1911Forum banner

Hornady Critical Duty?

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  sergeant69 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a chance to shoot Hornadys Critical Duty? Looking at getting some 9mm for my Springfield EMP. Little leery as I have heard of problems with Critical Defense and it is essentially the same technology.. Pro/Cons/Thoughts? Thanks!!!

#4 · (Edited)
TNoutdoors9 has tested the 9mm+P and 40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZFZFmBKa0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrenK4N_qY&feature=relmfu

In these calibers, there do not seem to be the same issues of hanging on feed ramps that the .45 has (mostly in 1911's). If anyone says there are, ask them to provide direct links to proof, rather than "I've heard...."

I wouldn't go with it, unless I were somebody most interested in a low recoil round. There is simply better stuff out there for less money.

#5 ·
I'm gonna preach it again because I'm on the Federal Kool-Aid hard.

Federal Tactical HST 147 grain non +P (P9HST2)

I have looked around a lot and it sure seems like the one of the best. The guys at Federal told me flat out it was never supposed to get to the home owner market and they still will only ship to departments but a lot gets out.

It is hard to find though so let me know if you need a tip :)

#10 ·
i'm gonna preach it again because i'm on the federal kool-aid hard.

federal tactical hst 147 grain non +p (p9hst2)

i have looked around a lot and it sure seems like the one of the best. The guys at federal told me flat out it was never supposed to get to the home owner market and they still will only ship to departments but a lot gets out.

It is hard to find though so let me know if you need a tip :)
+1

#7 ·
The differences I have seen are weight retention, glass penetration and expansion consistency. Truth be told I'm sure they are all very good no matter what you go with on Delta's list.

The lady at Federal said if I could not find any HST's to go for the Speer Gold Dot's (which apparently they also make) in the same weight as they perform nearly identically in the same categories. They look nearly identical with only the side scoring stopping a bit short.

#8 ·
CD is not a good choice

A better choice would be Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST

#12 ·
I really prefer the Federal Hydrashok and HST ammunition for defensive purposes in my .45 & 9mm and I use critical defense in my .380. The critical duty is hyped as being able to shoot through glass windshields and still be effective on a human body. I don't need to do that in my home. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.