150-200 rounds but you are going to have to take 4-5 hours to shoot it.
A major may be 300 rounds and take 8-10 hours.

Concentration on the task at hand...

#16 ·
I usually shoot 100-150 rounds per handgun each range trip. Sometimes I take just one, other times I take two. The past couple of weeks I have been shooting both .45's. I shoot 3-4 days a week. The last two months I put over 2000 rounds thru my CZ, it's resting now while I'm getting some needed range time with the others.

#17 ·
It appears I am pretty normal in that I limit my rounds to 150-200 typically. Probably 50-75 max per gun. I do say that if I am shooting steel it is normally higher. But for target the concentration definity drops off quicker.

#23 ·
Headed out now to two ranges. It's plates at 20 yards with a coworker until 0900 at ASC. Then I meet up with my son and head to JCSSA with others to shoot USPSA stuff.
So it'll be 500 rounds today ( + .22 ) but there's no match tomorrow and skeet will be the plan. Gotta finish and test fire a Colt 6921 so I'm figuring on the usual 800 rounds for all guns this weekend.

#29 ·
Well shoot! I broke another DP FO sight on my .40 Trojan at the 350 round mark today but had the .45 Trojan along as a backup. I got in another 100 rounds of .45 before Jr ran out of Super. We sighted in the new upper and played with some 870s until we ran out of 12 gauge. I'm over 500 today and we'll be on the skeet range tomorrow with a new case of Estate 2,3/4 dram 1,1/8 oz light stuff to shoot up!
No rain please!

#25 ·
I shoot between a 100 to a 150 rounds per trip of .45 acp depending on if I have company with me or not. Usually twice but if I am lucky three times a week. This keeps me fairly proficient with a pistol. It's funny but I shot a .22 bolt rifle with iron sights earlier in the week for the 1st time in about 8 months. It was a friend's rifle that I had never shot before. Once I went through about 20 rounds I was dead on at 75 yards. I was impressed. I guess the longer sight radius & ability to shoot from a supported position makes all the difference in the world. To shoot a pistol that well at 15 yards takes an incredible amount more practice to say the least.

#30 ·
I usually take around 100-150 for handguns, but always take a rifle and shotgun with me every time as well. I think the true answer would come from you. The reason for going to the range in my opinion is to get used to the firearm or just practice better shooting. If you can handle more ammo and remain accurate then there you go, however if you cant you would take less ammo, then you can go more often.
In my opinion, to each their own. Everyone is different.

1911 parts section to site.
http://www.pythonent.com/1911-parts-c-510_532.html

#31 ·
It depends on the range visited. Many wont let you do anything other than slow fire, no holster drawing, or in rare cases even use human shaped targets. Those ranges 100 rounds 7-25yds just working on groupings. On other ranges that allow a little more latitude I shoot until I'm out of ammo.

#35 ·
I will bring about 300-400 rounds for all pistols. I fill all mags, then bring add'l 2 boxes. I may or may not go through all the ammo. Depends on how much time I have and if I'm with someone.

#36 ·
Well, 700 rounds is 100 7-round mags. 10 mags go pretty fast if they're already loaded, so I'd say figure on shooting 20 mags per trip, which comes to 5 trips.
Another factor is the pistol - most guns will start to malfunction after about 150 rounds as firing residues combine with lubricants and get gummy. Now the 'IPSC' shooters will disagree about that, but they lube their guns with the knowledge that they have to keep working for more than 200 rounds. I lube mine to last through 2 mags. Since I only carry the mag in the pistol, I'm good, and I never have rust. :)
But on another note, just shooting away doesn't accomplish much. Most likely you'll just keep 'burning-in' your bad habits. You have to know what you're trying to accomplish, such as improving your double taps, for example, which would probably eat up some ammo. Trigger control is probably best practiced at home by dry-firing with a laser to show where the pistol was pointed at the instant of ignition. Reloading is also easily practiced without firing. Get some dummy rounds so you can release the slide as you would when actually loading.
I think a sane, analytical approach to fixing what is wrong with your shooting would use a lot less ammo and have better results. This may best be accomplished with a good coach. Otherwise, you may not recognize what you're doing wrong.

#37 · (Edited)
Another factor is the pistol - most guns will start to malfunction after about 150 rounds as firing residues combine with lubricants and get gummy. Now the 'IPSC' shooters will disagree about that, but they lube their guns with the knowledge that they have to keep working for more than 200 rounds. I lube mine to last through 2 mags. Since I only carry the mag in the pistol, I'm good, and I never have rust. :)
But on another note, just shooting away doesn't accomplish much. Most likely you'll just keep 'burning-in' your bad habits. You have to know what you're trying to accomplish, such as improving your double taps, for example, which would probably eat up some ammo. Trigger control is probably best practiced at home by dry-firing with a laser to show where the pistol was pointed at the instant of ignition. Reloading is also easily practiced without firing. Get some dummy rounds so you can release the slide as you would when actually loading.
I think a sane, analytical approach to fixing what is wrong with your shooting would use a lot less ammo and have better results. This may best be accomplished with a good coach. Otherwise, you may not recognize what you're doing wrong.
Yeah, I'll have to disagree with some of that. I don't have any pistols ( or any guns ) that start to malfunction around the 150 round mark ( or 500 rounds for that matter ).
If your guns do that there's something wrong.
Having a coach is nice but not necessary if you're training right.
The target and the timer will give you plenty of info IF you let them.
Some of the good shooters shoot thousands of rounds all day by themselves and make gains. By themselves or with a friend for a reason: minimal distraction!
Mixing up the drills ( even guns ) helps. I shoot with my son.
He's not a coach, he's 30 years younger and fiercely competitive with me.
HE MAKES me pull out all the good fundamentals AND speed or he'll beat me.
He shoots Open, I shoot LTD so I have to use MY brain right to stay ahead.
After 300-400 rounds, I can barely stay with him and his open gun inside 10 yards so I move up back to 15-20 yards. It makes him work his fundamentals
to keep up with me and we both gain.
What will shut us down is a hot Texas day!
We bring rifles and shotguns to play longer!
He gets a coach but I rarely say anything to him. He knows how to
read a target and watch his times.
I get a big push if I get lazy and slow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.